Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Zambia and DRC  (Read 1596 times)

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Zambia and DRC
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:54:14 am »
Hi all

I just got a new job and i will be travelling for work to DRC and zambia. I will have transport and local support ( translator, locals, etc). But from experianced people here what can one expect? And what is must see places?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Zambia and DRC
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:40:34 pm »
Where abouts in Zambia and DRC? they are both very big countries.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:08:12 pm »
Where abouts in Zambia and DRC? they are both very big countries.

DRC, I am going to Kinshasha.

Zambia is places like chililabombwe, Lusaka and most of Zambia.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:31:31 pm »
Kinshasa is a bit of a hole. Don't go for a walk after dark. French is Linga Franca, so interpreter is a must. I visited Kinshasa many times, usually in transit to other places, and I didn't like it at all. Dirty, and I felt really unsafe. I once saw some cops shoot a guy on the side of the street with their AK's. Happened on road between airport and hotel. Told driver to go like blazes!

Hotels charge in US$, and they are not shy to charge. Easy pay $300 for a night in a really shoddy hotel. And food isn't cheap either, unless you eat from the local places.

The Congo river has some cruises that you can go on, and the fishing isn't too bad if you are a bit away from the city. Wildlife is virtually non-existent, all been killed in poaching during civil war. You can't get very far from Lusaka, mainly because roads are so bad. Flying is pretty much only way to get around, but some of the local "airlines" are dodge to say the least. I remember a couple of years ago one crashed because a crocodile got loose from some guy's baggage! I actually flew with the pilot that died in that crash.

Zambia... so much to do and see there! Lusaka is lekker, there are malls that have all the usual SA shops, and some of the fast food outlets too. Rhapsody's has good food.

West of Lusaka, about a 2-3 hour drive is the Kafue National park, I've seen lion and ellies there, as well as all the lesser antelope etc. About another 3 hours west is Mongu, on the Zambezi. Steeped in history and tradition. Great fishing in the Zambezi for tigers. Head south of Mongu for some excellent tiger lodges etc.

East of Lusaka, more parks, also north-east.

South of Lusaka, a couple of hours drive is Kariba. House-boats heaven! Fishing, birding, game watching. Drink lots of beer to stay hydrated! Mosi lager is good!

About 5 hours south west of Lusaka are the Vic Falls, they speak for themselves.

Driving in Zambia is fine, just lots of police roadblocks abnd check-points. Your SA drivers licence is accepted (SADC). But if you have a prang you are guilty, end of story. So a local driver is a good thing to have. Then you can enjoy even more beers!
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:27:51 am »
Thanks Mr. Zog

luckily, the company will pay for everything  :deal:

Seems Zambia is worth while exploring....so bring on my first trip! :D

Offline Minora

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 09:49:18 am »
Thanks Mr. Zog

Hi Silvrav

I Stayed in Chililabombwe for +- 12 months, and have been commuting up and down on a monthly basis for the past 18 months

While we stayed in Chili, I posted some pictures on the forum you might be interested: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=87331.0

In short: Zambia has really grown on me if there is a possibility that me and my wife can go back for another 12 months, will we be on the first plane out to Ndola

Ek weet nie wat hier aangaan nie, maar dis 'n moerse sukses!!!

Offline Zambezi

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:16:37 pm »
Thanks Mr. Zog

Hi Silvrav

I Stayed in Chililabombwe for +- 12 months, and have been commuting up and down on a monthly basis for the past 18 months

While we stayed in Chili, I posted some pictures on the forum you might be interested: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=87331.0

In short: Zambia has really grown on me if there is a possibility that me and my wife can go back for another 12 months, will we be on the first plane out to Ndola

I can put you in contact with South Africans all over the Southern Part of Zambia. Especially at Sinazongwe Near Kariba. The pic below is where you could stay - 50m from water when Kariba is full.
Tiger 800XCX; 1050 Street Triple R; Yamaha WR250F

Offline silvrav

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 07:11:30 am »
Awesome Zambezi!

Will let you know when I do my first trip to Zambia

First heading to DRC in may then Zambia most likely in July/Aug

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:21:00 am »
I am based in Lusaka.

Zambia is a very lekker place to live and work, it is like South Africa, but without the shit attitude........   ;)

Everything everyone here said about Zambia is correct, it is a great place!

:thumleft: