Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW to recall 50 000 bikes for potential fuel leak in USA - Does it affect us?  (Read 11167 times)

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
But I thought the 1200 is an Enduro?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline TheBear

AMZ, your questions are fair. Problem is that the media releases from BM do not support your questions. If that is the case, they can mos clearly state that they are investigating the scope of this problem. Thats what responsible and caring businesses do.

Your question are valid, but i dont think its echoed by BM, especially given their prior denials? Do you think?

As far as I am aware BMW SA has not made any media releases yet.   It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks,  or months.....  or never.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
AMZ I really hope that BMW does not tell you that one day when something on your bike does go...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline KtmMick

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
I  somehow wonder how the BMWs got so popular after the long way round because they had many problems with the rear suspension and I believe that is still true to this day........if everyone complained I am sure things would change but that doesn't happen.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
Guys cool it and stay on topic

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
I battle with guys linking their persona to a brand of motorcycle and then considering a jibe about their chosen personality bike as a personal insult. No brands gives a shit about you and are big enough to defend themselves if they so choose. I happen to own two KTM's at the moment but I don't give a shit what about anybody thinks of the brand.

My needs fit into a niche that the big Jap brands are not interested to invest in, and so I accept I have to live with the slightly unreliable Euro stuff. If I was to go on a long tour to inhospitable places I would put my faith in the big four brands.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline Herby

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
Read about this problem on some website about 2 years ago Done my own mod to assist the Hella plastics That plastic fuel quick coupler can also snap I ride with a spare under seat The spider on the rear disc cracked right through on two of the five mounting points Not a BMW problem, sorry you dont service the bike with us so no goodwill Pay R3890 for a replacement(now with a different part number)
Front spokes loosens Sorry we dont work on those Send to expert in Joburg for repair $$$$
I dont do gravel with this bike Been riding a KLR for the past 10 years for that purpose

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
Crap deleted.

Right that's enough girls.
If you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread, move right along and go play in Jou Ma.
Thanks.

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
I'd really love to see if we can get info on what exactly the recall-repair will do.....
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline kwassi

Re:
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2014, 09:12:52 pm »
Ja maybe we can do a pooratech version of it
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Offline heypaleface

• Bike: BMW F800GS
Good morning gentlemen sorry to respond so late I have a solution for the flange leak I have had a couple of them coming  through the door of my previous dealership
I have had approximately 10 incidents where I have seen the flange leaking over the past few years I have developed a ring for the flange and even if it is leaking the ring stops the problem you can also use it as preventative maintenance contact me on 0721523229 if you need assistance 

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Good morning gentlemen sorry to respond so late I have a solution for the flange leak I have had a couple of them coming  through the door of my previous dealership
I have had approximately 10 incidents where I have seen the flange leaking over the past few years I have developed a ring for the flange and even if it is leaking the ring stops the problem you can also use it as preventative maintenance contact me on 0721523229 if you need assistance 

Great first post - extending a helping hand  :thumleft:
Pics of the fix would be great.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!

Does it looks like this?

Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline buddywp

• Think outside the box
Before I carry on let it be known that I am a BMW fanatic when it comes to the 2 wheel machines!  Recently I had my R 1200 RT, 2005 model serviced for it's 50 000 km service. The feul gauge monitor device in the tank also needed replacing as it went dud shortly before I took it for the service. On completion at the BMW dealer I road the bike home over a distance of approximately 200 km.  The next morning I discovered that the bike had a feul leak and contacted the dealer.  Long story short - they sent out a mechanic and had the bike recovered and the problem fixed at no cost. The service received from them was as expected.
I thought at the time that I was an isolated case but not 2 weeks later I read in a News 24 article that BMW America had 50 000 BMW bikes recalled for the exact same reason my bike developed it's feul leak. This is a known situation to BMW SA that this problem does exist and that most BMW models are affected within the 2005 - 2011 model range. There is a small possibility that bikes in this year model range can develop this problem.  According to te article the situation was rectified on models after the year 2011.
I am posting this to make everyone aware of the fact and be well informed. Thanks.   
Buddy

