Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Stop writing cr@p all over Buff's page thread. What bike is good for the job..  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Robski

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Buy the ticket, Take the ride.
Looking for a 2011 or newer Husaberg 300/250 or KTM 300/250.
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
Nothing lasts....

Nope...the crux is fixing though. 
In my limited experiance, 4t is much, much more expensive.

The main issue with a 2t is the powerband, proper porting and sensible tuning sorts that.

The fact that people take an MX 2T bike, slap on a FMF high rev exhaust does not make the bike crap, merely inappropriate.

For tight, slow work nothing beats the fact that a 2T runs cooler, and can take a lot more clutch abuse than a 4T.

Case in point, David Knight (very few of us, if any, has his experiance) prefers the 450 4T, but for extreme enduro's, still reverts back to 2T

You guys are thinking of the CRF's, KTM-f's etc not the little WR 250 F.

Dux how many km's did the Theron family do on that little WR250f ????? Kobus won the WC 200cc Enduro championship so he wasn't plodding along. After that the new KTM250F much faster, but that bike was a granade.

Change the oil of these small bore 4 strokes every 8hrs and keep the air cleaner clean and they will surprise you massive.

Rough Rider. Rossouw and Clint does Atlantis almost every Sunday. Their 4 strokes did over 300 hrs. Trust me when you start pinning it a 4 stroke will outlast teh 2 stroke by a mile. I was cracking psitons on my 2003 KX 250 at 15 hrs. After that I went to a YZ 450 2006 that Huggels bought from me that bike did almost 4 seasons (2 full National seasosn) and had 1 engine rebuild and 3 pistons. The piston changes was precautions and the engine rebuild was due to a broken waterpipe.

Donald do a coparison of cost for a normal psiton ring change for a YZ250 vs YZ250F (not a grenade engine a maintanace change). Now add the cost of 2 stroke + fuel thayt the 2 stroke uses more. Once again I am talking about a maintained 4 stroke not a wreck. Set the valves often(and you will find they are never too far out. The valves will last VERY VERY long if they are not run out of spec.

And then reason 1. You will be doing better in the technical as a newbie or novice. We had a 2013 KTM250xc, KTM250f, Wr450f, KTM300xc and my YZ on my farm last year around Oktober. The little Wr250 out climbed evrything else. Yes the KTM250,300 is the machine for hard enduro's if you are at least competant and fit otherwise they are no fun.

I will keep on saying this. The Yamaha Wr250f is bulletproof, capable and cheap to maintain. Too much ego involved when people buy bikes. Think I need to get one for a race or 2  >:D
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Nothing lasts....

The main issue with a 2t is the powerband, proper porting and sensible tuning sorts that.

The fact that people take an MX 2T bike, slap on a FMF high rev exhaust does not make the bike crap, merely inappropriate.

For tight, slow work nothing beats the fact that a 2T runs cooler, and can take a lot more clutch abuse than a 4T.

Case in point, David Knight (very few of us, if any, has his experiance) prefers the 450 4T, but for extreme enduro's, still reverts back to 2T

Dux how many km's did the Theron family do on that little WR250f ????? Kobus won the WC 200cc Enduro championship so he wasn't plodding along. After that the new KTM250F much faster, but that bike was a granade.

Change the oil of these small bore 4 strokes every 8hrs and keep the air cleaner clean and they will surprise you massive.

Rough Rider. Rossouw and Clint does Atlantis almost every Sunday. Their 4 strokes did over 300 hrs. Trust me when you start pinning it a 4 stroke will outlast teh 2 stroke by a mile. I was cracking psitons on my 2003 KX 250 at 15 hrs. After that I went to a YZ 450 2006 that Huggels bought from me that bike did almost 4 seasons (2 full National seasosn) and had 1 engine rebuild and 3 pistons. The piston changes was precautions and the engine rebuild was due to a broken waterpipe.

Donald do a coparison of cost for a normal psiton ring change for a YZ250 vs YZ250F (not a grenade engine a maintanace change). Now add the cost of 2 stroke + fuel thayt the 2 stroke uses more. Once again I am talking about a maintained 4 stroke not a wreck. Set the valves often(and you will find they are never too far out. The valves will last VERY VERY long if they are not run out of spec.

And then reason 1. You will be doing better in the technical as a newbie or novice. We had a 2013 KTM250xc, KTM250f, Wr450f, KTM300xc and my YZ on my farm last year around Oktober. The little Wr250 out climbed evrything else. Yes the KTM250,300 is the machine for hard enduro's if you are at least competant and fit otherwise they are no fun.

