Newbie 1999 XRV750 aka Night Fury (Toothless)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR500
Good day, just a quick introduction.

Herman here, a newbie from Pretoria.
New to the group/family and first post (trying to figure out the workings of the forum, so do not crucify me just yet...)

Short background on the cycles, not much, but lekker:
1) Learn to ride on Honda 1981 XL500S (the grey one).
2) Driving away from cops on a Yamaha DT50 (pre-learners early school days) (pink one).
3) Went through puberty on a Suzuki RGT 125 (pink and blue) (learners / school days). (A bike I still want to secure in the coming years...still dreaming of her more than I should)...
4) A couple of years on BMW GS F800 hiding from cops (expired learners days) (burnt orange one, but not much love or connection there).

After a lengthy search, I finally secured the motorcycle I was admiring since my school days.
Someones old lady is my new girlfriend..... a very well maintained XRV750 1999.
Paid R20K more than my wife think I paid, so all happiness....
Had a short 50km drive to seal the initial bond.
Paperwork underway, should be on my name in the next day, if not already....
Now, time for deep cleaning,valve clearance checks, general "pre-flight inspections", bit of replacement parts back to "original state", but what a pleasure to work and admire a very well maintained twin.
Definitely worth the extra buffalos upfront....

Real appreciation for the simplicity of these AT's!
Currently spending more time admiring her than working or riding her but that will change soon......or will it!???
The kids named her "Light fury (toothless)" I guess their first impression/resemblance/lookalike.... so I guess this will be her new name.

Looking forward to share the progress and hopefully a short adventure or two in the near future to establish a bit of confidence in the "light fury" before we tackle some serious adventures....

Just a pic or 5 for now....

And yes, there is a couple of XL500S 1981 parts and plastics laying around in the background (a nostalgic restoration project in progress..... the bike sealed introduced me to 2-wheelers. What a money pit this one is, but will be all worth it when finished)....

Attachments

• WDP1 (1).jpg
    WDP1 (1).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • WDP1 (2).jpg
    WDP1 (2).jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • WDP1 (3).jpg
    WDP1 (3).jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • WDP1 (5).jpg
    WDP1 (5).jpg