Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Popping Wheelies in Traffic  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Ratt

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
Re: Popping Wheelies in Traffic
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 08:43:37 am »
To wheely in traffic is soooo dangerous, motorists rubber-neck to look and thus drive over poodles and small ducks and pavements, where they may hit a pram.
:laughing4:
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline Alsdad

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • Troy
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 08:50:20 am »
Pulled up next to a Metro Police Car on Rivonia a few weeks ago and both the officers were doing "The Gangnam Style" asking me to wheelie!!!  :o

Had to oblige! ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:50:43 am by Alsdad »
It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Offline Hentie @ Riders

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 08:52:20 am »
To wheely in traffic is soooo dangerous, motorists rubber-neck to look and thus drive over poodles and small ducks and pavements, where they may hit a pram.
:spitcoffee:

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 08:54:27 am »
So on Tuesday I'm commuting home on William Nicol and this bloke on what looked like a KTM 950 Super Enduro with a KINI Red Bull sticker kit (to the owner ... nice bike) pushes past me... OK, slightly not impressed because if he has just waited 30 seconds there would have been ample space and I did not have to almost have my handle bar clipped.

I however catch him at the next light and the moment it turns green he fly's off and so it goes for about 8 lights (I guess though some folk have this absolute need to be the first to stop at the next traffic light). Racing off like that is however not my problem and since I'm riding my speed behind him, I'm not really bugged by it. What however did bug me was this absolute need of his bloke to pop a wheelie and try hold it for as long as possible (or at least till he caught the tail end of traffic) from each and every friggin' traffic light. Heck the one light he even stopped the bike on a front wheelie.

This blokes skill on the tar is OBVIOUSLY far superior to mine and impressive (I can't wheelie and I don't really care to either) ... but really, that sort of riding is just immature and reckless in my opinion. If you want to pop wheelies, fine ... go pop wheelies on a track where you don't pose a hazard to your fellow road users, because quite honestly everyone just looks at this and thinks "<insert Afrikaans word for a box here>".

So my question is why? Why this need to act like a "<insert Afrikaans word for a box here>" and pop wheelies during afternoon traffic? I just don't get it. Please explain.

Oh... just another thing (in case you are on this forum) ... get some gear. T-Shirt = Road Paint.

Sounds like jealousy..wheelies is what pulls the lady birds..it makes everyones day to see a good wheelie, like a MX whip, when done right it's just pure eye sex.

Offline silentbob

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 08:55:40 am »
Wrong forum bud. Go try those safety conscious okes with their bright vests and banners. This site likes wheelies (the ones who can wheelie anyway)

My issue is not the actual wheelies, it's where they are being executed.

Yes, as BFG says "he is only endangering himself", but heck.... on the off chance he bails, it'll be likely that it'll be right in front of me and then it becomes my problem.
Running is hard. It always has been. Woolly mammoths didnít just roll over onto a plate and serve themselves up to prehistoric man with fries and a shake. They had to be caught - and running down woolly mammoths was hard.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 08:56:57 am »
 :imaposer:   :imaposer:

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 09:00:14 am »
on the off chance he bails, it'll be likely that it'll be right in front of me and then it becomes my problem.

Then you lift your front wheel and ride over him safely.

:oscar:
Maak soos Dr Phil sÍ: "Hou op om 'n do0s te wees..."

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Forum Whore
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 09:01:42 am »
on the off chance he bails, it'll be likely that it'll be right in front of me and then it becomes my problem.

:imaposer: The GS has ABS you'll be safe from the hooligans..

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 09:03:54 am »
Hey wait a second here. You admitted to racing from robot to robot behind him. Aren't you putting him in danger by speeding and not keeping a safe following distance?  :pot:
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline silentbob

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 09:04:56 am »

Ah, but remember I can't wheelie, which means I'll have to go straight over :dontknow:
Running is hard. It always has been. Woolly mammoths didnít just roll over onto a plate and serve themselves up to prehistoric man with fries and a shake. They had to be caught - and running down woolly mammoths was hard.

Offline Renier

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 09:05:27 am »
Pulled up next to a Metro Police Car on Rivonia a few weeks ago and both the officers were doing "The Gangnam Style" asking me to wheelie!!!  :o

Had to oblige! ;)

Thumbs up :)
cool man! i used to enjoy popping the wheel on my morning commutes on all my bikes!
good fun..
Evening news is where they begin with 'Good evening', and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 09:15:38 am »
Die enigste gevaar wat ek sien elke keer as iemand wheelie is dat ek amper my kombi afskryf om vir my seuns te wys hoe daar iemand is wat wheelie en dan vra hulle my waneer gaan Dad dit leer doen

LOL!!!
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 09:15:58 am »

Ah, but remember I can't wheelie, which means I'll have to go straight over :dontknow:

All the more reason to learn then...

So a few months down the line, someone will come and post here about the hooligan on the GS800 in front of him who wheelied straight over a poor guy who crashed his KTM...

Its the circle of life

:imaposer:
Maak soos Dr Phil sÍ: "Hou op om 'n do0s te wees..."

Offline Toors

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 09:23:27 am »
ran into the same guy yesterday coming from the opposite direction, he did an impressive stoppy with the SE - I don't know why but trying as I might - I can brake as hard as I want -  the 1190 just does not want to do a stoppy :imaposer:
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline silentbob

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 09:27:28 am »
All the more reason to learn then...

So a few months down the line, someone will come and post here about the hooligan on the GS800 in front of him who wheelied straight over a poor guy who crashed his KTM...

Its the circle of life

:imaposer:

:thumleft:

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 09:32:53 am »

.....and this bloke on what looked like a KTM 950 Super Enduro with a KINI Red Bull sticker kit

Jy moet check hoe wheelie hy sy GSA...... :deal:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline WP

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 09:35:34 am »
Praat ons van Smokes hier?

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 09:42:17 am »
Praat ons van Smokes hier?

Stuur hom die link dat hy kan sien watse kak word agter sy rug gepraat  :imaposer:

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 09:45:16 am »
If I could wheelie I would not do it between cars but once you are a safe distance in-front of traffic, why not  >:D

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 09:47:53 am »
- I don't know why but trying as I might - I can brake as hard as I want -  the 1190 just does not want to do a stoppy :imaposer:

Hooligan!  You gotta actually try, not pretend try... ;D
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!