Do the Japs give a sh*t?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger39

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
A few years back I was in the market for an adventure bike and my heart was set on the Africa Twin and went online to see where I could go and view one. Also, I don't rush into buying anything so while I was in the area I decided I would also look at the BMW's, KTM's and the Triumph's. This is where I was in for a bit of a shock.
The European bike dealerships are like the designer clothing shops you'd find in Sandton City. "Coffee, would you like to browse our clothing range.....we can even offer you a haircut if you have time?"
The Japanese dealerships on the other hand are dissapointing to say the least. Want to view an Africa Twin....."ah yes, they're upstairs in the corner" and then you have to proceed through a car showroom to try and find one.

Now I understand why there are so many BMW's and KTM's on the road. You are buying into a lifestyle and a brand, when your mate says "lets go and have a coffee and sit on the bikes at BMW" you're immediately excited, nobody gets excited to go to a car dealership to see if they maybe have a bike that you like.

Now I don't know what the deal is with bike dealerships in South Africa but I think its similar around the world, the Japanese dealerships are seriously lacking and if you want me to spend a lot of money on a bike that I probably can't even test ride then you'd better bring out a cappucino....at least.

I'm not finished with my oreintal rant yet either because when it comes to bike design the Japanese need to sharpen their pencils.
Let's face it, the Japs could have given us a "unicorn" bike a long time ago.

Imagine if Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki brought out a bike like the Aprilia Tuareg. Light weight, various modes, cruise control, tubeless wheels etc etc....and competent everywhere.
Instead the gave us the T7, Transalp and 800 DE.....all competent bikes but lacking in various areas.
Why is this, why don't any of the Japanese manufacturers make a bulletproof bike like a Tuareg?

The one positive though is that the Chineses are here and for a lot less cash they are starting to make some kitted out bikes so hopefully the Japanese take note.

P.S. I ride an Africa Twin :)