I will keep on saying this. The Yamaha Wr250f is bulletproof, capable and cheap to maintain. Too much ego involved when people buy bikes. Think I need to get one for a race or 2  >:D

I loved my KX250F; and like you say Tau, these new generation 250F's haul. There was nothing that my KXF could not climb that others were climbing, including the biggest of the dunes in Atlantis.

I was definately faster on the 250F than I was on any of the 450F's I had the pleasure of riding in any terrain.

My RM 250 on the other hand is fun by tires the hell out of me; I think I am getting too old for these beasts  :biggrin:
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Robski

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Buy the ticket, Take the ride.
I have entered the open class with WCOC and WPATV and don't even have a bike yet..

So I know I will be missing a couple races, and points, but I guess this season isn't really about the points.

I have no real experience on the 450/250 4t's and therefore sticking with what I know.. 2t's.

Then yamaha, kawasaki, suzuki and honda don't make 2t's set up for enduro, so ktm, husaberg are my choices. Now just to stick it out till the end of the month so I can afford one  :-\
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
Nothing lasts....

I loved my KX250F; and like you say Tau, these new generation 250F's haul. There was nothing that my KXF could not climb that others were climbing, including the biggest of the dunes in Atlantis.

I was definately faster on the 250F than I was on any of the 450F's I had the pleasure of riding in any terrain.

My RM 250 on the other hand is fun by tires the hell out of me; I think I am getting too old for these beasts  :biggrin:

Don't forget the Roof last year was won a 250F.

Offline Buff

You mean a 290F... that bike was modified somewhat to run with the big guns. There's a write up on it in this months Enduro World mag.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
You mean a 290F... that bike was modified somewhat to run with the big guns. There's a write up on it in this months Enduro World mag.

Yeah I heard it was bastardized; YZ top end with a WR bottom end, not sure if it was stroked or bored to get to the 290cc though.

Offline Toors

Yeah I heard it was bastardized; YZ top end with a WR bottom end, not sure if it was stroked or bored to get to the 290cc though.

it get's a brand new big bore kit with new head - available as an aftermarket ad-on
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time

it get's a brand new big bore kit with new head - available as an aftermarket ad-on

I see in your signature line you have a KTM 350; that class of 4T bike must be the best of both worlds.

If I bought a new enduro bike I would have a hard time deciding if I want 250/300 2t or a 310/350 4t; and then of course decide which manufacturer.

Offline Toors

I see in your signature line you have a KTM 350; that class of 4T bike must be the best of both worlds.

If I bought a new enduro bike I would have a hard time deciding if I want 250/300 2t or a 310/350 4t; and then of course decide which manufacturer.

I really enjoy the 350 - it is very different than most other bikes though.  it is probably as fast as the 450 but lighter and way easier to ride, but it likes to be revved and ridden hard, this means you have to change more gears to keep it in the sweet spot:  you get used to this very quick though.  the big negative is that it is 4t which means more and more expensive maintenance compared to a 2t and a 250/300 2t is substantially (5kg) lighter than the 350 - in tek conditions this does make a difference.  Why I prefer the 350 to the 2t is that it has more usable and tractable power, it feels more stable and it vibrates less.  the best all round bike is still probably the 300 2T - it is as fast as the 450 and it has plenty of torque combine this with the light weight it is superb bike .   

As far as manufacturers go (un)fortunately KTM is leading the pack in SA by some margin and although the husqavarnas, Betas and Gas gas are good bikes,  their second hand value sucks - by some margin - and the KTM's (other than maybe Yamaha) service and parts availability are by far the best.  There is a reason why upwards of 80% of the roof entries are on KTM's
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • The Tool from Tulbagh

I really enjoy the 350 - it is very different than most other bikes though.  it is probably as fast as the 450 but lighter and way easier to ride, but it likes to be revved and ridden hard, this means you have to change more gears to keep it in the sweet spot:  you get used to this very quick though.  the big negative is that it is 4t which means more and more expensive maintenance compared to a 2t and a 250/300 2t is substantially (5kg) lighter than the 350 - in tek conditions this does make a difference.  Why I prefer the 350 to the 2t is that it has more usable and tractable power, it feels more stable and it vibrates less.  the best all round bike is still probably the 300 2T - it is as fast as the 450 and it has plenty of torque combine this with the light weight it is superb bike .   

As far as manufacturers go (un)fortunately KTM is leading the pack in SA by some margin and although the husqavarnas, Betas and Gas gas are good bikes,  their second hand value sucks - by some margin - and the KTM's (other than maybe Yamaha) service and parts availability are by far the best.  There is a reason why upwards of 80% of the roof entries are on KTM's

First KTM in a longtime that I want badly, however too fat for her.
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
A lot of good info on this thread thanks guys  :deal:

I'll be getting my first full offroad bike this week if all goes well. This thread helped narrow down my options and I rode a couple of bikes this weekend to help solidify my decision. Budget also dictated a bit but I think I have found a very first starter bike. Will post some pics when I get it   :thumleft:

Dwerg jy moet darem teminste vir ons se waarna jy kyk. KTM300 :peepwall:

Nope. Met my budget was my keuses maar min. Die bikes wat ek sover gery het was 'n KTM300, YZ250, 450X en 'n WR450. Dis nie een van hulle nie  :lol8:

Wil net kyk dat die deal deur gaan dan sal ek post  :deal:

:laughing4:

En in die meantime kan jy n goeie vergelyking en report vir ons skryf vir die wie se budget so klein is dat ons nie eers een van daai kon test ride nie :deal:

Wel eks nie 'n kenner nie maar ek sal probeer.

Die YZ wat ek gery het dink ek was stock. Hys vinnig, brieke is baie goed en hy draai asof hy op n spoor loop. Die vurke was bietjie hard en het my n paar keer laat skrik op die rowwe goed en hy het baie maklik gestall. Als goed wat die ouens uit sort met die WR conversion en flywheel ens. maar ek sal eerder n bike koop wat van die begin af reg is.

Alhoewel ek net n rustige ride op die 300 gevat het was hy awesome in elke opsig. Hy was net crazy hoog. Ek het omtrent elke keer wat ek moes stop om gemoer en kon nie in die bos weer terug op klim nie so ek moes op die peg staan en weg trek  :lol8:

My favourite van die 4 strokes wat ek gery het was die WR450. Weet nie of dit die spesefieke bikes was wat ek op gery het nie maar hy het bietjie rustiger as die 450X gevoel en het my ook nie so moeg gemaak nie. Die WR was die lekkerste op die meer rof en tight goed maar op die meer oop stuff was die 450X hope pret.

Die bike wat ek dink my persoonlik beste sal pas is n 200 2t. Ek het nie die skill om die groot bikes se potensiaal te gebruik nie en sal eerder iets vat wat ek my skills mee kan bou en wat nie SO hard gaan byt as ek dinge verkeerd kry nie. As ek nuut kan koop sal ek die WR250 baie sterk oorweeg. Eks net bietjie skrikkerig om 4t tweede hands te koop
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
Dwerg KTM200 en die WR250F is albei ysters jy kan nie fout maak nie.
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
Dwerg KTM200 en die WR250F is albei ysters jy kan nie fout maak nie.

Kyk actually na 'n GasGas oor hy bietjie laer is vir my kortgat  :lol8:
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Toors

I weigh a 130kg (without gear) and she has more than enough (you'll make a mistake to go for a 450 (unless you only do open stuff)) - made some small mods to suit me:
    upgraded the springs for my weight - by Hilton Hayward
    52 rear sprocket (makes 1st super strong and ride tek in second and third) it has six gears afterall
    KTM sx pipe - give it more torque
    map switch to switch between mild and wild
    KTM 350 XCF-W
    KTM 1050 Adv

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
    • Hang time

I only have one response to that statement; get you fat ass in the gym  :laughing4:

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
    • Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • Cobus van der Merwe
     :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks Dwerg. :ricky:

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
    • Race Dog
    • The Tool from Tulbagh

I weigh a 130kg (without gear) and she has more than enough (you'll make a mistake to go for a 450 (unless you only do open stuff)) - made some small mods to suit me:
      upgraded the springs for my weight - by Hilton Hayward
      52 rear sprocket (makes 1st super strong and ride tek in second and third) it has six gears afterall
      KTM sx pipe - give it more torque
      map switch to switch between mild and wild

Toors in the past I could ride a 450 to almost full potential. At the moment I will agree it is propably enough bike. Great little scooter and in my view the TOP MX bike out there. I had a 2012 YZ 450F and unfortunately realised I have lost my fitness and that the bike is too much for me. Quite sad after racing 450's since 2004.[/list]
      2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
      2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
      1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline Toors

I used to be on a KTM 450, to much hard work in the technical stuff,  I found that I am actually quicker on the 350 because of its nimbleness (less tiring) and it has a awesome mid power hit.  It is not a lazy bike like the 450 and the 350 loves getting it neck twisted.  If you are ever up in Gauteng let me know, you are welcome to take it for a hit
      KTM 350 XCF-W
      KTM 1050 Adv

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
      • Bike: AJS (all models)
      • Agito ergo sum

Was at Eddy2 Race on Friday...the Husky 310 looks  :ricky:
      My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids