Ride report with a difference: Short and Hard core for the young (at heart)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beserker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Whilst everybody was away Namaqua Rally-ing, the rest of the racing scene was quiet, and we took advantage of the good weather and quiet country side to get some riding done.

Manning up was Seeduiwel and his kid, me and my kids.

We trailered to the camping site, arriving late Saturday afternoon.
Saturday night was spend around the braai, abusing the honesty bar at the campsite, consuming Seeduiwels excelent produce.

The kids, being good buddies,  spent the night catching up on what’s happening.

Sunday Morning, bright and early…not:

Fixing up a fouled sparkplug on the RM saw us to the trail head fairly late, but very eager.

In order to avoid the long, boring (and public road) we trailered the 85’s there, Seeduiwel and Beserkersön I rode the fuel tankers in.  Fuel was carried in soft luggage like bladders.

I must admit, soft luggage on a plastic, on a road frequented by the Dual Sport crowd, caused quite a few stares. Regardles, we had between the lot of us about 95 litres of fun.

Off loading quickly, we started of in a haze of 2T.

Seeduiwel Jnr waiting for the devil himself, with the route leading down the valley in the back ground.

The first stretch, fairly easy, was a joy to ride, great weather and the pace such that I could actually admire the countryside. Having ridden the road countless times, but always at the tail end of a trip and in a hurry, I could for once appreciate the sheer beauty of the place.

Some random pics of the route in to the village that was to be the start of the hard core stretch.

Making it to the “Donkie Plek”, a quick chat with the locals that marveled at the buch of 10 – 12 year olds riding through on their bikes.

Due to the late start, we shot past the turnof to the waterfall,

and rather than taking the regular dip, we opted to make for the first waypoint.

Very quickly the concrete road came into view, with the village nestling at the bottom.

We also had a glimpse of the moutain we intended to cross,

And the trail..

But first a quick stop in the village to refuel body and bike.

Unfortunately the shop was closed, but being prepared, it was no issue and soon we were on our way. A few minutes later, we went through the last bit of civilization,

And came to grips with what we were to face for the next couple of hours,

Steep ascents and decents – the route will definitely rock you, and some more:

Keeping momentum, and making it to the top of the ascents on the first go is crucial. Stopping and getting a small wheel 85 that got stuck going again, is energy sapping.

Fortunately, at age 10-ish, the riders does not have a hang up about hanging of the throttle, and stalls were kept to a minimum.

Some random pics of the route on the way up:

Getting air makes the track go smooth….for a milli second 

A quick water break after the crest, and we started exploring the escarpment area.

Some small cottages dot the landscape,

And Vaalheuning,

Spoke to an old-timer in Langbome -  he reckons the people only stay up here when the come harvest tea.

From what I can see, a lot of the transport is by pack donkey.

Unfortunately, we were running out of fuel, and it was down the mountain again.

A quick stop at the village, the guys were running low on fuel…fortunately mom was involved in the logistics of the trip, and they could dig into a loaded Camelbak.

My youngest, at 10 years old the youngest expedition member “refueling” before the haul back to the Oasis.

A quick stop at the “donkey place”, we supported the local “pad stal”, had some cold drinks.
After some Sparletta and Stoney, the guys were ready to fool around, but a promise of  a plate of ribs at Oasis got them going.

Seeduiwel and me, having skippered the oil tankers all day, felt like a Brannas, so haste were made and no more pics.

Suffice to say, and awesome trip with awesome company.