Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 - Which bars?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DR650 - Which bars?
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 09:33:14 am »
Ok here we go:

I've got one set of shim stacks and bolts and small bits left for you.

The clamps shown in the picture are OEM 22.2mm and are symmetrical with 22.2mm bars fitted.

The 28.6mm clamps replace the OEM clamps, are machined from billet stock and the bore for the handlebars is offset by 6mm to the bore for the bolt which attaches the clamp to the upper triple clamp. I get stock tomorrow 28.6mm, possibly 22.2mm too if required.

Means with the 28.6mm clamps the bars will not only move straight up relative to the triple clamp but also a little bit forwards which makes perfect sense since the reach (distance from seat to bar ends) will stay the same or even increase slightly if you fit nice straight MX bend bars with little sweep.

I have limited the adjustment range of the risers to 35mm as firstly this makes a BIG difference although it might not seem a lot (I use 25mm with OEM bars and OEM pegs and I'm 1.94m). it also allows to use the standard clutch, throttle and choke cables as long as you don't combine the risers with very tall bars.
If you need to go VERY tall it's best to combine risers no higher than 35mm with tall bars as this will not reduce the reach as the combination of tall risers and flat bars would.
In this case(only this case) I would anyhow first investigate the option of no more than 35mm risers & bars like CR Mid bend or the likes and pegs  lowered and moved back.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
Re: DR650 - Which bars?
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:00 pm »
I would appreciate a set of off-set risers for a fatbar (28.6mm). I have noted the max recommended rise of 35mm.

I already have the footpeg brackets from Vetkat.

Pse PM cost, postage and bank details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE