Tank Slapper - Advice needed please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxtar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So, I have a trip coming up this weekend to Sani/Katse so did the honourable thing and fitted a new Anakee Wild yesterday to the 990 Adv front. There had been a slight weave in the bars under acceleration on the old tyre the last while but I put this down to wear and balance so did not bother too much about it. So did the fitment last night of the wheeL and tested this morning... Well, felt fine for a while until I hit the throttle hard to blitz a truck and next moment there was tank slapper of note... SCARY STUFF....! Lifting off the throttle subsided it but this is downright dangerous! The new tyre seems to have amplified the problem to epic proportions....

The tyre is new and balanced so not the issue probably, the head bearings were done a while ago and there is no play or notch in the steering.... all I can think is the fork is needing a serious service as it has not been serviced in many moons.....

Can this be the problem, or can I look elsewhere as this is putting my trip in jeopardy? Any advice would be much appreciated... thanks fella's