Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What did go wrong: loose spokes  (Read 2781 times)

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
What did go wrong: loose spokes
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:49:12 pm »
So....

Being cheeky about all these 'issues' and me not having any. Karma: he is a woman.

I have developed two loose spokes. Front wheel. Googling it, it seems not to be a common issue.

And the usual suspects can strike down with serious vengeance...
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: What did go wrong: loose spokes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:07:18 am »
2 of my bike's front wheel is also loose

Offline AntVan

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:33:42 am »
Hmmmm. Dealer (Zambezi) will take a look Thursday. Will post result.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline alwyn_gs

• Gelšnde/Strasse - Knight in White Satin (R1200GSA LC)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • With my loving wife, Michelle - let's do this!!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:42:10 am »
So....

Being cheeky about all these 'issues' and me not having any. Karma: he is a woman Bitch

Fixed...

:imaposer: dis nogal bad.... maar darm nie n ernstige probleem nie...
RR:Sani 2013, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=131550.0, Honeymoon 2014 http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=153612.0
Livinstone Lite 2014, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=162532.0, Om Lesotho 2014, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=168999.0
Skoeters : Knight in White Satin (R1200GSA LC), Military Fuel Tanker (R1200GSA AC 142 690km - decommisioned)
G650XMoto, G650XCountry-pilotted by Michelle

Offline lecap

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:43 am »
Very unusual on those wheels.

Have a close look if you have a very slight bulge in the outer surface of the rim where the spoke runs through. That's from overloading the wheel by whacking something. Sometimes the wheels show this without having any other damages and the spokes aren't even loose.

In any case if you have loose spokes it's a good idea to tighten asap. Be gentle and check if the wheel keeps on running true while you do it. One or two loose spokes will normally not throw a wheel out by a lot (if at all). But it gets worse quickly as the wheel suffers from reduced stability from loose or failed spokes.
This applies to all wire spoke wheels not just the BMW / Akront / Behr TL design. The BMW rims are just much more expensive to fix once they are skew :(
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline AntVan

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:31:10 am »
Very unusual on those wheels.

Have a close look if you have a very slight bulge in the outer surface of the rim where the spoke runs through. That's from overloading the wheel by whacking something. Sometimes the wheels show this without having any other damages and the spokes aren't even loose.

In any case if you have loose spokes it's a good idea to tighten asap. Be gentle and check if the wheel keeps on running true while you do it. One or two loose spokes will normally not throw a wheel out by a lot (if at all). But it gets worse quickly as the wheel suffers from reduced stability from loose or failed spokes.
This applies to all wire spoke wheels not just the BMW / Akront / Behr TL design. The BMW rims are just much more expensive to fix once they are skew :(

Ha ha ha. Mr. Goodnews.  :laughing4:

Thanks, I appreciate your wisdom, will check that. I've booked the bike at the dealer just in case - still under guarantee and I don't want to fiddle with things and then I'm blamed. It's a different story if you are in the bush somewhere, then it's survival. I don't do a lot of gravel during the week so she would have to last until Thursday, and it's really not that bad.

So....

Being cheeky about all these 'issues' and me not having any. Karma: he is a woman Bitch
Fixed...
:laughing4: Yes, that she is, that she is...

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 11:35:06 am »
My two spokes are quite loose, will check for the bulge, thanks LeCap

Offline AntVan

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 05:38:53 pm »
Whoops. The battle of the bulge begins...it's a going to be an insurance claim...

Offline AntVan

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 05:40:19 pm »
I think the lower profile bit me...Perhaps Hildr is softer than I was used to on '05 GS

Offline AntVan

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 07:42:11 am »
Goeie bliksem. Got the quote from BMW and they are not shy to ask money. Now waiting for insurasaurus to okay claim.  If not approved, two things are happening; first I'm going to get very drunk and then I'm going to become very poor.

Offline eikeboom

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 07:47:50 am »
Is the rim damaged?
Let's go into the mountains...there's likely to be peace and quiet

Offline AntVan

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 12:39:49 pm »
Rim is Mike Tango.

Offline Nox

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 02:50:58 pm »
I have bent both my rims 2 weeks ago in lesotho and a frien bent his front only.

Think my rear was bent due to red routes with a pillion.

I discussed this to lenght and i think the new rims in conjunction with the lower profile tyres are not a strong as the pre LC model rims.

I am thinking of using old outer rims with the new hub going forward.

The tyres are cheaper and the profiles on the rims are higher, hence more resistance before they bend.

My 2 cents.

I tried to use a second set of old gs rims i had, the rear works but the front axle is a smaller diameter, hence it will be some admin to get them to work and the traction control wont work as the abs wheel is smaller on the lc. I was happy to live with that, given that my asc and abs is always off.
To Live is Christ - To die is Gain... Fil: 1:21

2013 1200 GS - 2011 KTM 300 - current
2008 1200 GS 2007 XMoto
2006 Kawasaki KDX 200 - current bike 2012 Kawasaki KX 250 2008 Kawasaki ZX 14 2008 Kawasaki ZX 6 2004 BMW 1200 GS Suzuki GSXR 1000 K4 - stuntbike 1994 Honda Fireblade 900 rr - stuntbike 2006 ER6F - stuntbike 2006 Honda TRX 400 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 Green 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 Blue - written off 2006 Kawasaki Z 750 S 1984 BMW R100RS 1992 Yamaha DT 180 1988 Honda MTX 50 1985 Kawasaki

Offline AntVan

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 08:20:31 pm »
http://motorbikewriter.com/advice-riders-new-bmw-r-1200-gs/

Problem? What problem? I'm not convinced....

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:30 am »

Interesting article. I assume you still have the standard tyres on your bike then? Would it help to go to different tyres? And also, with the new tyres being a lower profile, can a higher profile be fitted to help protect the rim?

Offline AntVan

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 02:39:43 pm »
Interesting article. I assume you still have the standard tyres on your bike then? Would it help to go to different tyres? And also, with the new tyres being a lower profile, can a higher profile be fitted to help protect the rim?

The lower mudguard will be a problem. I think the trick is to be aware and take care.

Offline lecap

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 09:32:54 am »

Well you would not hammer a Range Rover Sport or X6 through a 4x4 track? Wide tires & low profile is NOT what you want if the going gets tough.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline AntVan

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 07:48:26 pm »

Well you would not hammer a Range Rover Sport or X6 through a 4x4 track? Wide tires & low profile is NOT what you want if the going gets tough.

True, but...The international GS Trophy is running the K50 this year.

Interesting to see if this is the only REAL problem I have on this bike.

Offline SGB

• 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 08:56:28 pm »
The actual height of the tyre is not much different compared to previous design   From reading reports of damage I suspect the rims on the new bike are weaker.  It is true that wider rims bend easier.  Don't know why they had to go to 120 and 170.  Too wide imo.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline lecap

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 08:19:58 am »

True, but...The international GS Trophy is running the K50 this year.

Interesting to see if this is the only REAL problem I have on this bike.

The GS trophy showcases BMW's latest toy in a big marketing bonanza. It does not mean the K50 is the best tool to get the job done.

If you bend control arms and rims and crack frames I'd say it looks a teeny weeny bit a if you are doing things the bike is not designed to do. Just my opinion :-\