R1200GS dies on deceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OomD

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
All of the sudden, today it happened twice, exactly the same steps:

1. Slow down to a left turn corner. Gear down, but not letting out the clutch (slowing down with brakes only). During this the engine is idling.
2. Release clutch, going through corner in 2nd.
3. Pull clutch to go to 3rd (throttle is closed).
4. Bike dies as soon as I pull the clutch.

Weird how it was the exact same sequence both times. Checked out clutch switch, needed slight adjustment (even though the switch itself was fine, pulling the clutch did not make the switch click). This I noticed because the starter wouldn't turn when the bike died (while in gear), had to put it into neutral before I could start again. Anyway,  clutch switch is fine now, but I don't think that caused the stall. That just prevent the restart while in gear.

I almost got the impression the engine died as it was going down to idle RPM because the ECU did not activate the idling mechanism in time, or something like that.

So I was wondering, before starting to chase this possible electrical gremlin, are there any known or common causes of this behaviour where I can look first?