Leo's Dec "07 rides

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Compliments of the season to all. I hope all made it home safely, or else at least alive. Yes Xmas has come on gone, and all that remains is to tell the story. First stop was the busy metropolis of Klaarstroom. I visited this place quite frequently during the last few years of my school career (late 70â??s) as I worked on my uncleâ??s farm over Decemberâ??s and had to pick up labourerâ??s here every morning around 5. Not much has changes since those days  :eek:

Dec.jpg

In this shop one can still buy anythingâ?¦.  ;D

Dec1.jpg

We stayed in Dana Bay near Mosselbay, and with all the lovely routed around, it wasnâ??t long before we started exploring. My partner in crime was Basil also known as Bikermice (BM) on the forum and his 16 year old son Jean. Just outside Mosselbay we turned off to Herbertsdale, and then turned off on a gravel track that would take us on a scenic road.

Dec2.jpg

All along the road signs of the recent water damage was indicating that not so long ago this areas was severely drenched

Dec3.jpg

Our route took us along the inland side of some serious mountains and soon we passed the Gourits rivier, about 100 km upstream from where it runs into the ocean.

Dec4.jpg

Signs of the recent flooding was evident from all the wood piled against bushes and trees. 

Dec5.jpg

Eventually we crossed the main road from Ladismith to Riversdal, which meant  only one thing â?? some serious footpeg scraping along the lovely passes.

Dec8.jpg

Dec9.jpg

We followed the gravel roads from Stilbaai and eventually witnessed the water damage of the Gourits closer to the ocean. Lots of valuable topsoil has simply been washed into the ocean.

Dec10.jpg

Dec12.jpg

Imagine how wide the river must have been flowing here

Dec13.jpg

Our next venture was a bit more serious and involved some sleepover. Between Heidelberg and Zuurbraak the road was washed away, but we managed to pass through the carnage.

Dec16.jpg

En route to Zuurbraak we passed Strawberry hill and eventually got to the turnoff towards the Tradouw pass. 

Dec17.jpg

Dec18.jpg

Dec19.jpg

This pass was recently rated in the â??WEGâ? magazine as one off SAâ??s top 10 passes and it was easy to see why.

Dec20.jpg

Dec21.jpg

Dec22.jpg

Dec23.jpg

Dec25.jpg

As kids we were told these rivers hosted Coke Cola. We were never allowed to go down to the river and collect some coke, we just had to watch from a distance and desire  :eek:

Dec28.jpg

Our next stop was breakfast at the Country Pumpkin in Barrydale. On a previous visit I was handed a little Route 62 badge -  cause I was on a bike, but rules have changed since, and you now have to buy it for yes youâ??ve guessed it R62  8)

Dec29.jpg

Dec30.jpg

With our tummies well and truly stuffed we headed towards Robertson via Montagu. For those that donâ??t know, Robertson is the home of the Klipdrift distillery  ;D

Dec31.jpg

Upon our arrival we were handed a welcome Klipdrift and Coke by the â??Brandewyntertâ? before commencing on a tour of the cellars.

Dec32.jpg

Nice advert â?? It says â??Save Waterâ?

Dec33.jpg

Upon our return from the cellar we had to do the tasting thing. First we sampled some regular Klipdrift Export, followed by Klipdrift Premium, Klipdrift Gold and eventually some Klippies and Cola.

Dec34.jpg

Hereâ??s the original copper watch stuck on 08:02 â?? the time when Kosie sampled his brandy for the first time in 19whatever.

Dec35.jpg

All the watches in the building are stuck on 08:02 except the ones showing other cities across the world. The reason for this that time stands still while one drinks Klipdrift - so they say.

Dec36.jpg

Hereâ??s BM signing the visitorâ??s book. Notice the Klipdrift Xmas tree on the left

Dec37.jpg

Dec38.jpg

Nice add  ;D

Dec39.jpg

After the Klippies tour we headed towards Bainskloof as BM has never ridden here. This pass is not for the faint hearted as there are no regular barriers â?? merely a rock planted every meter or so - supposedly preventing you from going over the edge

Dec40.jpg

Dec41.jpg

Dec42.jpg

Dec43.jpg

More Coke Cola in the river  :D

Dec45.jpg

Dec46.jpg

Once over the mountain one can view Wellington, or smellington as we called it while at school and Paarl further to the left

Dec47.jpg

Dec48.jpg

Dec49.jpg

Dec50.jpg

From Wellington we headed to Riebeek Wes as I wanted to show BM where I had grown up. Lunch was had at the Riebeeck Valley Hotel. The staff must have been on a go slow strike as we waited one and a half hours for our sandwiches.

Dec51.jpg

Dec52.jpg

Dec53.jpg

After lunch we visited the Kloovenburg Wine Estate to sample some of SAâ??s finest  ;)

Dec54.jpg

Dec55.jpg

At least we had space for one bottle of the good stuff  ;D

Dec56.jpg

Just before Moorreesburg BM realized he had only packed one pair of socks, so the local Pep had to provide.

Dec57.jpg

Just past Hopefield we turned off towards Laaiplek as BM wanted to visit some stands he had bought at Admiralâ??s Island in Port Owen. (This was the main reason for our trip)

Dec58.jpg

Well the stands are still empty, but the wind was pumping.

