Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why should / shouldn't I buy a Big Boy?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Imvubu

Re: Why should / shouldn't I buy a Big Boy?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 09:16:19 am »
Might even shed a few of those 120Kg's.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

That's just not going to happen - got way too much invested in getting into this shape to chuck it all away now.  :biggrin:

Offline marlon

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • Subsistence & Adventure Duty
    • Simple Earth
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 10:13:25 am »
I am not one to be influenced by opinion much. I know two people, one of them being my girlfriend, who'se been using big boy for the last 2 years without any issues, great efficiency and reliability. Her only issue ever being the battery dying. Yes, she does have a jap bike too, but the big boy, thus far is a winner. I  am known for being concerned about safety and reliability to anal levels, and my scrutiny of that scoot has given me no reason to worry for the 50km/h home-work-home trips. Besides it's cheap.

Anyway, I agree with buying jap, used, if you can find a good one from a reputable seller. I totally agree, but don't kick what you haven't tried.  :thumleft:

Offline Ratt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 10:14:51 am »
Might even shed a few of those 120Kg's.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

That's just not going to happen - got way too much invested in getting into this shape to chuck it all away now.  :biggrin:

Agreed! I dont walk to anything, if I could, I would be riding in my house too
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline mox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:35 am »
What he needs is this for his lunch box!
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline Ratt

• Race Dog
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 10:18:22 am »
They are just as reliable as a ktm, comes from the same place. Just with much less grunt
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Offline Imvubu

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 10:45:55 am »
Mmmm...one of those but with the little motors that the delivery guys fit to their bicycles.  O0

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:46:34 am by Imvubu »

Offline jimjim

• Race Dog
  • Bike: MZ (all models)
  • I do nothing all day
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 10:59:17 am »
Don't know why people would complain about Chinese scramblers. I rode one to Hell (there's an RR on it here somewhere) - still my best ride ever. Had no problem with the little Chinese bike. OK, a few plastic things fell off and the speedo was 20km/h out. And there were small electrical issues. And the top speed was too low to use it safely on the national roads. And the lights were too weak to use safely at night. And it was a bit slow on overtaking. And it couldn't take a lot of weight. Otherwise it was perfect.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.  - W. C. Fields

Offline JK

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 11:10:55 am »
I have said it befor but will say it again. Chinese bikes are like those cheap plastic Gazebos from Makro. Every 2nd house has one in the dustbin.  :patch:
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:13 am »
Don't know why people would complain about Chinese scramblers. I rode one to Hell (there's an RR on it here somewhere) - still my best ride ever. Had no problem with the little Chinese bike. OK, a few plastic things fell off and the speedo was 20km/h out. And there were small electrical issues. And the top speed was too low to use it safely on the national roads. And the lights were too weak to use safely at night. And it was a bit slow on overtaking. And it couldn't take a lot of weight. Otherwise it was perfect.

:imaposer: :imaposer:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline The Purple Turtle

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • prev RiaanC
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 11:27:18 am »
I bought the wife a BIG BOY XTG 250 to learn to ride.

I is now 2 years old, and have 2000km on the clock, mostly done by 125kg fatass me driving the 100km round trip to work.

PM me if you are interested in my very positive ownership experience with this bike.

Why PM, cause I can't be bothered to post on a thread where a bunch of people (read that as nice speak for f******* lemmings) knock something they have no experience of. Problem is , WD  is becoming like this all over.
Adventure is taking the wrong equipment to inappropriate places.

BMW R1150GS - Gertrude

Offline Lem

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13:24 pm »

Why PM, cause I can't be bothered to post on a thread where a bunch of people (read that as nice speak for f******* lemmings) knock something they have no experience of. Problem is , WD  is becoming like this all over.

