Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wilddog style comparing the XT660Z to the 690 Enduro R.  (Read 15066 times)

Offline Cheeky

• Bike: Ducati Hypermotard
Re: Wilddog style comparing the XT660Z to the 690 Enduro R.
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2014, 11:49:24 pm »
The 690 is indeed the best roadworthy offroad bike by a long margin. Suspension, power and chassis is in a class of it's own.
But this is where it ends, it cannot be compared to KLR, XT-Z, which was built for touring.

It is a common mistake here to want to choose a 650class bike, and throwing the 690 in with the others in this class. The 690 actually belongs to the playbike class, for just like with a 450WR, you can tour if yu want to , but it is hardly meant for touring. The proof is in how few 690 riders actually go far on them.

So despite the thread heading, there is no comparison between them, and not because one is better than the other, but because all the ones shortcomings is the other's strongpoints, and vice versa.

Fuck, how many times are you still going to repeat this?

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2014, 02:12:15 am »
Ous - you are all missing the point. I am working on my reply to this worthy thread but it may be a day or two for me to get there.
Other hectic shit has intervened which requires my attention - In the meantime I hope you go and rides your bikes of choice and stop
squabbling about a meaningless comparison that in the first place was a "non comparo"

XTZ - 690R without getting technical are different things to different people. Hurray for that :laughing4:

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2014, 07:16:21 am »
Rough rider with a name like that blaming the 600E for not being a tourer...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline DirtyHarry

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2014, 07:47:36 am »
Zacapa has got a point.
Go ride your bikes instead of getting on each others nerves.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:47:57 am by DirtyHarry »

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2014, 08:26:46 am »
Rough Rider,

With all due respect, read my post again, I said TOURING suspension, iow when calmly riding through Baviaans or the Sederberge, I actually stated that the suspension was
"woefully inadequate" for Macassar's whoops. Maybe you just missed that in my post but it is there. ;)

If your caliper hit your exhaust on full rear suspension compression, your exhaust is fitted in the wrong position! This much should be obvious!! :eek7: Your suspension should hit NOTHING going through it's full stroke!!

The one point you see as good on the XT, the steel rims, is actually the parts on a XT that is not good, actually cheap and nasty.

I have been riding my XT for a good few years, only one small ding on my front rim. Now either you are much quicker than me on a similar bike, or you do not look too good. :snorting:

Different strokes for different okes, I personally do not ride adventure bikes to smell the roses, or look at them for that matter  :lol8: I ride for the adrenilin rush.

I was being sarcastic about the steel rims  :bueller:

I had the exhaust fitted correctly and I had the correct shock spring fitted for my weight, I also always keep the sag set correctly on all my bikes.

I am certainly not the fastest rider out there but I do try to work on improving my riding skills all the time and I am getting better. Pity age will catch me before I catch Taddy  :ricky:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:58:11 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2014, 11:16:52 am »
So where does this leave a bike like the 640 Adv??

IMO the most complete adventure bike ever built. Niggles and all.

I only put 50 000kms on my 640 but funny enough, apart from a few things rattling loose, it was by far the most reliable bike I've owned. Never needed anything apart from services and a bit of locktite. And like you said, the only adventure bike ever built that has everything you want. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2014, 08:22:21 pm »
The 690 is indeed the best roadworthy offroad bike by a long margin. Suspension, power and chassis is in a class of it's own.
But this is where it ends, it cannot be compared to KLR, XT-Z, which was built for touring.

It is a common mistake here to want to choose a 650class bike, and throwing the 690 in with the others in this class. The 690 actually belongs to the playbike class, for just like with a 450WR, you can tour if yu want to , but it is hardly meant for touring. The proof is in how few 690 riders actually go far on them.

So despite the thread heading, there is no comparison between them, and not because one is better than the other, but because all the ones shortcomings is the other's strongpoints, and vice versa.

Fuck, how many times are you still going to repeat this?

Until you get it into your thick skull. :thumleft:

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2014, 10:37:11 pm »
I sound like the xtz is getting a bit of a verbal hammering.  For me, it really isn't a bad bike at all!  It's jut that at R100 000.00 new I reckon it's way too expensive.  The Aprilia Pegaso sides the yamaha 650 motor,  yet the new price I think is R62 000.00.  It's got adjustable screen very nice for and finish etc.  how can there be such a massive price difference between bikes that use the same motors? 

