Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Installing a TrailTech Striker and LED lights  (Read 4108 times)

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Installing a TrailTech Striker and LED lights
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:15:06 am »
A week or so ago my HID stopped working again.

I installed the HID a few years ago a couple of months after I first got the bike.  I had a lot of trouble with ballasts at first but Adventurer helped out and eventually one of the replacements he supplied seemed to last.

In the interim, the bulb was taking strain.

I ride mostly off road, in quite technical terrain and the constant vibration, jumps and hammering etc was shaking it all to bits. 

The HID bulb was supposed to move in and out when you select brights or dims, but the vibration was wearing it all loose so you could see it wobbling around inside.  It eventually was flopping around quite badly - I was constantly expecting it to break.  The writing was on the wall because it was getting steadily worse.

Anyway as I said, last week it stopped working again.  But this time it seemed to be due to some bad connection some where because it switched on and off as I fiddled with the wires.

While trying to isolate the fault it seemed that I somehow damaged my instrument display which seemed to have blown something internal.  The instrument display itself had a few issues before that, mostly because it was filling up with dust internally which you could see lying on the display inside. 

In addition to all of that, the cable from the speed sensor was very flimsy and kept breaking.

Soooo... given all these little issues I decided to splash out and get new lights as well as a different instrument.

I settled on the new TrailTech Striker mainly because it had the ability to adjust the trip distance up or down via a remote handle bar switch, as well as being quite reasonably priced http://www.trailtech.net/striker.html.

In addition to that it had number of other useful features that my standard instrument panel lacked:
1) Water temp
2) Ambient temp
3) Time
4) Average speed
5) Voltage
6) Stop watch

The bonus was that the kit came with a new speedo cable which apparently fit 100% into the existing fittings at both ends.

The only thing it lacked was a rev display which wasn't a train smash.

I also ordered their clip-on warning light display.  http://trailtech.net/indicator_dashboards.html

It only had provision for 4 warning lights.  It came with a whole lot of little clip in lenses that would show different things.  I chose, low fuel warning, turn indicator, neutral indicator, and bright headlight indicator.  The original Husky instrument also had two more warning lights - rev limiter and headlight indicator.  The headlight indicator was redundant and the rev limiter light was useless because the Striker couldn't measure revs.  But I didn't ride the bike on the rev limiter ever so that didn't bother me.  In any event I doubt if you will be looking down at your instrument cluster as you hit the rev limiter - so I've always wondered about the usefulness of that light.

All told it came to about R1800.00 before shipping and VAT, not too bad. So far so good. 

And then I'm afraid I lost my head. 

I had decided to get a new headlight, because I was sick and tired of constantly wondering whether the HID light would or wouldn't still be working at the end of a ride.

I had seen in the Dakar thread on AdvRider that lots of the guys used LED lights, and had previously looked for the suppliers of those lights out of interest.  Neduro who rode the Dakar the year before last used Rigid Industries lights which I rather liked.  After lots of browsing around I decided that the Dually's looked like a good option, very solid and obviously high quality.  http://www.rigidindustries.com/Dually-LED-Light-Flood-p/dually-fl.htm 

They came in various patterns, spot, flood and diffuse.  One of the reasons why I settled on Rigid Industries is they gave proper believable specs on the light patterns of their lights, unlike most Chineses and other suppliers, who just quoted lumens (with the implication that the more the better, but gave no info on how that light was projected).

I needed to try and reproduce the quite complex light spread of an automotive headlight which had a hard "cut-off" in dim mode that kept the light down on the road and stopped glare blinding on-coming motorists.  I thought I could do this with a combination of one flood pattern light which I could angle, slightly downwards and then have a seperate spot pattern shine off into the distance when on brights.  I wasn't 100% sure that this would work, but was willing to give it a go, so I ordered one of each. 

This started a whole sequence of events that eventually would cost a hell of a lot of money!  :patch: :biggrin:

I thought initially I could get the two lights for the price of a pair which was cheaper, but sadly that was not to be - so that cost an extra $15, no big deal.  At that stage thery were about R1000 each before shipping, which was expensive, but OK given that cheap Chinese units locally went for about R700-800.

The real problem came in that each light was packaged in its own quite big box.

With high shipping costs from the US and the Rand/US exchange rate at an all time high, this ended up doubling the price of the lights once they arrived here - ouch!  Unfortunately I used Bongo to ship all the stuff from the states, and because it was the first time I used them I wasn't completely sure how their system worked, so I had difficulty working out what the shipping costs would be.

