Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Never again.  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Wolzak

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Previously Offshore
Re: Never again.
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48:15 am »
This might ruffle a few feathers but I can't say I like Bethlehem very much either....

My dad stays there but when we visit him we usually stay at his "strandhuis" in Paul Roux. We teased him when he wanted to buy a place in Paul Roux but that dorpie is heaven on earth for me. Lekker rustig and all we do is kuier and talk k@k.

But Bethlehem..... Eish... I don't smaak that place at all.
Was there in the Army in 1974. Not one of my Favourites but if compared to Lüderitz it is awesome. ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:23:28 am by Offshore »
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline Single Cylinder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Kickstart the beast or push the button
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2013, 10:18:02 am »
Lagos, asshole of the known universe....
I am not lazy, I am energy efficient.
Honda CB750 sold
Honda Elsinore 250 stolen
Honda XR500 sold, Kawasaki Ninja 750 sold
TDM 850

Offline Johannes

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Everything you do starts with motivation
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2013, 10:24:20 am »
Willowmore :dousing: that place has terrible people that doesnt help anyone and very rude and has 2 things I hate most

Warm beer and ugly woman :peepwall:
One wheel done deal....look up - open up - stand up - lift up

Suzuki DR 200 ( written off)
Yamaha DT 125 (SOLD)
Kawasaki KLR 250 (SOLD) Kawasaki Klr 650 2008 (all mods) Yamaha Yz 250 (SOLD) BAJAJ Pulsar 180 ( Commuting )

Offline J-dog

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2013, 10:25:57 am »
Jo'burg.

Polluted, flat, dry, cold, dangerous, in the middle of nowhere, full of rat-racers, traffic etc etc

:peepwall:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:34 am »
Lagos, a$$hole of the known universe....

Nigeria, armpit of Africa  :patch:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2013, 10:48:34 am »
For those of you who don't know, welcome to the real world.

Think you are right Mzee.  :thumleft:
I am sitting in Joburg wishing I could live in one of these small dorpies.
If I can pick though a pretty little place like Loeriesfontein or any one of the dorpies in the Northern Cape my favourite DS riding area. But then I love the sea also  :3some:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Draadwerk

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2013, 10:52:23 am »
Bangkok for sure. The worst smells you will ever encounter. Bad food, no liquor on sale. Bad traffic. Never ever again !!!

Offline Ventana

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2013, 11:00:37 am »
New York City - spent 10 days there in 1993 - couldn't wait to get out of there ASAP - like spending an expensive holiday in Hillbrow.  (although running the marathon was quite nice)

Never again thanks.....
Rom 1:16

Offline lecap

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2013, 01:21:43 pm »
Willowmore :dousing: that place has terrible people that doesnt help anyone and very rude and has 2 things I hate most

Don't share your sentiment. It's some time ago but I was in Willowmore three times in 1999 and 2002. The people were extraordinarily friendly although we admittedly only encountered The Willow GH & its Karoo Bar, garden & pool, the Agri Co-op to shop for replacements of a few bits which had fallen off the backup Nissan bakkie in the Baviaans and the Hospital to get one of our group patched up (after hours) before taking him to Knysna Mediclinic the next morning.

The beer & Savanna at the Willow were most definitely ice cold and in near unlimited supply. :cheers:
Don't recall any ugly women.

Only thing to be aware of is the rather deep open storm water drains on the side of the classic 12m wide Karoo town roads between roadway and sidewalk :o

BTW I think we should disqualify all central & West African dumps from being listed here. Better to use the space to warn from stay away places within "normal" DS riding range.

I share someone's earlier mentioned aversion towards Gansbaai. Best to drive through quickly although the "Fish Lady" which was named as "The worst fish & chips joint in the whole universe" by late 1990's LP editions does not seem to exist any more.
Gansbaai is dull, food is bad & expensive. Since we're not allowed to dive the HMS Birkenhead any more Gansbaai is best left alone and to the locals & shark cage diving tourists.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:36:03 pm by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline jagter

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2013, 01:34:25 pm »

Don't share your sentiment. It's some time ago but I was in Willowmore three times in 1999 and 2002. The people were extraordinarily friendly although we admittedly only encountered The Willow GH & its Karoo Bar, garden & pool, the Agri Co-op to shop for replacements of a few bits which had fallen off the backup Nissan bakkie in the Baviaans and the Hospital to get one of our group patched up (after hours) before taking him to Knysna Mediclinic the next morning.

The beer & Savanna at the Willow were most definitely ice cold and in near unlimited supply. :cheers:
Don't recall any ugly women.

Only thing to be aware of is the rather deep open storm water drains on the side of the classic 12m wide Karoo town roads between roadway and sidewalk :o

I also only have good experiences from Willowmore. Not a bad place.  Always stop there on my way to greater baviaans

Offline Bensien

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2013, 01:35:50 pm »
I have visited or stayed in many of the towns listed here, and I don’t have particularly bad memories of any of them, but then again, I have low standards. (I once stayed in the Baberspan Hotel).

