Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Safe parking in Dar ES Salaam  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Robin Brown

Safe parking in Dar ES Salaam
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:34:05 pm »
We are travelling overland to DAR in June. Please if anyone has a friend or business connection in DAR who would be happy for us to leave our vehicle in safety while in Zanzibar I would like to make contact.

Offline Sangara

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Stellenbosch
Re: Safe parking in Dar ES Salaam
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:38:18 pm »
We stayed at Kipepeo beach in 2007, but left our cars with someone we knew that stayed in Dar. Unfortunately, he returned to SA. But for a small fee, they will allow you to leave your vehicle with them. You can then take a taxi to town. So, depending on where you are going to stay in Dar, try to strike a deal with them.

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:36:09 pm »
If the above does not work out you could most likely strike up a deal with hotel in Dar and leave vehicles in their lot.  There is a spendy hotel on the way in with a large guarded lot.  I stayed at one that was within walking distance of the port, (Star something I think), and if they had room they might make a deal, their lot was guarded but somewhat small.
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:07:08 pm »
Contact Dennis. He is the owner of KTM in Dar. Very friendly guy and sure to help.

In Dar Es Salaam it's Dennis Gastllier he is the new KTM dealer in Dar
physical address of the Polaris/ KTM Workshop is Coming from Halie
Selassie Road and into Ghuba Road, we are the third gate on the left,
flags will be on the road. My number as you know is  +255784504064
 d.gastellier@gmail.com

You can also try Mikadi beach Overlander camp spot. We left our gear and bikes there while jolling on Zanzibar for a few days. They are on T4A
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 08:08:41 pm by michnus »

Offline Jacquedup

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:24:47 pm »
Maybe a stupid question, but why not take your bike across with the ferry?

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 04:26:51 am »

"Maybe a stupid question, but why not take your bike across with the ferry?"

I did that, not a good idea.  bike can not go on same ferry as passengers, Zanzibar is part of Tanzania but no one told them, more paperwork than any other border. very costly. two days to get it there and two days out.  LEAVE YOUR RIDE IN DAR unless you are going to be in Zanzibar for a month or two.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 05:16:22 am »

I did that, not a good idea.  bike can not go on same ferry as passengers, Zanzibar is part of Tanzania but no one told them, more paperwork than any other border. very costly. two days to get it there and two days out.  LEAVE YOUR RIDE IN DAR unless you are going to be in Zanzibar for a month or two.

In entire agreement.  I lived in Tanzania for 6 years.  Find some place to leave your bikes.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Yefimovich˛

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R1200RT
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 12:43:17 pm »
A little late on this, thanks largely to my infrequent lurking and acute bouts of depression at not owning a bike after visit WD.

But, for future reference, to anybody coming to Tanzania, I have been living here now for close on 18 months. I have basement parking available at my apartment and even a spare bedroom should it be required.

+255 78 557 8711
nj.thompson1988@gmail.com
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards

Offline Alpine Al

• You dont stop playin 'cause you get old, you get old 'cause you stop playin.
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If life throws you lemons reach for the tequila!!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 02:54:30 am »
Hi guys
I am apealing to you chaps on this thread who are/ have been up there recently on behalf of Jo Rust, a young female adventurer who is on her way on her BMW  650 Dakar from Nairobi at the moment. She has nearly completed her solo journey around Africa and it would be great if you guys could give her advice on routes, road conditions and places to stay. You can read her 59 page ride report on the forum and send her a message or find her on facebook.
Thanks guys.
Al
Bike history : Honda 50cc, Yamaha 175 DT, Honda 200R, Honda XL 500, Yamaha YZ 465, Yamaha IT490 CURENT BIKES: Honda CRF 450R, GS 1200. PRESENT BIKES : KTM 525 Street legal,  and BMW GSA.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!!

Offline Legadema

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 03:08:17 pm »

Yes they can...Anything possible in Africa, but never easy.