Oh well, an expensive lesson!

Anyway it all arrived last week  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:22:00 am by alanB »
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: Installing a TrailTech Striker and LED lights
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 09:40:42 am »
I had started the investigation on which pins in the plug at the back of the standard instrument cluster powered the various warning lights.

This is what I've found so far after studying the wiring diag in the manual as well as testing with a multimeter:

Pin1: empty
Pin2: Brown/white - +12V when key on - some sort of switching circuit?
Pin3: Grey - earthed when key off and +12V when the key is on?
Pin4: Blue - earth always
Pin5: Yellow/black - +12V always
Pin6: Black - speed input?
Pin7: empty
Pin8: empty

Pin10: Red/black - Turn signal
Pin11: Skyblue - Turn signal
Pin12: Red - Neutral indicator - switches to earth when in neutral
Pin13: Bright headlight indicator - switches to +12V when brights are on
Pin14: Black - speed input?
Pin15: empty
Pin16: empty
Pin17: Headlight indicator - earthed when key is off. +12V when key is on
Pin18: 9V when key on -I assumed this was the temp sensor but the wiring diag shows no link between the instrument panel and the temp sensor so maybe this is the fuel warning?

I'm reasonably sure about most warning lights except the low fuel indicator.

After some discussions with my partner who understands electronics more than I do, here is what I came up with in terms of wiring it all up.

I had to modify little lugs so that they would fit into the plug.  I also had to add some diodes to the turn signal outputs so that both flickers wouldnt flash.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:50:22 pm by alanB »

Offline madmike999

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • www.studio88.co.za info@studio88.co.za
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 09:46:23 am »
 :thumleft: :thumleft:
'82 R100 RS,  '98 Africa Twin,  Vespa 180 Rally

Online Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:30:58 am »
Sub  :happy1:
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Online M3X3Z3

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:34:42 am »
Nice post Alan.

I am sure you will post some pics when your done.
This could be an option for the 510.  :-\
Honda XR250  Husqvarna TE630  Husqvarna SM630  KTM 690

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 10:49:11 am »
Sweet - love these kinds of meaningful mods. Waiting in anticipation.  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Online Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 10:51:26 am »
All six ten owners glued  :laughing4:
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 11:00:31 am »
The Husky 610 kit for the Striker comes with a high quality replacement speedo cable as well as an inline water temp sensor ( a high quality machined aluminium fitting)  :thumleft:.

I fitted the water sensor after much humming and haaing about where it should go.  Slicing into a perfectly good (and probably quite expensive) water hose was quite nerve wracking - although I told myself its was actually exciting  :P)

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 11:30:49 am »
At the last minute, before last year's Amageza I decided to take my windshield off (which it turned out, was a good decision  :thumleft:).  I hurriedly cobbled together a rather nasty looking set-up to hold the HID light in place.  It was only supposed to be temporary for the event but its been in place ever since (and surprisingly hasn't broken).  But it always annoyed me because it looked pretty crappy.

I had an idea of what I actually wanted after lots of thought during the year and decided that now was a good time to try those ideas out.

I wanted something that would be strong enough to mount a roadbook to, without being a huge tower, as used in other rally bikes.  I don't like the whole rally tower idea, (even though I'm sure that's a race proven solution), because it makes the bike top heavy, and is prone to breaking on any sort of fall. 

In addition it needs to be very strong because all the weight of the instruments etc are held far out on a long lever arm which is just destined to crack and break from the harsh vibrations.  Getting something strong enough would require a lot of extra weight and engineering (as can be seen from any of the threads discussing the subject on AdvRider). 

I was hoping to keep things a lot simpler and smaller.  Mostly because I'm not really interested in the rally "look", and prefer a more ordinary dirt bike setup - which is more practical for the type of riding I do on most weekends.  I'll only use a road book once or twice a year - if that.

So during the week, in the evenings I had been working on some CAD drawings for a bracket to hold the lights and instrument.

I sent off the drawings to the local laser cutting company and hope to have the parts by Tuesday - looking forward to that  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:35:45 pm by alanB »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 11:43:53 am »
While I was shipping all the stuff from the states I took the opportunity to get a replacement for the crappy Husky gear lever head.  Its really cheap and nasty and has always made me wonder what they were thinking putting that on a bike that gets sold with some other really high quality bits and pieces.

HdMoto make some nice after market gear lever heads

http://www.hdmoto.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=2&cat=5&show=12&page=2

So I ordered one in a wild moment of excess  :P

I got the 15mm short version (I have small feet  :biggrin:).  Its actually quite a big chunky thing, I needed to add three extra 8mm washers to get it to fit snugly on the gear lever.