One town that I try to avoid though is Leandra. Driving through it always leaves a bad taste.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Online DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »
Sibasa, stayed there in the mid 80's when it was still Venda Land.  It was worse than the DRC.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:01:31 pm by dpmza »
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

Offline Lear300

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2013, 08:00:51 pm »
I found myself driving through Leandra this afternoon.  :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

That place is a sh#t hole :deal:

Offline Ball and Chain

• Formerly Die Hoof Ouderling. Now back to his old self
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Honda xpress
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2013, 08:52:36 pm »
Seems like there are a lot of kak places in South Africa. ;D

I'm curious why Luderitz was so bad?
I arrived there with a South Westerly Wind blowing the living shit out of that place and I got that empty feeling, it was a Sunday afternoon..... the Streets were deserted and a couple of old Bluegum Trees would have completed the scene. I tell you I have never had such an emty feeling driving into any Town. I got lekker vrot that Night and got the Fuck out early the next Morning. And you have to drive the same route back.

You were lucky that there were no dunes over the road.

Stayed there for just over a year.  Diamond diver from the shore side South of Luderitz and Elizabeth bay(E-Bay).  It's inside the Sperrgebiedt.  Beautiful country.  The game is not scared of humans(No firearms allowed inside,  not even the guards)

Your timing was out,  because when the wind pics up,  for up to 2 weeks without end,  it is very miserable.

Honda Xpress

Offline Bensien

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2013, 06:29:18 am »
Seems like there are a lot of kak places in South Africa. ;D

I'm curious why Luderitz was so bad?
I arrived there with a South Westerly Wind blowing the living shit out of that place and I got that empty feeling, it was a Sunday afternoon..... the Streets were deserted and a couple of old Bluegum Trees would have completed the scene. I tell you I have never had such an emty feeling driving into any Town. I got lekker vrot that Night and got the Fuck out early the next Morning. And you have to drive the same route back.

You were lucky that there were no dunes over the road.

Stayed there for just over a year.  Diamond diver from the shore side South of Luderitz and Elizabeth bay(E-Bay).  It's inside the Sperrgebiedt.  Beautiful country.  The game is not scared of humans(No firearms allowed inside,  not even the guards)

Your timing was out,  because when the wind pics up,  for up to 2 weeks without end,  it is very miserable.
'

I was on my way there in December 2003 when a dune shifted across the road. About ten trucks and cars stuck on the road or next to it. And a lot of kids that appeared out of nowhere who were deliberately running in front of the vehicles trying to go round, making them brake and get stuck as well.

I was supposed to camp at Shark Island, but slept in the truck, as the wind was blowing tents with their contents into the ocean. The next morning it was perfectly calm and sunny and everything looked postcard pretty.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Grey hound
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2013, 06:53:22 am »
my office  ::)

You in your element in your office Drazil  :peepwall:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado,Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

• Grey hound
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2013, 06:57:17 am »
Holy crap Mthatha is by far the worst place I have ever been to. We arrived late afternoon and got stuck in some of the worst traffic I've seen mainly made worse by the complete lack of order and thought of others. My sister on her 800GS and myself on my 1200GS were stuck behind the Bakkie which had most of our stuff in it. We couldn't stand the crawling traffic so decided to go ahead and were a little anxious about the setting sun and the 60km of transkei dirt we were going to have to ride in the dark. We were heading out of town and were going to wait for the bakkie to catch up when we got a phone call from my other sister driving the bakkie with her husband.

Some low down, scum of the earth, dirt bag, waste of air, fuck faces had created a diversion by grabbing a phone from the car while some other twatwaffles broke open the canopy and start grabbing stuff out. It all happened so fast no one could do anything as there was just stand still traffic everywhere. My bike had started over heating from revving and not going anywhere for almost an hour. eventually the bikes made it back through all the out of control traffic to the bakkie. Where we found my sister in PEP buying cloths to make a plan for the stolen bag (the most important item that was stolen). PEP were very helpful and stayed way past closing time to try sort out all the shit. Thanks to the ladies from PEP for making the rest of our trip a bit more enjoyable than it could have been. We eventually made it out of the worst place on earth. And will never go within 100km of that place. I am busy looking at routes to take from East London to Sani and have made a 200km detour and extra night stay to bypass that shit hole

Alternate roue to Sani.
Queenstown, Elliot etc etc. best road and the nicest towns other than Mt Fletcher
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Online Bie

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2013, 07:05:40 am »
I'm pleasantly surprised. Jansenville is not on this list.  :blob7:
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Coala

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2013, 07:12:44 am »
Wie was al deur Britstown

ek het n huis in Vosburg, so 100km van Britstown - hey, die hotel op Britstown is nice - en die slaghuis se vleis is nice

• Grey hound
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2013, 07:17:28 am »
I'm pleasantly surprised. Jansenville is not on this list.  :blob7:

Nobody knows where it is, thats why  :peepwall: