Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Problems with the new LC  (Read 121244 times)

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Re: Problems with the new LC
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2013, 09:54:28 pm »
All being said and done, I think the bottom line is that 5000 km later, most riders of the LC will be happy that they bought the right bike.  Some others may realize 5000 km later that they bought the wrong bike.  Given the fact that this is a complete new bike, sharing few components with the older version, BMW have not done too badly. 

I see the new shipment now comes standard "full house" with LED light and cruise control.  The next version has a built-in steering damper.  I cannot imagine that any full house fan would want anything more in a bike.   I would have liked a basic one with no wires and buttons, but I am ok with this one too.  It is a well thought out bike.  And riding it is not as lewensgevaarlik as some make out.... 8)
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline AntVan

• I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2013, 10:47:39 pm »
Note how many guys posting actually have issues.

I am just saying. ;)
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2013, 06:04:35 am »
Most of those who have "issues" do not own or ride the bike.....  ;)
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline Davew

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2013, 06:21:01 am »

Starting to think that myself...  :laughing4:
Sure, expect some duds, especially in new models of anything, but touch wood, my experience thus far has been all positive.
Loving the ride  :ricky:

A lot of this and similar threads reminds me of the nay Sayers going on about how the then new Defenders would never match up to the old series Landies, then again when the Discovery 3 was launched with a monocoque chassis. Guess what.... ? Both went on to become great marques in their own rights after a few early teething problems.  :deal:

Only gripe has been around the piss poor support on accessories from BMW, which seems to be improving.

So in fairness to the spirit of this thread Goose started, let's just say my experience is very much on the positive side of the equation

Cheers

Offline Obi -Wan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2013, 09:07:26 am »
So here we have a very experienced motorcyclist who gets thrown off as a result of a tankslapper whilst riding on Tar - Reg Gurnell on the economy run.

Given that this is not the first documented incident that there is something not quite right with the steering on this motorcycle this must surely raise concerns amongst you owners of the LC ?

Added to this is the fact that the 2014 models have had a major front end redesign including steering damper, revised esa and I believe major retooling took place to change front end components. Something not quite right?

Less factual is the reporting on the UK GSer site where owners are seeing trade-in offers of 8000 pounds on motorcycles that sold for 15000 pounds earlier this year. What do the BMW dealers know ? The Chinese made gearbox and clutch assembly are also starting to make their presence felt with one in 3 bikes requiring new pushrods, master cylinders and clutch parts.

As a long time BMW owner it is disheartening to read reports like this - It seems we now have to look for an older low mileage BMW and store it away for future use because the new ones just don't have it anymore.

Real Men ride a Pig !

Online Offshore

« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2013, 09:27:27 am »
It really pisses me off that a Legendary Manufacturer like BMW does not do a recall or whatever to rectify the Situation. Their Indifference is beyond me. :dousing:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2013, 10:03:24 am »
Obi-Wan you could not have said it better!

'Give that man a Bells'!!

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2013, 06:31:38 pm »
As a long time BMW owner it is disheartening to read reports like this.

I agree with that part.  I am just wondering why and how it happens that we read all these horrible stories, but my bike and some others seem to behave OK?  Are the "issues" only manifesting on some bikes?  Is it the tyres?  Does it have to do with something the rider does?  In the meantime, I am still enjoying the ride.  Let's see what the future holds?  Would be nice to see some facts.  Most of what we have seen is perceptions or emotional comments.  Where did the designers go wrong?  ???
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #188 on: September 14, 2013, 06:59:00 pm »
Has any LC rider experience a tank slapper or any instability issues? Please only reply based on your OWN experience, not hearsay or what you have read somewhere

Offline AntVan

• I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #189 on: September 14, 2013, 08:50:02 pm »
Not once. If I take my hands off the bars at a certain speed a very slight wobble once or twice. Could not get her to do it again. Must say the old oil head did the same.

No clutch issues.

No water pump issues.

Nada.

Have 2200 km on clock.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #190 on: September 14, 2013, 09:18:14 pm »
I have almost 3000 k's on the clock. Also no instability issues, feels more stable to me in sand than my previous 1200.

Offline paulb

« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2013, 04:01:08 am »
4500 km en die bike loop soos n droom , my 1190 staan vandat ek die LC gekoop het  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it

Offline T Rex

« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2013, 06:23:28 am »
4500 km en die bike loop soos n droom , my 1190 staan vandat ek die LC gekoop het  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Paul
Is hy  (1190) dalk een van die dae te koop, .......ek kan jou afbetaal ?? :lol8: :lol8:

Maar ek sal nie my GSA verkoop nie. :thumleft:

Offline FATO

« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2013, 06:15:22 pm »

Hoekom staan hy paulb?
Ex-Africa semper aliquid novi!

Offline GSing

• Direct Your Adventure
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2013, 08:12:08 pm »
After 7 weeks my leaking clutch reservoir was replaced with another bikes, because BMW SA can't still... give us any eta on the replacement parts ordered due to there stock/system or want ever they call it problems. At lease I have a LC running again.

PS - I managed to get my hands on 2 sets of Karoo 3's, and will be fitting them tomorrow on the LC & 1190.

Offline HermanH

• Bike: Italjet (all models)
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2013, 06:49:39 am »
Has any LC rider experience a tank slapper or any instability issues? Please only reply based on your OWN experience, not hearsay or what you have read somewhere

9,500 km and nothing! I have a slight wobble at certain speeds when I let go of the handle-bar! It comes and goes, depending on front-tyre pressure etc. This wobble is a lot less than what I experienced on my S10!

Basically what I have found is that the bike does not want to be "man-handled". What I mean is, when you put to much weight on the front wheel or you "white-knuckle" the handle bars, the bike tends to wobble the front wheel a bit!

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2013, 07:08:13 am »

You could not have said it better ..... :laughing4: :laughing4:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2013, 04:17:37 pm »
From the above replies it is clear, the LC has very little instability problems. As far as I know it is only Pauli who had a wobble issue, which was proven to be tire related.

Offline paulb

« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2013, 04:41:31 pm »

Hoekom staan hy paulb?

Die GS ry baie lekkerder
Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2013, 04:59:25 pm »
The guys or reporters that have experienced tank slappers, are they heavy set or lighties sub 70kg guys? I am wondering if some people arent just to light...?

Hoekom staan hy paulb?

Die GS ry baie lekkerder

Wil jy nie meer uit brei nie? Hoe lekkerder? Voel hy ligter? Is die KTM te vinnig of te glad of te swaar? (min mense wat altwee besit...alle opinies nogal waardevol van hulle af dink ek)

Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...