I agree with this statement. Last week I had to read on this forum how much of a piece of shit bike a F650GS is, how bad it's built, and that is when many of them on this forum, as well as the older funduro's are well over 100 000kms by now.

for the question asked on the beginning of this thread, I'm sure a Chinaman would be up to the task, and spares easy to come by, when needed.
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:57 pm »

for the question asked on the beginning of this thread, I'm sure a Chinaman would be up to the task, and spares easy to come by, when needed.

That may well be so.

But some of us may be of the opinion that there are better options available, such as a 2nd hand Jap bike.

He asked for our opinions didn't he -

Why do or don't I want to buy one?

It seems some don't like it if my OPINION is different to theirs 

How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 12:26:03 pm »
What is the best secondhand bike you can buy ?      A new Chinese one!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Ok, ok.............I know this is actually the old Alfa-Romeo joke, but I thought it would be applicable.  :ricky:

Offline Hammerhead

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 12:53:10 pm »
Maybe also consider a Bajaj Pulsar 180?
I use one to commute and its done 25k km
Issues so far: replaced the front light bulb...
Light on juice too  :biggrin:

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 01:06:05 pm »
2nd hand jap bikes in that price range have all been abused to within an inch of their lives

if you buy something in the sub 15k bracket look at major repairs coming your way

old xt600's etc great bikes but factor in a full engine rebuild - if its old it will break

chinese bikes are not that bad - mine has almost 18000km on the clock and no major hassles

parts are dirt cheap  :thumleft:

you can look at the xr125 - but that is just another chinaman bike with a honda badge on it

the new honda e-storm, xr, etc are all being built in china to compete against the chinese

the old cg125 was more expensive than an e-storm - why ???

because it was better quality - the new honda cheapies are no better than chinese bikes

Offline Ratt

• Race Dog
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 01:09:45 pm »
2nd hand jap bikes in that price range have all been abused to within an inch of their lives

if you buy something in the sub 15k bracket look at major repairs coming your way

old xt600's etc great bikes but factor in a full engine rebuild - if its old it will break

chinese bikes are not that bad - mine has almost 18000km on the clock and no major hassles

parts are dirt cheap  :thumleft:

you can look at the xr125 - but that is just another chinaman bike with a honda badge on it

the new honda e-storm, xr, etc are all being built in china to compete against the chinese

the old cg125 was more expensive than an e-storm - why ???

because it was better quality - the new honda cheapies are no better than chinese bikes
:laughing4: :deal:
What he says is so true! Hence me also looking at one. Im just questioning this warrenty thing

Offline The Purple Turtle

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • prev RiaanC
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 02:08:47 pm »
What is the best secondhand bike you can buy ?      A new Chinese one!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Ok, ok.............I know this is actually the old Alfa-Romeo joke, but I thought it would be applicable.  :ricky:

hmm...I like Alfa's too.

In fact, I own a poor man's Alfa, a Fiat X19 - first car I ever bought- 33 years old, on 3rd engine - odo stopped working at 370 K km.

Yup, and I was told back in 1980 it is the biggest piece of shit I can possibly buy. I should buy the new VW Golf.

Chinese (Fiat, ALFA, Jeep) is not for everyone. One must have some desire to actually look after the vehicle..

Apologies for the 9/11.

Carry on.
Adventure is taking the wrong equipment to inappropriate places.

BMW R1150GS - Gertrude

Offline Imvubu

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 02:14:23 pm »
Not looking for a fixer-upper, or something that needs a lot of work to get it on the road. I already have a Land Rover to keep me busy, as well as 'project' parking my lawn dead at the moment.

If I bring another 'project' home SWAMBO will chuck me and it out. Guess I could sleep in the 130 though.  ;D

Offline Imvubu

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 02:16:41 pm »
Picture of the 'project' except it's in bits at the moment.

Obviously I'm a sucker for punishment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:17:45 pm by Imvubu »

Offline Ratt

• Race Dog
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 02:29:50 pm »
An old jap bike will be another project, the china just one to check through and tighten a screw now and then