Insurance after a mishap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntVan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So, on the 23rd of December 2023 I had a bit of a mishap on a road I've done 100s of times before. My GPS says I was doing 37 km/h. Long story short bike ended up on her left hand side (I am not an ambi-faller) and slid into a railway sleeper. The good news is I ride a R1200GS so the mild steel lower crash bar did it's thing and absorbed most of the impact by bending. Unfortunately it bent a bit too far and punctured the valve cover, which was also pushed back and bent something on the timing sprocket / half shaft whatever thing. In the process the windscreen shattered and the right hand mirror left the party. The beak and beak protector are also rather moertoe.

Initially, I did not feel any pain in any joint or any bones as my testes were smashed against the fuel tank, and that pain took priority top spot in my primitive male primate brain, which apparently thought the best way to solve the pain is to remove my helmet. go figure.

A couple of days later my sternum started bothering me and I realised I had a massive bruise running across my left arm and chest - which explained the sternum pain. A week later my wrist started giving me issues, I'm currently busy treating that with a wrist brace.

I initially thought the damage was only a punctured valve cover, bent valve cover screws and the mirror adapter and a new screen, in addition to the crash bar and the cosmetic damage to the beak and it's protector. BMW inspected the bike and determined the timing system to be properly moertoe.

I'm currently waiting for the BMW guy to give me a quote and then I shall engage with the insurance. At this stage I am afraid she might be written off.

What happens in that case? Can I buy the bike back from the insurance and fix her myself, get her back on the road and have her fully insured? Is this a viable option for a 2013 K50 GS with 85,000 km on the clock? Or is it better to prepare for the worst here?

Look, if we repair EVERYTHING that is damaged on the bike the quote is way over R110k. If we focus on the accident damage only I might get away cheaper. Does anyone have similar experiences where you felt deep in your heart a bike could have been saved, but the insurance stuck to their guns? And what happened?