Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What is a good bike to start enduro style riding with?  (Read 3525 times)

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
What is a good bike to start enduro style riding with?
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:30:14 pm »
I am asking myself all the time about what is the better bike to get and there is always tons of opinions but the question is always

2 stroke or 4.. coming from a 4t riders perspective I think we always stick with what we know, I took a spin on Buffs 2T, I admit it was the 1st time I had been on a 2T bike, after that 2 min spin I would probably have to relearn how to ride a bike, I overcooked every corner and my eyes went slightly wider, it is a very different ride to what I am used to.. aka gravel highways. So I am pretty determined to do at least a few months of riding on a smaller 4T

Now I know that the issue of maitainance always comes up, it is something that is completly foreign to me because I have never done the kind of riding that requires maintaining a bike. The Transalp is a bike which you ride for 6000km and change the oil.. pretty easy, what do these smaller bikes require.?

I am really not going to be in a position financially to race this year due to circumstances, but I should be able to downscale and buy a cheaper bike to start getting used to.

I was thinking of getting a CRF250X but am open to suggestions.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline J-dog

Re: What is a good bike to start enduro style riding with?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:35:17 pm »
KDX 2T. Hand's down  :thumleft:

bullet proof, forgiving, low maint, cheap, easy to service yourself.

Online edgy

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:40:19 pm »
Agreed, the KDX 200 is so bullet proof and great value to purchase as well as to maintain...very capable enduro bikes!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:02:21 pm »
Does no one like the 4T ?
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline J-dog

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 01:03:33 pm »

I think more expensive to maintain, more prone to problems? Ask Edgy, he knows stuff.

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 01:51:31 pm »
I bought myself a kdx200 last week to get started. Nice little bikes, parts are a plenty.

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
  • No vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 02:11:09 pm »

I do. Can't go wrong with a WR250
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 02:13:27 pm »
CRF 230
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 02:29:51 pm »
4 strokes r great, but starting off you mentioned budget so go  2 stroke purely financial, you probably buying 2nd hand so again you dont know whwere its been and you will need to maintain, sooner or later and that costs espeecially when start changing things like valves and pistons, also depentdent where and how you ride the 4 strokes get hot in slow tight conditions and a boil, too many boils goes back to maintenance whch equals RRR'ss and lots of, I agree with the other lad you can do a lot worse than a KDX 200. plenty bike for good prices. and if need there are plenty of go fast kits, viva KDX viva
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Online edgy

www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 08:04:58 pm »
KDX or CRF it is  :thumleft:

Offline Graham Ross

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Machine
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 08:21:55 pm »
GAS GAS 200 HANDS DOWN.

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
  • No vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 08:26:03 pm »
GAS GAS 200 HANDS DOWN.

I missed out on a deal on one a while back. Still pissed off.

The crf230 might be a little tractor but it's probably the most boring bike I've been on. If you like riding fast, it's not for you
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:26:46 pm by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 08:38:34 pm »
Agreed, it's true they are go anywhere bikes, but you will be bored by it within 3 weeks of getting it.

great bikes for chicks and 13 year olds though  :biggrin:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Pumbaa

Re: Re: Re: What is a good bike to start enduro style riding with?
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 09:44:25 pm »
Agreed, it's true they are go anywhere bikes, but you will be bored by it within 3 weeks of getting it.

great bikes for chicks and 13 year olds though  :biggrin:
Can't really agree that the crf is boring. To give you an idea, if you ride it the way it should be ridden, then its hard to beat. My brother rides the ktm 350 4stroke and rides very well, competing in open class enduro, normally a top 6 finisher. He gave his crf230 to one of the other guys to have a play with and just about had a can of whipass opened on him.
So, just depends how you ride I suppose. I've had a couple of rides on the crf230 and really enjoyed it. This was riding a track which had about 70 guys racing on a few days before.
Sent from my HTC J Z321e using Tapatalk 2

Offline Orangejuicepony

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 09:51:43 pm »
The problem with the kdx is that there are hardly any good ones left .

My fote would be KTM200 2t

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 11:56:17 pm »

I'm noticing that as well. It is a waiting game to find the right one,

I have just bought a CRF230 for the kid, I picked it up from Dux today, she got lowered and Dux did a little tweaking to the carb, air box and zorst , I took her for a little spin when I got home and BRAAAP, at least 10 - 15% more oomph, not a slouch anymore. I think I will have more fun riding her than my kid.  :deal:

Offline Orangejuicepony

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 12:03:29 am »

I'm noticing that as well. It is a waiting game to find the right one,

I have just bought a CRF230 for the kid, I picked it up from Dux today, she got lowered and Dux did a little tweaking to the carb, air box and zorst , I took her for a little spin when I got home and BRAAAP, at least 10 - 15% more oomph, not a slouch anymore. I think I will have more fun riding her than my kid.  :deal:

when I read your question i decided to do some editing and do a rr, but heres the vid.

get a ktm 200, you wont be sorry

http://videobam.com/KCoOk

But also, I think the crf230 is a VERY underrated bike. You wont win the roof on it but that's not what you are looking for.
The biggest mistakes that guys make is to buy too big eg 450s for enduro riding. you always hear excuse about im too big for a little 200 etc and a few weeks later you have to help him lug a 450 through the rocks cause then he isnt big enough to pick up the bike anymore.

a 200 2t has more than enough power to get a 115kg guy anywhere in the mountains. what you los in horsepower in the 200 you more than make up in the tricky stuff when the bikes weight really starts to matter
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:22:34 am by Orangejuicepony »

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 07:09:56 am »
if the KDX are getting hard to find maybe look at the Gasser my mate rides a 300 gasser , really a nice bike, and he swears by the CT dealer who he gets spares from cost and availabilty, and he is in Jozi so pays freight and still great value. 
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 03:34:42 pm »
Found a 'like new' KDX on gomboom, it is a little more than I want to pay for it but it is in brilliant condition. I will do a deal to buy the bike once my XR650R is sold and I sell off all the other Amageza related stuff