Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Hi, my name is BlouVark & I'm an addict...  (Read 2325 times)

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
Hi, my name is BlouVark & I'm an addict...
« on: May 31, 2006, 11:14:05 am »
I can still remember my first bike, was 11 years old & a friend of my father gave me this old beat up Honda 50cc, SSS I think it was, to run around with on our farm in Tzaneen. Then I got into motocross at 13 with a 80cc Kawa & later on ending at 16 with a 125 Suzuki RM in the high school class. It was all becoming a bit expensive & I wasn't that good anyway :oops: Bought a Honda MBX 50 for commuting to school & when I got my licence for a cage, never got on a bike again till I was 23. Had a lot of different 400's then a CBR600 & then the Fireblade.

I was in the process of replacing the Blade with one of these,

when I had a go on a friends GS.
My problem, Dr Ruth, is now I can't stay off this $"@*$# thing! :!:

The routes I take, my weekends, my thoughts are all planned around it.
Is it possible that I might be beyond any help?  :?: :shock:
The doc told me to quit smoking & I told him to go f... himself, so don't tell me to quit. :lol:  :P

(this is what happens when you've got time to kill)
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 11:22:48 am »
All together:

HI BLOUVARK

Welcome to the club boet, my wife told me the other day that she knows i will never cheat on her with another woman cuz i got this bike now. She is insanely jealous of the bike and told me that once the baby (due in 3 weeks OMF :shock: ) is a little older... she wants her own bike so we can go riding together....aint life great....

I have the exact same thoughts around the bike as you.. i thought it would dissapear after a while but it's been a while now and it just does not end

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 11:54:13 am »
My dad had a Honda C90 (off-road version with a high and low gear ration nogal) and the first time I got on it I knew I was hooked. Had to wait till varsity before I could get my own bike and then when I started to work I had to go without a bike for 2 years. It was the worst years of my life! I used to swear at every biker I saw just because I was so jealous. If I don't get the chance to ride over the weekend I'm actually looking forward to going to work on Monday morning (even if it's commuting through London's traffic) as it means I get to ride again. Addict? Me? Too right!!
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 12:04:20 pm »
"Inherited" my brothers Suzuki TR50. Red. Was not impressed because the first 50cc liquid cooled bikes made their appearance around the same time. Dad had no mercy. Either ride the TR or save up and buy own bike.

Delivered newspapers, did holiday work and got myself the Suzuki TS50. Yellow.

Then off to army and did a stint on the Suzuki DR500 in Luhatla Sands. Fun times! One just jumped off the bike if you saw trouble coming! Sand landing was lekker soft!

Then a painfully long time gap till 2004 Desert Run when I decided to get my own bike again.

October 05 got the Dakar and am totally hooked to annoyance of "regering" at home. Aiming for an addition or two in the future but that can be a veeerrry long time still. :cry:

Must say, being involved with this forum play's/played a major role in the "hooked" feeling. 8)
He who angers you, controls you.

Uncle Bob

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 12:14:11 pm »
Hey BV,

Would say i feel sorry for you 'cause of you're "addiction" and all ... But i don't.
Have the same addiction, also started looking forward to work cause i can ride again.
Only problem i have with the bike is going out for a pint or 6 after work, i refuse to drink and ride - so usually i go home, fetch the cage and then go drink - i have no problem with drinking and drivin(talk about double standards!!)

Just read about grootseuns trip to GM, thinking i should cancell my hunting trip this weekend so i can go  :D

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 12:22:25 pm »
HI BLOUVARK

I also liked soopabikes and planned to replace my TL with a new blade. Out of curiosity I test rode a GS and the addiction began.

Now I'm as happy as a clam.
I may give up smoking. I may even give up drinking. But I will never give up biking!

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 12:25:11 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
I may give up smoking. I may even give up drinking. But I will never give up biking!

Spoken like a true biker!!

