Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2014 Amageza Cross-Country Rallye - build up thread  (Read 103651 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: 2014 Amageza Rallye
« Reply #200 on: March 13, 2014, 06:42:37 pm »
:peepwall:

What's a "shoestring budget"?

No, its when you sell your shoes and strings to get there. ;D

Manny Luchesse from Italy is this young guy who did the Dakar on a shoestring budget. He paid the entry fee and managed to somehow bum everything else including spare tyres, his flight the works.

Bumming stuff is one thing but this guy took it to the ultimate level
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:44:05 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2014, 09:20:50 am »
What GPS is best for Amageza - or what would options be? I know for Roof the guys use Fortrex and ETrex.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2014, 09:25:10 am »
What GPS is best for Amageza - or what would options be? I know for Roof the guys use Fortrex and ETrex.

There's best and cheapest. Purely for the Amageza that may coincide - current wisdom seems to be new Etrex 20/30. Montana is a brilliant device and will have wider application, but is bigger and more expensive.

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2014, 10:07:25 am »
We prefer the eTrex. Personally I prefer the eTrex 10.

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2014, 10:17:19 am »
I bought a GPSmap 62s and love it, had an etrex Venture HC with as a spare
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2014, 10:31:29 am »
I have a Zumo 660 for my DS bikes - is this overkill - over-tech for Amageza? Guess vulnerable too?  I need to get a GPS for my son for Roof anyway so guess eTrex.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2014, 10:52:15 am »
I have a Zumo 660 for my DS bikes - is this overkill - over-tech for Amageza? Guess vulnerable too?  I need to get a GPS for my son for Roof anyway so guess eTrex.
It would work for the race (Alex - confirm?) but I would be worried about breaking it to be honest.

Seriously you have no idea how hard everything will work in an event like this, with pretty much everything go with the solution that is simple and hard as f*ark to break

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2014, 11:24:53 am »
I have a Zumo 660 for my DS bikes - is this overkill - over-tech for Amageza? Guess vulnerable too?  I need to get a GPS for my son for Roof anyway so guess eTrex.
It would work for the race (Alex - confirm?) but I would be worried about breaking it to be honest.

Seriously you have no idea how hard everything will work in an event like this, with pretty much everything go with the solution that is simple and hard as f*ark to break

Ja I hear you - bulletproof as much as possible  :thumleft:  And thinking some more NO -  the Zumo will be a pain with dust etc as is a touch screen.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:26:40 am by BiG DoM »

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2014, 11:32:11 am »

Ja I hear you - bulletproof as much as possible  :thumleft:  And thinking some more NO -  the Zumo will be a pain with dust etc as is a touch screen.
Tis the only way

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2014, 07:21:45 am »
Seeing that the successful outcome of your race relies so much on the working of your GPS, two might not be a bad idea if you don't have a robust unit. Its even possible to install a program like GPS Essentials on your Android phone, and have that record your track as well during the stage.

The perfect option would be a GPS mounted central on your handlebar. This is the most protected place on a bike.

Then have another device displaying your heading.

I have had a Trail-tech Voyager installed on my 450 project bike for the last three weeks, and I'm mighty impressed. It gives you a lot of data, but GPS heading and recording of the track are two. Its mounted on my handlebar and was developed for use on a off-road bike, so it has the best chance of not packing up. Also has a backup battery with a 8 hour range. Get the manual online. Good toilet reading.

So I'm only mounting the Roadbook reader and ICO in line of sight. Once I hit a turn on the road-book, I glance down, verify the cap, and continue on my merry way.

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2014, 08:03:09 am »
Seeing that the successful outcome of your race relies so much on the working of your GPS, two might not be a bad idea if you don't have a robust unit. Its even possible to install a program like GPS Essentials on your Android phone, and have that record your track as well during the stage.

The perfect option would be a GPS mounted central on your handlebar. This is the most protected place on a bike.

Then have another device displaying your heading.

I have had a Trail-tech Voyager installed on my 450 project bike for the last three weeks, and I'm mighty impressed. It gives you a lot of data, but GPS heading and recording of the track are two. Its mounted on my handlebar and was developed for use on a off-road bike, so it has the best chance of not packing up. Also has a backup battery with a 8 hour range. Get the manual online. Good toilet reading.

So I'm only mounting the Roadbook reader and ICO in line of sight. Once I hit a turn on the road-book, I glance down, verify the cap, and continue on my merry way.
I was planning to use my polar RC3GPS heart rate monitor this year cause of its size and accuracy

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2014, 08:06:42 am »

This is how hard the Amageza is, according to camelman  :peepwall: :peepwall: :peepwall:

" To put it into perspective:
I once did the 2013 Amageza Day 2 SS and half of Day 3 SS with my wife, two full panniers, a top-box, tank-bag, and 10 litres of extra fuel on a KTM 950 Adventure. "

So, as you can see, the problem is that you'll have no space for a Zumo  ;)
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2014, 08:32:43 am »

This is how hard the Amageza is, according to camelman  :peepwall: :peepwall: :peepwall:

I once did the 2013 Amageza Day 2 SS and half of Day 3 SS with my wife, two full panniers, a top-box, tank-bag, and 10 litres of extra fuel on a KTM 950 Adventure. "

unless I mount it on top of the kitchen sink?  8) 

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2014, 12:44:18 pm »

I did'nt say it took us four days and a almost a divorce...  ;D

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2014, 09:05:15 pm »
Something for the traffic!

Big thanks to WayneH for making this happen!

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Fortune favors the brave
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2014, 08:21:01 am »
That looks cool !!  :thumleft:
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

KTM 450RR

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2014, 09:08:07 am »
Something for the traffic!

Big thanks to WayneH for making this happen!

I would have thought after last year's Chinese effort that you would get vehicles that would last in the Kalahari.  Think Ford F250...

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2014, 09:47:02 am »
Ai. Me and my Chinese car are still fighting it out. Still broken in the garage. They sent a chair in stead of the part. Ai f@k tog.  :'(

But, the Jeep reccied the whole of last year's stage. Slow but steady. Day 3's stage of last year took me three days, and two sleepovers under the stars. Biggest worry was if I had enough meat to braai every evening! Only saw one 4x4 in all of that time.

If I could get my hands on that Ford F250 though. Haibo.  ;D

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2014, 06:26:44 am »
Quick update:

Seems we will be getting out Motorsport SA permit issued in this week. I have managed to figure out how to get non-road registered bikes entered as well, and will let you know as soon as I have the signed document from government for the exemption.

This means bike like Honda CRF 450 and quads are likely to be able to enter as well for the rally but not the Adventure. The latter is still for road-legal bikes only as the route varies slightly.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2014, 06:32:34 am »
Meanwhile guys have specifically been choosing and investing in road legal bikes ... avoiding the plastics.  ::)  This also does fit the Dakar analogy IMHO. No offence but shifting the goal posts may make some happy but piss others off.