Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Medical Insurance when traveling up in Southern Africa  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Gasman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
Medical Insurance when traveling up in Southern Africa
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:51:26 am »
Hi Guys

I found a couple of threads relating to the above, but they were either old or didn't really have a conclusion.

I am trying to get medical cover for our trip that starts in 2 weeks. Most of the insurance companies only give you travel insurance if the bike is smaller than 200cc. Got a quote from Chartis (the only quote I received after requesting from a couple of companies) and they are only prepared to cover up to R500 000 of emergency medical expenses, which is not too bad. My main concern is I want medical air evacuation if things get really hairy.

Any advice? Who did you use? Were they good?

Thanks

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Medical Insurance when traveling up in Southern Africa
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:58:04 am »
Have a chat to Tuff Stuff. 0861444400
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Gasman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:16:22 am »
Have a chat to Tuff Stuff. 0861444400

Thanks Mr Zog. gave them a call, you can only insure the bike for the trip and then get some extra medical insurance with the whole deal. My bike is already insured and covered for this trip, only need medical insurance.

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:19:07 am »
Doesnt your current medical aid provide cover ?
I know Discovery does.

Offline Gasman

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:20:42 am »
Doesnt your current medical aid provide cover ?
I know Discovery does.

That is the problem... I am currently in between jobs and don't have any medical insurance (yes I know, stupid!). Trying to sort that out, but that is the reason why I want the best medical/travel insurance for this trip.

Offline Gasman

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 09:49:20 am »
So I did my homework, got some quotes and here is some info for anyone who wants to know in the futures.

Most companies don't want to give you travel insurance if you ride a bike bigger than 200cc (not sure why this is).

The guys from Chartis will give you travel insurance, but only cover of R500 000. After another request they bumped it up to R1 000 000. The policy premium comes in at about R1500 for a 17 day trip.

I decided to go with Hollard. Their comprehensive cover will cover up to R50 000 000 and they are prepared to sell you travel insurance outside the country (but not in SA, which I thought was strange). The policy premium is somewhere just over R1000 for a 17 day trip. Only thing is you need to be younger than 70 years of age and you need to stick to the countries' national roads (be they gravel or tar).
"We do cover riding on gravel roads if it is listed as a national road in that country. Medical cover do include evacuation and repatriation cover."

Hope this helps  :thumleft:

Offline Gasman

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 09:52:11 am »
I have attached the insurance packages that Hollard has on offer

Offline Inus

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 01:20:06 pm »
Thanks Gasman, very helpful.
I am battling to find insurance for my bike as Santam will only insure for neighboring countries... Who are you using for bike insurance? (I've phoned Tuff Stuff and is waiting for the quote)

Offline Gasman

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 01:58:40 pm »
Thanks Gasman, very helpful.
I am battling to find insurance for my bike as Santam will only insure for neighboring countries... Who are you using for bike insurance? (I've phoned Tuff Stuff and is waiting for the quote)

Hi Inus,

My bike is insured through Alexander Forbes and I do know that my policy currently covers Swaziland, Lesotho, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi & Mozambique, without having to pay-in additional funds. The only requirement is that I let them know in advance where and when I will be travelling outside of RSA (which you need to do anyway in order to get a letter from your insurance company when you want to leave our borders).

Offline Inus

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 04:10:15 pm »
I see that http://www.worldnomads.com/ is highly recommended for travel insurance...

Tuff Stuff came back with a quote. Monthly premium is not bad but they only insure Africa - south of the equator. I need insurance for Africa, Europe and Asia. What a mission.

Enjoy your trip!

Offline Gasman

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 04:27:57 pm »
I see that http://www.worldnomads.com/ is highly recommended for travel insurance...

Tuff Stuff came back with a quote. Monthly premium is not bad but they only insure Africa - south of the equator. I need insurance for Africa, Europe and Asia. What a mission.

Enjoy your trip!

You need to distinguish between bike insurance and travel (medical) insurance.

The best/only quote I could find on travel (medical) insurance (for a bike trip) was Hollard.

On Bike Insurance, I am very happy with Alexander Forbes. Their normal policy covers all the countries that I have been to with my bike and I am sure that they will cover the ones they don't for an additional fee.

Good luck and enjoy your world trip

Offline Inus

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »
Yep, that is why I suggested that you have a look at worlnomads for travel(medical) insurance.

My medical insurance is sorted, just battling with the bike insurance.

Offline Camel

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Panniers on the back
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 11:24:59 am »
We used Oracle to cover us for 26 days and it includes medical emergency evacuation, our trip was up to Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Zim, Zambia, Botswana, Kenia, Tanzanie, Malawi. It is expensive and cost R4000 per person 2 years ago.

Offline Michael Vespa

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 05:28:03 pm »
Hi I am doing a 6 month trip from JHB through Africa to Italy leaving on the 1 st of May this year , the best cover I found was through a company called BUPA it is a little pricey but comprehensive. I am doing the trip on a Vespa and these guys are theonly company that would cover me.

Regards

Michael