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2014, 11:02:09 pm »
Everything 2StrokeDan said on this thread is the truth.

I agree with what he said about the 690  :thumleft:

I know........ I've ridden both and own a XTZ.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:31 am »
People seem to think that I am bashing the 690 here, do not think that. Let us look at pricing;

The 690 is a 100grand, and my general idea I get from everybody is that it is just an enduro bike? Or a short-distance commuter? Yet it is not deemed too expensive for this
limited use package?

After the 640, the TEN is the only purpose-built long distance offroad TOURING bike on offer from a major manufacturer. Before you shout KLR, go through the snob comments on this very forum, and ask yourself if you can ride a KLR. It is not called fugly, pooratech, etc because people lust after them. Personally the most underrated bike I think.
Go buy the DR, XR-L, and fit your LR tank and Fairing and racks, it is still a backyard built tourer. IMO very sufficient, but remember, you must pass WD snob scrutineering.

So if you want a purpose-built touring single with parts back-up, reliability and undeniably good looks, and you have the money, pay for the best.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2014, 11:20:42 am »
 :imaposer: This 'praises you will only hear from the Yamaha worship bundle'
What did you do with the verse about kak cush drive rubbers, kak suspension, cracking frames and soft rims  :imaposer:
Nice looking bike but my so called pooratech fugly was a steal for R35K (2010 Low km model) and now with Racetech suspension I ride all over the place and enjoy every moment. I got more trust in the KLR engine than in the 660 and working with a guy with a proven Record of 145000km without anything other to do than general maintenance and the doo which cost under a R1000 bucks. I am not brand conscious or worshipping any brands so any comments with regards to a KLR will not hit any nerve

I wanted to say this earlier: your heading referring to Willddog style - you are a proud Wild Dog Yeah? I am!! :laughing4:
I was just wondering; do you expect all Wilddogs to agree on all you sentiment? Do families do agree just because the stubborn dad sometimes makes them to see through his eyes? NO they don't  :deal:

I told you earlier; it would be rather nice if you use your energy on the Wild dog site to share some of your mechanical experience like Le Cap is doing as a rather respectable contributor. You should have a lot to offer not true rather than this BS Debates  ???

:snorting:

So maybe its time to move on now  :lol8:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2014, 11:33:54 am »
:imaposer: This 'praises you will only hear from the Yamaha worship bundle'
What did you do with the verse about kak cush drive rubbers, kak suspension, cracking frames and soft rims  :imaposer:
Nice looking bike but my so called pooratech fugly was a steal for R35K (2010 Low km model) and now with Racetech suspension I ride all over the place and enjoy every moment. I got more trust in the KLR engine than in the 660 and working with a guy with a proven Record of 145000km without anything other to do than general maintenance and the doo which cost under a R1000 bucks. I am not brand conscious or worshipping any brands so any comments with regards to a KLR will not hit any nerve

I wanted to say this earlier: your heading referring to Willddog style - you are a proud Wild Dog Yeah? I am!! :laughing4:
I was just wondering; do you expect all Wilddogs to agree on all you sentiment? Do families do agree just because the stubborn dad sometimes makes them to see through his eyes? NO they don't  :deal:

I told you earlier; it would be rather nice if you use your energy on the Wild dog site to share some of your mechanical experience like Le Cap is doing as a rather respectable contributor. You should have a lot to offer not true rather than this BS Debates  ???

:snorting:

So maybe its time to move on now  :lol8:

When one of the parties in a debate runs out of debating skills, they would love to see it time to move on.

Take a look around, I have always come up for KLR's, they are the best value for money tourers out there. Why are they so looked down upon by many though, when they
are very capable, economical, with all touring stuff factory fitted?
It really seems on this forum that the KLR is a bike to ride after dark, something to be ashamed of, I do not understand this sentiment around such a capable bike.
But it is fact that this motorcycle "snobbism" exists, and this unfortunately gives the trendy XT-Z reason to sell at R100 000.

