KTM525exc ...or any other... with an LED headlight conversion out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I bought my 525 a while back and it came with a 690 headlight mcGuyvered onto it. It was beyond useless at night, so i eventually decided to bolt on an LED spotlight i had lurking in the shed. I rode halfway across lesotho with it working just fine. But it gave up the ghost and stopped working. I have since tested the unit with a separate power supply and the light is dead for sure. My bike had a shiny new regulator and stator bolted in a few weeks before i left for Lesotho so i'm fairly certain that's not the cause of it getting fried. The LED didnt have a load resistor wired in, so perhaps I am getting spikes in my voltage which over time caused the failure?? I have no idea if the LED has any sort of driver built in. It was a cheapy from takealot i was going to use for a different project, so it may just be cheap crap doing what it does. The bulb that was in the 690 setup that i got with the bike was an h4 55w bulb that had been fixed to the headlight with a bit of wire. My, now dead LED, was a 27w 12volt which was pretty good in the dark. Not great, but certainly better than what is was.

I am just wondering if any of you out there have replaced your standard headlights with LED lights? where did you get them from? was it a bolt in fit or did you wire in load resistors and all that? Any and all info on this would be great. If you have done such a mod to your trusty steed, please feel free to show me what you have and how you did it. whatsapp works for me...08for fivtoofiv 65ohsix (y) (y)