Dec61.jpg

I called a mate who was camping in Lambertsbaai, and soon we were heading that way for the night. Between Dwarskersbos and Elandsbaai the road is below sea level. See the elevation â?? top right on the GPS -.02m

Dec62.jpg

We followed the gravel road nexto the railway tracks. Between Elandsbaai and Lambertsbaai this gravel road is tolled an done has to pay to use it

Dec63.jpg

Elandsbaai â?? still one of the most beautiful little places on the west coast  ;)

Dec64.jpg

Our evening in Lambertsbaai was marked by lotsa alcohol, laughs , etc as 94% of the people were from Namakwaland, and we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. For some reason I took no pics. Hereâ??s myself and Jean outside the campsite the next morning

Dec65.jpg

Hereâ??s Rooies in the Lambertsbaai harbor, aint se purdy  ;D

Dec66.jpg

â?¦and Honey also in the same spot  ;)

Dec67.jpg

From Lamberts we headed inland towards Clainwilliam as we wanted to cross the Ceder Mountains into the Tankwa Karoo. It was low thirties and it wasnâ??t 9 oâ??clock yet. This was going to be a scorcher.

Dec68.jpg

In main road Clainwilliam this lady was preparing â??rooster koekeâ? so we sampled some â?? delicious

Dec69.jpg

Dec70.jpg

BM and Jean in the Ceders

Dec71.jpg

Visiting C Louis Leipolds last resting spot

Dec72.jpg

Even the geckoâ??s came out to check the bikes

Dec73.jpg

The Cedermountains has some strange shapes and well worth a visit

Dec74.jpg

Dec75.jpg

Dec76.jpg

Dec77.jpg

Dec78.jpg

Dec79.jpg

Dec80.jpg

We traveled towards Wupperthal and then took the turn off towards Uitspanningskraal

Dec81.jpg

Dec83.jpg

We followed the road through the Biedouw Valley and the road suddenly stopped at the mighty Doring river.

Dec84.jpg

I have never crossed such a big river but as per standard operating procedure walked through to check the depth. I didnâ??t manage 10 metres where I stumbled over some rocks and landed in the water Boots & All. Well it was rather refreshing so I made the most of it.

Dec85.jpg

BM and Jean followed but only after taking off all their kit

Dec86.jpg

The water was halfway up my upper leg so I favored my chances of getting the bikes through. We had traveled for 3 hours till this stage and I was in no mood to go all the way back. Rooies was the first to swim, and I got her through fine  ;)

Dec87.jpg

Honey was next and although she made me work harder, I managed to get her through safely as well

Dec88.jpg

I guess this was the best way to get across  :eek:

Dec89.jpg

After all BM was Klipdrift kuiergas # 4487, so he had to be treated like royalty  ;D

Dec90.jpg

Meanwhile I was chilling under a thorn bush as the temp was close to 40 and #$%^& hot.

Dec91.jpg

Soon life returned to normal as the sheep turned in for some drink

Dec92.jpg

The opposite bank had some nice sand for extra energy sapping. Lotsa funâ?¦..  ;D

Dec93.jpg

BM and son walking the sand

Dec94.jpg

We were now into the Tankwa Karoo and wide open spaces greeted us with open arms  8)

Dec95.jpg

Dec96.jpg

Special words of thanks to Pierre and Ronel for letting us pass their land, although without their permission  :eek:

Dec97.jpg

Dec98.jpg

Dec99.jpg

Dec100.jpg

Dec101.jpg

Dec102.jpg

We turned into the main road leading from Calvinia to Ceres, some 180 kmâ??s from Ceres. I told BM we should try and cover that under one hourâ?¦.  ;)

Dec103.jpg

Dec104.jpg

Soon I realized there was no way Rooies was going to make this with the remaining petrol so we tapped of to more realistic speeds

Dec105.jpg

Honey in full flight

Dec106.jpg

Rooies doing the flying thingâ?¦

Dec107.jpg

I was running desperately low on fuel and headed for Touwsriver as it was closer. I covered the last 60 kmâ??s with the fuel guage showing empty, and would have picked up a tow from BM had I run outta fuel

Dec108.jpg

From here we headed towards Montagu, Ashton, Swellendam and back to Danabay

Dec109.jpg

My soaked feet had been inside my waterprufe boots and wet socks since 12â??ish, so when I took my boots off that evening I had real Oupa feet

Dec110.jpg

Hereâ??s a selection of some other events we did which didnâ??t always include the bikes. Close relative catching up on a peep

Dec111.jpg

BM and kids outside a wine tasting room,

Dec112.jpg

Visiting the SA version of Stone Hedge

Dec113.jpg

Meanwhile the women were giving the wine tasting some gas and was in high siprits in no time

Dec114.jpg

Spectacular scenery outside Calitsdorp  ;)

Dec115.jpg

The women displaying the cellarâ??s cold medals and generally just being high spirited  ;D

Dec116.jpg

Mean while the pickup was filling up with the good stuff  :eek:

Dec117.jpg

We found Koos Kombuissâ?? Rock and Roll Ossewa

Dec118.jpg

The women being silly - stricking a pose  ;)

Dec119.jpg

Returning yesterday I had to queue outside Beaufort West to get into town  :eek:

Dec120.jpg

Dec121.jpg

So now weâ??re safely back at home and ready to hit the sawmill on Monday.

Have a GR8 2008 â?? all of you!  8)