Or perhaps buy a R100000 bicycle from Ettiene2T. :ricky:

Offline dirtyXT

Re:
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2014, 12:55:20 pm »
seems like TVB has an axe to grind. I'm enjoying hearing the banter around this from everyone. dont agree with some of it but guess that what makes the world interesting. different view points.  stay on point gents!
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2014, 01:17:44 pm »
When you put the XTZ in the 650 d/s tourer class, you open it up for much competition. Some cheap, some not, some air cool, some water cool. Many bikes fit that mould. The best pne for you will depend on your wallet and your definition of d/s touring.

Thats what makes the 690 unique. Apart from the XR 650r it doesn't really fit the above class.  Only Honda and KTM operates in that class. The rest are all tourers - yamaha included.

Not my cup of tea. These kind of enduro style bikes i prefer in smaller packages. But viva for diversity  :thumleft:

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2014, 02:14:53 pm »
Perhaps  TVB rides his axe (chopper) to much.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2014, 02:23:22 pm »
I don't get the argument about the XTZ not being the only commercially available off road touring bike available at the moment. The 640 (best of its class ever) is the only other bike  available (2nd hand only).

The question is how important pure touring is to most of us. For me it's day tides and short tours that my 690 does the bus. DR/XR etc the same. .... But then most Wildogs  need cross continent bikes like GS1200  etc for a little off road sortie.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2014, 04:32:49 pm »
When you put the XTZ in the 650 d/s tourer class, you open it up for much competition. Some cheap, some not, some air cool, some water cool. Many bikes fit that mould. The best pne for you will depend on your wallet and your definition of d/s touring.

Thats what makes the 690 unique. Apart from the XR 650r it doesn't really fit the above class.  Only Honda and KTM operates in that class. The rest are all tourers - yamaha included.

Not my cup of tea. These kind of enduro style bikes i prefer in smaller packages. But viva for diversity  :thumleft:

In the 650 class, there is only two bikes that I would classify under touring bikes. This is the 660 and KLR. Both come equipped to load and haul.
XR-R is long out of production, so cannot feature, and 690 is in a class on the opposite end of touring.

This does not mean you cannot slap a tank, rack and fairing on a DR, XR-L, Sertao, etc and go touring. You can.

So Kilroy, many bikes does not fit the touring mould in the 650 class, in fact, currently, only Yamaha offers a properly designed and thoroughly modern touring bike in the 650 class.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2014, 04:58:47 pm »
I respectfully disagree.  Many bikes in this class is and was ideally suited for d/s touring . Some with many and some with few modifications necessary.

Most bikes touring Africa, Australia and the Americas are exactly that. From Dakars, DRs, XRs, Klrs, etc to TA 650 with its 21 inch spoked wheels. Most d/s bikes in this class are exactly that.

As i said, as evidence just search for okes d/s touring the world. No better example and evidence as that.  Your beloved XTZ is however a great bike and 100% suited for this application too. But you must be naive to think d/s touring in the 650 class is only reserved for yamahas?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2014, 05:53:42 pm »
I respectfully disagree.  Many bikes in this class is and was ideally suited for d/s touring . Some with many and some with few modifications necessary.

Most bikes touring Africa, Australia and the Americas are exactly that. From Dakars, DRs, XRs, Klrs, etc to TA 650 with its 21 inch spoked wheels. Most d/s bikes in this class are exactly that.

As i said, as evidence just search for okes d/s touring the world. No better example and evidence as that.  Your beloved XTZ is however a great bike and 100% suited for this application too. But you must be naive to think d/s touring in the 650 class is only reserved for yamahas?

Do not twist my words, you're not in R+P now. :pot:

Yamaha builds the only modern, newly-designed 650class single touring bike. Fact. The other proper touring bike in this class, the KLR, is a continuation of a model that started in the early 90's. Can hardly expect them to cost the same. Just like the 1200GS WC does not cost the same as the aircooled only 1200GS. New designs, new tooling, etc.
A Frenschman toured through Africa on Yamaha R1, so yes, you can indeed tour on anything, just like you can use your hatchback car as a small bakkie.
But there is better tools out there, and if you wish to tour with a 650class single, the XT-Z is the best.
Buy, load, haul.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2014, 07:53:53 pm »
Go and check what okes doing RTW d/s trips ride.  Thats surely the best example of d/s touring? Dont believe me - check the facts.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:54:39 pm by KiLRoy »