Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why I'd rather pay a shop to change a tyre !  (Read 683 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Online Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Why I'd rather pay a shop to change a tyre !
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:53:30 pm »
Must agree with you DD, I have done my AT's wheel change purely so I know how and what to do in the event of a breakdown somewhere remote. After struggling my ass off getting the bloody bead broken by taking it to a mate's place vowed to never do a tyre change again if there is someone who can do it for me for a couple of bucks around the corner.

Had a local bike shop change my rear tyre on the rim for about ?£10/R120 and to qoute Mr T - I pity the fool :D
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:19:08 pm »
That is supposed to be an instructional video .... yeah instructing you how to swear, kick tools around and vow never to touch another tyre lever ever again  :lol:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 04:23:08 pm »
Maybe first prize would be to make an attachment to fit onto the swingarm and then use the motor of your bike to remove the tyre.. much like those machines at the shops.. or am i missing the point here.. (i have not seen the video as we have a slow connection at work.)

Offline Rooibaard

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 04:40:27 pm »
Bah.
It's a bit of a mission, but if you have 3 tyre levers and a helping you get it done quick.
Just be careful not to pinch the tube.

Now trying to change a landrover 7.50x16 tyre on your own. THAT is a near-impossibility.
-
This is not a signature

Offline Split

• Puppy
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 08:52:35 pm »
I would learn from Flash any day. I have ridden with him, and he is very knowledgeable, especially on the F650. Those rear wheel beads on the Funduros are legendary in their ability to resist the onslaught of tyre levers. Flash makes it look easy by comparison.