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 12:44:46 pm »
Liewe Murray,

Ek is verslaaf aan motorfietsry, ek dink eet en slaap net motorfietsry. Weet nie meer wat om te doen nie want dit het my hele lewe oorgeneem........... :D

Friend of mine who's no longer with us anymore got a bike from his dad at age 14. It was a piece of scrap and can't even remember the make or model of it. We spend a couple of weekends on it and finally one Friday night got it started at 01:00 in the morning. His dad came running and screaming outside still under a brannewyn and coke haze that we should shut that f%&*kin thing off else he will. We smiled and revved it one more time before turning it off. Couple of hours later....ok it was 06:00 we were ready to fire it up again but impatiently waited for his dad to come and have a look.

He eventually got up and walked over to the bike and said "julle fokken laaites het ook nie einde nie n?©!" Started the beast up and helped us tune the carb and set everything else up. The next couple of weeks that poor bike never stood still and it was up and down in the park in front of their house. The neighbours complained the cops pitched up but every time missing us with a few minutes. That was the fastest bestest bike ever for us!!

Two years later we both had 50cc myself a DT50 and Johan started off with a MB5 and then RZ50. Man we could conquer the world and go anywhere. We use to ride next to each other pretending to be CHIPS. Those were the days that started me biking which I will never ever forget. Now nearly 20 years later still riding bike nearly every day and there has been times where I thought going to pack it all in but just can't imagine what life would be like without two wheels. Biking has taken me across South-Africa, England, Wales, Scotland, France, Netherlands, Belgium and Germany and even got some personalised piece of tar in Pretoria a small little dorpie on the island of Crete :lol:
Thinking of all these trip we have done on bikes can't say there is a single trip I would of rather done by any other means of transport irregardless of the weather, cost or risk. Now think about how many trips you have done with cars, bus or plane where you thought this would of been perfect by bike.

Biking is not a hobby, it's a way of living.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 01:11:55 pm »
Ag OK Mav, you've spoken like a true biker too. :D

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 01:52:33 pm »
Phew ook maar goed so want ek moes daai storie diep gaan uithaal :D
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline briv

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 10:22:50 am »
Ek't het std 6 op die plaas geleer om met die Yam AG100 die grond paaie aan te durf. It was a bloody heavy piece of iron and protection bars and carriers with a low geared box and min cc's ,maximun 80km/h lying flat with your feet over the rear flickers alla Kent Clarck SupMan,down hill. Het eendag so hard geval met twee van die plaas kwodiens agter op dat ek vir weke gelimp het. Die bike en nie eers a beat gemis nie. Al my friends had 50's and ER 185 / 125's. Lekka ou tye ! My dad went trough is 40's and bought a Suz GS 450 Moer dit was powerful op n grond pad ! Ek het hom so paar keer gehotwire op die headlight dan trek ek lang wit stepe op die buur plaas se grond pad sodat hy dit nie sien nie. Hy het dit toe gesien en vandaar is die steering lock altyd aan en ek terug oppie AG.

Toe is dit army en daar op Lohatla sands het ek ook n DR500 as tx gehad.(ek was n transport off.) Die het ek eenkeer in die menasie se gang af gery tot in die was kamer.Die swart streep het lank op die army teels gesit. Ek ry nou nog op die lisensie wat ek daar gekry het toe ek die RSM beveel om my bike lisensie te isue.
Terug in sivie straat het ek n XR200 gekoop. Dit was my pride and joy, a wheelie machine !
Lank net na bikes gekyk toe ek die XR verkoop het. Baie keer amper gekoop, Kawa KDX200, Yam 600 TT, Af twin(wou altyd die ding he). Tot een dag in 2003 koop ek toe n Yam  XS 11 SPECIAAL en maak hom mooi reg. Moerse probleem ek kannie grond pad ry nie en daar kom n koper en daar gaan hy, en toe is dit KTM 640 ADV,en toe F650 Daker en Nou is my lang soeke vervul met n pragtige ARIKAANSe Tweeling. Wie weet wat die toekoms in hou maar n bike sal nou altyd deel van my kop-skoon- maak ritiueel wees !
oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
Yamaha AG 100. Honda XR200. Yamaha XS11.  KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS

is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 10:57:30 am »
Quote from: "briv"
..... n bike sal nou altyd deel van my kop-skoon- maak ritiueel wees !

