Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Stop writing cr@p all over Buff's page thread. What bike is good for the job..  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Robski

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Buy the ticket, Take the ride.
Sorry Buff,  ;D

Here is a thread so that we can all banter on about what the perfect bike for Off-road racing is..

What you lloking at buying, what you heard about being sold etc.
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
Sorry Buff,  ;D

Here is a thread so that we can all banter on about what the perfect bike for Off-road racing is..

I bought a KTM 250sxf. MX bike. But whatevs
Think a KTM 300 xcw will be the perfect bike for me ;D

Offline Robski

• Race Dog
  • Buy the ticket, Take the ride.
Sorry Buff,  ;D

Using it for racing?
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
Sorry Buff,  ;D

Using it for racing?

Nope not yet. Dont think I will either. I couldnt afford a 300 so the 250 came along and I bought it.
I am just using it for playing around. Cant start racing this year anyway.

So thought I would just play with this and buy a 300 when I have the time to start racing. Hopefully next year. :ricky:

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
I own a virtually new 2008 RM 250 which I trail ride and mess about on. It is not really ideal for what I use it for and it is always trying to kill me.

I have done a bit to the bike like add a long range tank and a flywheel weight but it needs more so I am toying with the idea of throwing money at it to make it enduro friendly; things like Recluse clutch, 18" rear wheel, damper, complete revalve and respring of forks and shocks, reeds and reed block spacer etc. I think the WR gears work on the RM too, but will have to do some homework on that.

Do you guys think it is worth spending money on this machine, or should I just cut my loses and buy an enduro bike???  
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Dux

The RM250 is not a bad base for enduro as far as mx bikes are concerned , a friend used one from 07 to 09 and we made a few small changes which had good results .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
The RM250 is not a bad base for enduro as far as mx bikes are concerned , a friend used one from 07 to 09 and we made a few small changes which had good results .

What changes did you make Donald? My one tries to rip my arms off everytime I ride it; the flywheel weight hardly made a difference.

Offline Buff

I haven't been at the Offroad thing for long and I'm on a steep learning curve but I've realized a few things already. What works for one guy may not work for another. Your skill level, your weight, your height (or rather the length of your legs), your fitness, your age and what sort of terrain you ride all play a roll it what will work for you.

Case in point is me and my two dirt bikes, the KDX and WR. I ride on a little technical track in Skellembos. From my place to there is around 17km's of open dirt riding and then I ride the track. Some times I take the KDX and sometimes the WR.
Getting to the track is much more fun on the WR. It loves the open stuff and I can give it horns but on the track itself it's a little pig, difficult to turn in and not easy to launch over obstacles.
The KDX on the other hand is the opposite. Okay, not quite, it's also fun getting there on the KDX but the track itself is way easier. The bike turns easier and is much lighter to handle on the tricky stuff.

So what I'm saying is it's horses for courses. Look what terrain you will be riding the most and your decision making will be easier... I think  ??? ;)
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Dux

What changes did you make Donald? My one tries to rip my arms off everytime I ride it; the flywheel weight hardly made a difference.

Flywheel weight ( maybe more than yours ) and suspension mods . Of course I have found way too many 2 strokes where the power valve timing is incorrect , that on its own has a drastic effect on power delivery .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Well, I went to go look at a KDX200 today. It is the 1st time I have really looked at the bike and actually sat on one.. it was a lot bigger than I expected. I really thought it would be smaller. So just by looking at the size of the bike and my lack of fitness, I think it is a good bike.

The problem I have is that I am not experienced with bikes so I tend to go with what I know and I don;t look outside the box.. so with the KDX I am at least not looking at a Honda. I went to go price some KTM's and they are just out of my budget.. that simple.

What are you looking to spend on a bike, my max budget is R20k
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
I own a virtually new 2008 RM 250 which I trail ride and mess about on. It is not really ideal for what I use it for and it is always trying to kill me.

I have done a bit to the bike like add a long range tank and a flywheel weight but it needs more so I am toying with the idea of throwing money at it to make it enduro friendly; things like Recluse clutch, 18" rear wheel, damper, complete revalve and respring of forks and shocks, reeds and reed block spacer etc. I think the WR gears work on the RM too, but will have to do some homework on that.

Do you guys think it is worth spending money on this machine, or should I just cut my loses and buy an enduro bike???  

Don't do the 18" tyre I did it on 2 bikes waste of fuel money. Rather take her to CPR or Tom 747 racing  so that they can tweak the suspension for you. also fit Billet clutch basket and hub one of my favourite mods. Also fit water bottel from a KLX 450 or WR 450 for when the bike overheats.
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time

Don't do the 18" tyre I did it on 2 bikes waste of fuel money. Rather take her to CPR or Tom 747 racing  so that they can tweak the suspension for you. also fit Billet clutch basket and hub one of my favourite mods. Also fit water bottel from a KLX 450 or WR 450 for when the bike overheats.

Don't you get a lot of flats with the 19" rear wheel?
What does the billet clutch basket do that is different to the OEM one. I must say, compared to the CR250 I had before the RM, the clutch is shite. Not sure why I sold the CR, in standard MX trim with a long range tank it made a nice enduro bike that did not try to rip my arm off all the time.  
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:12:09 pm by Rough Rider »

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • MobiBins
This one.

Now close the thread.

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time

Flywheel weight ( maybe more than yours ) and suspension mods . Of course I have found way too many 2 strokes where the power valve timing is incorrect , that on its own has a drastic effect on power delivery .

I took the bike to Tim Bossan who fitted the biggest flywheel weight that would fit without having to fit spacers behind the cover.

How do you check the power valve timing?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:12:32 pm by Rough Rider »

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
are you all at least agreeing that 2 stroke is the better way to go

Muz
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline sting

• Pack Dog
Would like to try a race on my Husqvarna WR250 (2T). Pulls like anything and should be perfect. Pity mine is so unreliable. Have pushed it 6km+ on two occasions in 35 degree heat.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
SO what you are saying is you are fit  :laughing4:

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
are you all at least agreeing that 2 stroke is the better way to go

Muz

I started off on a KDX and had three or four of them before I went to a 4 stroke. I absolutly loved my KX250F, what a bike. But after two engine rebuilts, with less than 60 hours on the bike (I bought it new so I know how many hours it had exactly) at over 7K a pop I had enough and bought a CR250R 2 smoke. I won't lie I miss the KXF, but the maintenance was killing me.

BTW the best KDX is the 220, but they are hens teeth.  

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum

I had a RM250 that I used for Enduro..

The design (ergonomics) has not changed much since Greg Albetyn won the outdoor on it, and it is a very good track bike, it turns like few other.

It is also it's downfall for Enduro's, scrubbing off after a long straight, and it shakes like a wet dog... so even if you get the engine offroad "friendly", there are other characteristics that need taken care off.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
Would like to try a race on my Husqvarna WR250 (2T). Pulls like anything and should be perfect. Pity mine is so unreliable. Have pushed it 6km+ on two occasions in 35 degree heat.

I am surprised those bike are known to absolutly bullet proof.