Offline TheBear

Before I carry on let it be known that I am a BMW fanatic when it comes to the 2 wheel machines!  Recently I had my R 1200 RT, 2005 model serviced for it's 50 000 km service. The feul gauge monitor device in the tank also needed replacing as it went dud shortly before I took it for the service. On completion at the BMW dealer I road the bike home over a distance of approximately 200 km.  The next morning I discovered that the bike had a feul leak and contacted the dealer.  Long story short - they sent out a mechanic and had the bike recovered and the problem fixed at no cost. The service received from them was as expected.
I thought at the time that I was an isolated case but not 2 weeks later I read in a News 24 article that BMW America had 50 000 BMW bikes recalled for the exact same reason my bike developed it's feul leak. This is a known situation to BMW SA that this problem does exist and that most BMW models are affected within the 2005 - 2011 model range. There is a small possibility that bikes in this year model range can develop this problem.  According to te article the situation was rectified on models after the year 2011.
I am posting this to make everyone aware of the fact and be well informed. Thanks.   

I doubt that your fuel leak was related to this recall.  I may be, but since they replaced your fuel strip the day the leak started, my guess is that the mechanic who replaced the fuel strip on your bike, twisted the O-ring that seals the "cap" that they removed to replace the fuel strip.   This "cap" contains the flange that is responsible for the recall, as well as the contact plug for the fuel strip.  It is almost like a bigger canned fruit bottle cap.  A bit of a silly design as it screws down on the 0-ring and can easily cause the O-ring to twist and leak.   
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline lecap

AMZ, your questions are fair. Problem is that the media releases from BM do not support your questions. If that is the case, they can mos clearly state that they are investigating the scope of this problem. Thats what responsible and caring businesses do.

Your question are valid, but i dont think its echoed by BM, especially given their prior denials? Do you think?

As far as I am aware BMW SA has not made any media releases yet.   It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks,  or months.....  or never.

BMW dudes in the conference room:

"We have a situation there in the US of A: Someone may have one of those nasty little fuel leaks and might be suing our valued back sides off claiming to be traumatised for life by some petrol on his pants."
"What are we going to do?"
"Recall al affected bikes and fix them for free. That's cheaper than a law suit."
"What about South Africa?"
"Ah screw he South Africans. They will bitch on the WD forum for three days and then revert to singing the usual hosanna BMW hosanna."

:evil6:

The motor vehicle manufacturers may get ordered to issue recalls in the USA. They sometimes will recall proactively to prevent the bad publicity connected to a recall order.
Down here? I don't think so :-\ If you're lucky they will fix for free.

Unless they get enough bad publicity and complaints to make a recall less damaging than the head in the sand approach :-\
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Hitman

+1  :thumleft:
Did some nice distance after the HP2 gathering at Koedoeskloof in Dec' 13 - Tankwa, Oasis back to Gouda.
Sunday, 29-12 I leave for CT. As I leave Gouda, there it is: the smell of petrol!!
Discovered the flange leaking on Monday morning.
Back at home, the BMW techie new exactly what was wrong when I merely mentioned fuel leak!
Honda MBX 50 "sold"
Yamaha XT 250 "sold"
Bajaj XCD 125
BMW 1200 GS

Offline lecap

I stand corrected.

It was 12 days and four pages.

Hosanna BMW hosanna!

:evil6:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC

+1  :thumleft:
Did some nice distance after the HP2 gathering at Koedoeskloof in Dec' 13 - Tankwa, Oasis back to Gouda.
Sunday, 29-12 I leave for CT. As I leave Gouda, there it is: the smell of petrol!!
Discovered the flange leaking on Monday morning.
Back at home, the BMW techie new exactly what was wrong when I merely mentioned fuel leak!

And was it done as a recall/warranty fix???
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Mark62

• Mark
Hi
I just had my bike serviced and told them about this problem on my 2008 Adv with 11000km on
they fixed it as a recall...
If you ask they have to...
BMW  1200  GS Adventure 2014                                       4000km so far +10999km
BMW    650  X    Challenge 2013                                       8000km Sold
Yamaha 660 Z Tenere my first Bike 2010                    47000km Sold
VW 1970 WESTFALIA