Contemplating- trading my pig for a DRZ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1armbandit

Raggedy Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
As the title states - I’m seriously considering selling my DR650 to buy a DRZ400.

Here is the full story back in 2020 my DR350 was stolen… my very generous mate gave me his unregistered DR650 that he had rebuilt (was in an accident where the rider lost his life and bike was left with bent forks and rims to sit for 7 years) as I was bikeless and heart broken.

4 months later the cops recovered my DR350. Which was mostly trashed cosmetically but still the faithful stead that I had loved and cared for for 6 years prior.

1 year later i eventually by some miracle sorted out all the DR650 paperwork and got it licensed and registered, and managed to get the 350 back to most of its former glory.

So I now have 2 x DRs licenced and road legal and up and running strong. So my overall plan was/is to keep both till my son who is now 8 can ride the 350. Then we can ride together.

But that will only happen maybe 8 years from now ….

Now in the last 2 months I have moved to Haenertsburg Limpopo and barely ride tar and don’t need a 650. The 350 is great fun around here but lacks decent suspension and has 60 000km on the clock so I don’t wanna rack up many miles on it.

So I have now been seriously thinking if I should part with the 650 and get something better off road for me and something for my son to ride before he is big enough for the 350… which got me thinking maybe a Drz 400 would be a good middle ground bike? Or maybe even a crf250?

I would love some thoughts and past experiences from people who have owned both DR650 and DRZ400 ? The 650 is heavy and suspension is really limiting. I don’t have extra bucks to upgrade suspension, unless I sell a bike. I could sell the 650 upgrade the 350 suspension and overall the engine. But that’s time and money and I quite like the idea of leaving it stock standard.

So that’s my story… advice and thought please.