Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike shops not what they use to be  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re: Bike shops not what they use to be
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 10:34:59 am »
When we talk about Bike Shops, my experience so far with them is, the guys working there, the Salesman or Parts Salesman, if they dont ride bike themselves, you are stuffed.

One must have a passion for bikes. Then go work there. My opinion, a Car salesman cant sell bikes. You pick it up the moment you talk to him. He doesnt have that vibe, that lekker vibe that wants you to buy this bike NOW.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 11:06:15 am »
When we talk about Bike Shops, my experience so far with them is, the guys working there, the Salesman or Parts Salesman, if they dont ride bike themselves, you are stuffed.

One must have a passion for bikes. Then go work there. My opinion, a Car salesman cant sell bikes. You pick it up the moment you talk to him. He doesnt have that vibe, that lekker vibe that wants you to buy this bike NOW.

My experience is different.

The spares guys at the bike shops I mentioned in my earlier post are all middle aged guys, namely Raven, Singh and Roy, none of whom have ever probably ridden a bike in their lives. They are good because they have been in the industry for years and years and know the business.

The wet behind the ears bike enthusiast who is only working there because he "smaaks being around boneys all day" is the one to avoid.

IMHO  :biggrin:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline manta

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Reborn on the forum as Manta
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 11:19:25 am »
I must say I have found Cayenne to be very efficient. They run the shop like a business (shocker) and are looking after their customers.

My experiences with them have been so good that should I need another bike I will look them up.

If we are talking about useless - A certain Suzuki dealership (Centurion) comes to mind.

M
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:20:24 am by manta »

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • GS Boer
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 11:34:36 am »
Got S.H.A.F.T.E.D really bad at Race Preparations in Pta recently.

A job that was quoted at R1600 turned out to be R4400 in the end. The owner assured me that he could lace and true GS rims and that he's done loads of them. Long story short, well he couldn't. After F@&*ing up half of the spokes he admitted that the job was beyond him, so it was sourced out  to a pro.

Got the bike back and realized that they buggered up the speedo drive. The sad thing is that after the bad experience I had with them I won't take my bike back there for them to try and sort it out.

The problem is that they've got your bike in their possession,  and if you do not pay........you do not get your bike.

It all boils down to a wicked combination of ROBBERY and BLACKMAIL. :dousing:  
'07 1200ADV, '04 1150GS,  '08 1200ADV, '06 1200ADV, '05 1200GS, '07 1200ADV, '06 1200GS, '05 650 Dakar

Offline Nomad

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 01:56:35 pm »
I must say I have found Cayenne to be very efficient. They run the shop like a business (shocker) and are looking after their customers.

My experiences with them have been so good that should I need another bike I will look them up.

If we are talking about useless - A certain Suzuki dealership (Centurion) comes to mind.

M

I think we are talking about the same dealership. Bugger ripped me off when i dropped my bike off for a quote. Was told it would cost R 300 for a quote. When a picked it up the a#@hole charged me R 350 . Gave me the kakest attitude when i disputed it and ended up just paying the extra to get my bike the hell out of there!

I agree though that there are still a few good bike shops out there. Problem is its getting less and less.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:01:52 pm by Nomad »

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 05:05:15 pm »
Nomad – for your BWS, try phoning Louw at Vespa in Wynburg. They import Malossi parts. We've got two BWSs with the full kit. Service was good and they are still running fine two years later.

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 05:20:16 pm »
Best attitude and service for bike stuff I've had in a while is from Flying Brick in Cape Town.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline Nomad

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 08:07:59 am »
Nomad – for your BWS, try phoning Louw at Vespa in Wynburg. They import Malossi parts. We've got two BWSs with the full kit. Service was good and they are still running fine two years later.

Thanks 2 stroke. will give em a call

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 01:14:02 pm »
And people ask me why I insisted on getting another BMW, its all about service and support

I get enough shit with my RMZ450 and previously with the CRF230 to warrant getting any other brand other than BMW.
Yes it costs more, but 99% of the time you will get stuff sorted and decent service too.

Lets not get started on how we all get ripped off by bike shops as well...
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 02:14:31 pm »
Service??? This is South Africa  :laughing4: :imaposer:  and why we love it. :lol8:

Offline MTK

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 03:06:57 pm »
You think Bike shops are bad....try Boat shops !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2014 ktm 1190 R.1 x KTM 690 R Enduro,1 x Ex KTM990 EFI.. Ex Husaberg 300, 1 x Ex Yamaha R6, Ex KTM 950/ Ex KTM640/ Ex VFR800/Ex KTM250XCW/ Ex KawaKX250/ ExKDX200

Offline lecap

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 08:17:09 am »
... - and, Jupiter, you were unfair  ;) . I think that salesman should be commended for the fact that, even if he was wrong, he made a link to Pharaos and from there to Egypt.

No Jupiter should have just refrained from being a smart arse & talking foreign. If you want a light house book you ask for a light house book. If the sales person then gives you a book about out houses you call him / her whatever you like :lol8:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline EssBee

• Race Dog
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 08:25:21 am »

Adult World has excellent service!

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 08:27:43 am »
This is probably only a coincidence that the best parts service available comes from Jan at Helderberg YAMAHA in Somerset West. This man is the bizz.

I agree with Badseed, Flying Brick is about old-fashioned service, with no airs. Just go and talk to them, you will see. Knowledgable.

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 08:28:38 am »

Adult World has excellent service!

But if youre visiting the back rooms, its still self service  :peepwall:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Online Bensien

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 08:36:42 am »
I buy just about everything from EMD these days. They are willing to go the extra mile and source items that the brand specific bike shops won’t . 

Also learned something new from the guy behind the counter at Midas the other day. Multigrade means that the oil is suitable for both petrol and diesel engines
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 08:41:06 am »
I buy just about everything from EMD these days. They are willing to go the extra mile and source items that the brand specific bike shops won’t . 

Also learned something new from the guy behind the counter at Midas the other day. Multigrade means that the oil is suitable for both petrol and diesel engines

They are pretty good and mostly decently priced, dont buy shims from them though, I learned the hard way by being shafted good and proper

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Dux

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 12:12:09 pm »

Now that is downright scary , and people believe this  :o :o
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Dux

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 12:13:46 pm »
This is probably only a coincidence that the best parts service available comes from Jan at Helderberg YAMAHA in Somerset West. This man is the bizz.

I agree with the statement about Jan , great service and a genuine good guy
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline TriBaldy

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 09:13:15 pm »
I'm very happy with the guys at Northside Motorcycles, consistent quality.