Nice one briv. :hello1:
Best & cheapest therapy around & the most fun you can have with your pants on :lol:
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 03:48:58 pm »
HI BLOUVARK

.....I may give up smoking. I may even give up drinking. But I will never give up biking!

.....what bout sex?
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 04:17:50 pm »
Many moons ago at the age of 7 on my dad?s farm, he tried to teach me how to ride his Honda 80 plaasbike. No luck and I ended on the ground wrapped in my mom?s washing. So mom put an end to that training.  :oops:

A few months later my school came to visit our farm for a look and learn. And me being a windgat and grootbek tuned everybody about my motorbaaik and how well I ride the weeks before. :lol:

So my mates demanded to see my bike and I show them. Then they asked me to start it and I start it. Then they asked my to sit in it and I sat on it. And then the asked me to show them how I ride and I rode that bike just there. Dad could not get me off so he bought himself a XL185. Four years later he could not get me off that bike also. So he bought himself a XR200 which I stole from him anyway. So he gave up with bikes and rode his bakkie instead. Age sixteen I started skydiving, got hooked big time. Sold the XR200 to buy skydiving gear.

Forgot about bikes for a few years till my best friend bought a soopabike. For 3 years it was soopabikes and then I realised it?s the gravel I miss.  So I bought a Africa Twin. Three months later my ex-wife said??its me or your bike?  :shock:

Not difficult to chose. After that I did 58 000km in 3 years. Been there done that. Married the best pillion in the world last year and bought a 1200GS. How happy can a man get? :D  :D

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 04:18:14 pm »
Many moons ago at the age of 7 on my dad?s farm, he tried to teach me how to ride his Honda 80 plaasbike. No luck and I ended on the ground wrapped in my mom?s washing. So mom put an end to that training.  :oops:

A few months later my school came to visit our farm for a look and learn. And me being a windgat and grootbek tuned everybody about my motorbaaik and how well I ride the weeks before. :lol:

So my mates demanded to see my bike and I show them. Then they asked me to start it and I start it. Then they asked my to sit in it and I sat on it. And then the asked me to show them how I ride and I rode that bike just there. Dad could not get me off so he bought himself a XL185. Four years later he could not get me off that bike also. So he bought himself a XR200 which I stole from him anyway. So he gave up with bikes and rode his bakkie instead. Age sixteen I started skydiving, got hooked big time. Sold the XR200 to buy skydiving gear.

Forgot about bikes for a few years till my best friend bought a soopabike. For 3 years it was soopabikes and then I realised it?s the gravel I miss.  So I bought a Africa Twin. Three months later my ex-wife said??its me or your bike?  :shock:

Not difficult to chose. After that I did 58 000km in 3 years. Been there done that. Married the best pillion in the world last year and bought a 1200GS. How happy can a man get? :D  :D

Kev

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 04:39:43 pm »
You so happy you got excited with the post button! Twice!  :lol:  :D

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 04:42:38 pm »
Quote from: "Ama ride ride"
.....I may give up smoking. I may even give up drinking. But I will never give up biking!

.....what bout sex?

I got married...so that settles that

Offline Butch

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 05:01:51 pm »
Quote from: "BlouVark"
the most fun you can have with your pants on :lol:

No way  :shock:  Are you saying biking is even better with your pants off?

As for being an addict - I'm not. I can stop anytime I want to. It's just that I don't want to stop right now. Same with smoking, and drinking, and sex, and...

:D  :D  :D
Live and let live.

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 07:44:44 am »
Hi Butch, I recognise that Avatar from the Calabash .....Am I right or am I right?
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Butch

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 01:53:42 pm »
Quote from: "Clockwork Orange"
Hi Butch, I recognise that Avatar from the Calabash .....Am I right or am I right?

For sure. Pitty you can't see the "Speed kills" message clearly in the avatar. Had to chuckle when I was it.
Live and let live.