But it looks a lot nicer and gives your foot more space :thumleft:

At $15 its quite expensive for what it is though so I wouldnt have bothered if I wasn't shipping a lot of other stuff and could just get it thrown in the box.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:33:37 pm by alanB »

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 01:18:56 pm »
Ja my sentiments entirely re the gear lever tip  :imaposer:  I also replaced mine with a Hammerhead unit some time back - went for the rubber tipped one and also got a blue one for the EishPeeTwee  ;) 
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 01:24:07 pm »
I remove the old speedo cable and installed the TrailTech replacement.  Very easy, it screws into the same hole at the bottom and has the same connector at the top  :thumleft:

The new cable seems higher quality and its a bit longer at the top.  The old one was a bit short, which placed a lot of stress on the delicate wires just where they entered the connector.  As the forks moved in/out these wires would be worked back and forth and eventually break at that point.

The new wire was longer so it should be easier to arrange it so that all the stress wasnt concentrated right as the wires enter the connector.

Pics below show the old wire removed and the new wire installed

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:46:41 pm by alanB »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 01:27:20 pm »
Ja my sentiments entirely re the gear lever tip  :imaposer:  I also replaced mine with a Hammerhead unit some time back - went for the rubber tipped one and also got a blue one for the EishPeeTwee  ;) 

I went for the short non rubber tipped ones because they were on special  :biggrin:

But I'm glad I did because a longer version would maybe have been too long  :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 01:34:07 pm »

I went for the short non rubber tipped ones because they were on special  :biggrin:

But I'm glad I did because a longer version would maybe have been too long  :thumleft:

I would probably go for non- rubber tips if I were to do it again as even though they give you spare rubbers the ribs wear quite quickly with heavy boots.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 01:41:31 pm »
Alan are the Strikers replacing the Vipors? Seem to recall people saying they were not going  to get Vipors soon - this seemed to be quite a popular change-out on Husky Cafe. Is there a specific model you ordered ?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 01:42:21 pm »
Here's the old HID kit all stripped off, looking quite well used  8)

It was quite expensive when I bought it all originally, so its a bit disappointing that it didn't really last.  But it was gamble putting it on in the first place - live and learn!

IMO LED's are perfectly suited to offroad bikes and in a few years you'll get high quality cheap units that suite the application perfectly.

Right now though, the only options are cheap and nasty Chinese stuff, which puts out a lot of light but they are quite vague or un-inspiring when it comes to telling you how that light is projected, or expensive stuff from the states or Europe.

I tried to find the most reasonably priced units that at least seemed to have some believable specs which seemed to suite my requirements.

The Dually's certainly are very well made!  Quite hefty units at 500g each.  Coincidentally the two of them weigh almost exactly what the stripped off components of the HID system did (1.1kg).

Although at their landed price they bloody well better be well made!

I fired the flood light unit up and it gives a lot of light even in bright day light!  What I really liked though was that there was a very well defined line between the brighter part of the beam and the periphery light which I hope will enable me to set it up so that it doesn't blind oncoming cars.  But I'll only be certain of this once its all mounted on the bike and adjusted. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:11:25 pm by alanB »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 01:53:14 pm »
Alan are the Strikers replacing the Vipors? Seem to recall people saying they were not going  to get Vipors soon - this seemed to be quite a popular change-out on Husky Cafe. Is there a specific model you ordered ?

No the Stiker replaces the Vector.  Its more or less the same thing but with the added feature of showing voltage.

I ordered this kit http://www.trailtech.net/71-102.html - I went for the black (they call it stealth) option - never being one for two much bling.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 02:21:30 pm »
I wired the LED lights together so that when the normal headlights are on, only the flood light unit is on, but when the brights are selected then both the spot and the flood units would be on.  It was easy to do this. 

Just connect to the standard wires as normal and join the two positives with a diode that would allow both to be lit when the brights wire was positive.

So now I just have to wait for the brackets to get here on Tuesday to see how its all going work  :P

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 02:51:36 pm »

No the Stiker replaces the Vector.  Its more or less the same thing but with the added feature of showing voltage.

I ordered this kit http://www.trailtech.net/71-102.html - I went for the black (they call it stealth) option - never being one for two much bling.

Sorry I think I meant Vector ??? Striker looks cool in black  :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 02:56:14 pm »
I must say the new generation Cree LED 's are amazing technology. Will you mount the flood into your existing headlight shroud?