Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice needed Honda CTX 200 / Yamaha TW 200  (Read 1320 times)

Offline G Steyn

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
Advice needed Honda CTX 200 / Yamaha TW 200
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:37:47 pm »
Hi all.

My wife is looking at getting in to the Adventure biking thing.

She has a Honda CTX200 in mind as her "beginner bike". She has a LOT of pillion experience, but very little rider experience.

She is looking at something that is reliable, small enough not to intimidate her, and also roadworthy.

Are there any OTHER models out there that we should/could consider? Budget is R20k max to start with.

We stay on a farm, so she will be learning on the dirt roads first, then move to the rest later. If she decides she likes the idea, I'd gladly get her something newer/faster/stronger.......
True LOVE is when you love someone nearly as much as your bike !!!!

Offline lecap

Re: Advice needed Honda CTX 200 / Yamaha TW 200
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 07:37:40 am »
I)f it's between the CTX200 and the TW200 I'd recommend the Suzuki DR200SE :evil6:

Things might look differently if it comes to a farm bike but as a DS the DR IMHO comes first and then there is nothing for quite some time before the Honda and the Yamaha follow.

The DR200 is very light (108kg), very low (Mrs Le Cap flat footed hers, she's 1.67m) and it's very capable even in technical terrain. It's got engine performance (if you can call it that at claimed 20HP) which leaves both the Honda and the Yamaha in a dust cloud and it's got reasonable suspension performance, something the TW200 is only dreaming about ::) On top of that it comes with a well sized tank, it's very easy & cheap to maintain and it lasts very well and is of very good build quality.

R20k should get you one which is not too old, with relatively low mileage and in good condition.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:43:21 am »
Agree, I had a DR200 and even took a pillionb with me when I toured the Cape peninsulla and surrounds. Very strong bike, mine was a 2006 model and I sold her for R16K

Very light and fair suspention like Le Cap said

CTX feels like a jeep and the TW looks cute to some (not me) but that's where it stops

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:33 pm »
Please not the TW200..  :eek7:

My choice would be the CRF230 all day long, and they come in under R20k
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:12:42 pm »
Suzuki DR 200! My wife loves them! She is considering going back to one from her Suzuki DR 250 Djebel! She prefers the lower, lighter bike, although it's slower!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline SlowMo

• Bike: Honda CTX200
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 12:06:14 am »
I owned both a DR and CTX 200. Nice bikes. Again its much of a muchness - these bikes are so close in nature that it's neither here nor there. I did little mileage on the Suzuki but did over 25000km on the CTX and I fell in love with the bike.

The only gripe I had with the Suzuki was that you could plough with the gearing. Pull away in second gear is standard and with a bit of clutch slipping you can pull away in 3rd... a little rediculous. But I guess that is an easy fix. Buy the bike on Friday, new sprocket on Saturday...

Can never go wrong with the CTX and at 20k you should be able to get a spotlless one.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:07:48 am by SlowMo »

Offline lecap

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 10:44:22 am »
I owned both a DR and CTX 200. Nice bikes. Again its much of a muchness - these bikes are so close in nature that it's neither here nor there. I did little mileage on the Suzuki but did over 25000km on the CTX and I fell in love with the bike.

The only gripe I had with the Suzuki was that you could plough with the gearing. Pull away in second gear is standard and with a bit of clutch slipping you can pull away in 3rd... a little rediculous. But I guess that is an easy fix. Buy the bike on Friday, new sprocket on Saturday...

Can never go wrong with the CTX and at 20k you should be able to get a spotlless one.

The current South African DR200 is some Agri shite. (I guess SlowMo had this one) It has hideous mud flaps, two side stands, a totally redundant oil cooler (unless you're a farmer maybe ??? ) and some crash bars with enough aesthetic appeal to make you puke. It also comes with the mentioned weird gearing which does not really make sense at all since the bike climbs like a goat with the DS gearing as featured on the DR200SE and Djebel 200.

Everything on the Agri converts fairly quickly to a usable DS standard. The one and only thing you unfortunately have to live with are the cheapish chromed steel rims (the proper DS versions and the Djebel came with more stylish aluminium rims). Mud flaps and crash bars are best thrown into the garbage. We never managed to break more than a clutch or brake lever on our Djebel. I am not entirely sure if you can only replace the sprockets or if you will need a new chain too.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 11:05:17 am »
My wife has a 2011 DR 200 SE, with 3000 kms on the clock. The standard sprockets are 12/47. The DS and Djebel run 15/45. I fitted a 15 front sprocket. Had to lengten the chain slightly. Maybe more due to the 120 T63 I fitted!

Regarding the mud flaps and oil cooler. The front flap blocks a lot a cooling air over the motor! Maybe the reason for the cooler installation?

I cut the plastic part of the front mudflap shorter to about 10 cm length. Aids with keeping mud of the motor!

Remember the DR is lighter, motor more powerful, and seat height lower than the CTX!

I have never seen the genuine Agri DR in SA. (2 sidestands and metal hand guards.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE