Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 - Which bars?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline DJ

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Member of the SSS
DR650 - Which bars?
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:10:07 am »
Hey fellow DR riders,

Which aftermarket bars do you recommend? I am around 5'10" and don't really want bars with a cross bar. I would like the bars to be higher to make standing more comfortable. If adapters/raisers are needed for fat bars they must still work with the stock cables.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

Offline Ganjora

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
Re: DR650 - Which bars?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:33:59 am »
had renthal fat bars on my DR.
raisers available from lecap.
worked fine with all the cables etc.
barkbusters need a different 'inner' fitting.

Offline Ganjora

• Drug War Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:34:39 am »
renthal are the best,  pro taper also very good.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:26:10 am »
You will need an adapter  / riser combo. I made some a while back (including the ones for Ganjora) but the project dozed away from no demand.
AFAIK many readily available fat bar adapters don't fit (using 12mm bolts) or they leave you just as low as the OEM bars.
I am sure I still have some on the shelf.

The adapters & risers I made are height adjustable from 5mm to 35mm in 5mm increments. More is possible but it gets tricky with cable lengths.

Not cheap since it's quite a bit of stuff: Riser kit + fat bar adapters + Renthal fat bar R2300 plus postage.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Ganjora

• Drug War Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:30:33 am »
Not cheap since it's quite a bit of stuff: Riser kit + fat bar adapters + Renthal fat bar R2300 plus postage.

not cheap,  but you are left with a MUCH better riding position,  MUCH stronger handle bars - renthals are super tough,  and MUCH cleaner lines - 'cockpit' is less cluttered.
i was very happy with the mod,  but i have always been happiest throwing money at my bikes.

Offline DJ

• Member of the SSS
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 09:32:29 am »
Thanks for the advice Gonjora and lecap, much appreciated.  :thumleft:
Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

Offline boland

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:30:02 am »
Trevor at Adventure Riders in Cape Town also sells the adapter/riser. Don't know if he can post. I put 30 mm risers in without problem, but could tell that higher will become problematic.

http://www.advrider.co.za/index.php?cPath=94&osCsid=51ebe1a5c66bd15dd16a54a2cdddf042

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 10:53:31 am »
Please note my conversion does not use the El Cheapo combined fatbar adapter and riser which stack on top of the OEM clamps like Legos and move the bars up parallel to the steering axis.

It's completely new 28mm diameter clamps with a set of shims to adjust the height.
The handlebar clamps are machined off centre and are reversible to give additional adjustability to move the bars further forward (which makes sense) or closer to the seat (which does not make sense ;D ) The important part is that the bars move up AND forward.
The looks of the assembly are much cleaner than the Lego block type risers stacked on top of the OEM clamps.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline boland

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 12:31:33 pm »
Yeah yeah, just tried to help

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 03:56:15 pm »
Please note my conversion does not use the El Cheapo combined fatbar adapter and riser which stack on top of the OEM clamps like Legos and move the bars up parallel to the steering axis.

It's completely new 28mm diameter clamps with a set of shims to adjust the height.
The handlebar clamps are machined off centre and are reversible to give additional adjustability to move the bars further forward (which makes sense) or closer to the seat (which does not make sense ;D ) The important part is that the bars move up AND forward.
The looks of the assembly are much cleaner than the Lego block type risers stacked on top of the OEM clamps.
Do you still have a set of clamps and shims?
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 08:47:16 pm »
Get yourself a Protaper fatbar and risers, will workout about R1500

1 of the best mods you can do on the DR, It will make the bike feel so much better!

No need to change cables. :thumleft:
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 08:56:22 pm »
I found the "Factory Suzuki/KTM Stock" bend, to be the best for me, but it's a personal preference.
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 11:56:03 am »

For the fat bars? Must have a look on Monday. I think there were two sets left.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 06:17:07 pm »

Yes, and maybe a pic pse? :thumleft:

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 02:34:34 pm »

No issues with the "Lego" clamps on a bike like a DR. Certainly a cheaper solution.

Offline bikoholic

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 08:38:42 am »
I just went with the lego type razers and standard protaper bars and works well for me.
Who needs a road anyway?

Offline bikoholic

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 08:40:00 am »
From the front.
Who needs a road anyway?

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 12:43:24 pm »

Any stock LeCap? ???

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 08:56:28 am »
I have one set left.

Don't think I have a picture of the setup Dave had on his bike.

The conversion consists of:
A set of 28.6mm clamping blocks.
A set of shims 5mm, 10mm and 20mm thick.
Two custom made high tensile extra long bolts to attach the clamping blocks to the OEM damping rubbers in the upper triple clamps with the shims fitted in between. Nice mil grade yellow cadmium plating as usual.

You pick your choice of shims to lift the clamping blocks by any amount from 5mm to 35mm, whatever you deem necessary.
You can go higher than 35mm but you will need custom made cables and I'll have to make a set of extra long bolts.

You can have the same risers for the OEM 22.2mm clamping blocks too.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 09:25:21 am »
I have one set left.

Don't think I have a picture of the setup Dave had on his bike.

The conversion consists of:
A set of 28.6mm clamping blocks.
A set of shims 5mm, 10mm and 20mm thick.
Two custom made high tensile extra long bolts to attach the clamping blocks to the OEM damping rubbers in the upper triple clamps with the shims fitted in between. Nice mil grade yellow cadmium plating as usual.

You pick your choice of shims to lift the clamping blocks by any amount from 5mm to 35mm, whatever you deem necessary.
You can go higher than 35mm but you will need custom made cables and I'll have to make a set of extra long bolts.

You can have the same risers for the OEM 22.2mm clamping blocks too.
Confirm these are the offset raisers, in order to mount the handlebar further forward? ???

Confirm the set you have in stock is for fatbars (28.6mm)? (Clamping blocks for 22.2mm need to be manufactured?)

Pse PM banking details with price and postage for the 28.6mm raisers. :thumleft: