Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The XR-Fest. Dogs in the Dust..  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Airguitar

• The bald and the beautiful
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
The XR-Fest. Dogs in the Dust..
« on: June 23, 2014, 03:03:38 am »

While this ride was called the XR-Fest it was by no means limited to red thumpers as you will soon see.
It was a most excellent bunch of guys and a girl riding pillion who met at Bapsfontein Market. I'm pretty sure that's not what the place is called, but that's what I called it and everyone found it, so there.

The days riding began with cups of coffee provided FREE by the kind people at The Village Kitchen Mike and his lady are great folk who have a lot of involvement in the offroad riding community, giving of their time, energy and most importantly their hot coffee on cold winter mornings. Now as I quickly learned, the Dogs are a gregarious, generous bunch, so a collection was quickly taken up and we compensated the Village Kitchen for their unsolicited kindness.

Now I am a bit kak with names and sometimes even forget my own name, so please help me out here guys who were there!!

We enjoyed a great turnout of Honda XR's (Of course) ranging from a lone XR500RE, to 600R's and 650L's.

Woody was on his magnificent XL600 and his son was on a XT Super Tenere.

Then we enjoyed the company of the Orange brigade. 3 Katooms came along.

XT's, DR's and a BMW F650GS complete with rider and his Pillion Poppie who stuck with us all the way to Red Star.

An old school buddy, Hamish was the rear guard on his Triumph 800 Tiger. He has some great foties to contribute too!!

I have begun writing this report while the photos are still uploading to Google. (There are 1300 photos!!) So, this will take some time.

Enjoy the show!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:19:51 am by Airguitar »
1988 XR600R, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Volvo XC90. Yes I drive a Volvo. No, I don't care what you think.

Offline Goatman

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: The XR-Fest. Dogs in the Dust..
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:05:24 am »
 :sip:
Ride it like you stole it!!!

Offline Airguitar

• My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 08:27:24 am »
It's not easy to get a bunch of dogs together for a pic when all they wanna do is ride. The free coffee sure helped. ;D

Now the first section of the ride was recorded in the form of a video. This will take some time for me to edit and upload so please bear with me at I bypass that for now. I'll upload that in short snatches to make viewing and writing more simple.
We set off at 09h00 as planned with coffee in our bellies and itchy throttle fingers.. The route took us down the Delmas road (R50) until under the railway bridge, but not before stopping to pick up one stray dog at the petrol station before taking one of the sections of tar before finding our true meaning of existence on the big dirt roar pointing to the north. I must confess to taking the wrong road, but it worked out for the better.

I was out front "Leading the way", along with Kevin_ZA on his mighty KTM. He could easily have pulled out in front but kept his forays on the throttle to short bursts, blasting him out ahead by 50 meters, then easing off for us to catch up. Speaking of catching, Catchy was no slouch on the throttle either and was often in the corner of my eye as well. He too would have given more gas, but we kept the speed at an average 100km/h.
The road itself is a wide, fast, straight road, so throttles were opened, grins were widened, and dust was generated.
I'll insert the video clip HERE when time allows.

We got to T-junction at the end of that road and waited for the group to arrive.

This pic is a GIF with motion so please give it time to load..

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:28:37 am by Airguitar »
1988 XR600R, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Volvo XC90. Yes I drive a Volvo. No, I don't care what you think.

Offline troos

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 08:28:24 am »

Offline Airguitar

• My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 08:31:20 am »
One more of the waiting.. Some okes just can't sit still!

Wait for the gif to load..

After letting the sun warm us up a bit we got ready to move on. About 1km to the east was the next road that took us north again and closer to Bronkhorstspruit Dam.

The same combo were up front. This road has a few more curves in it. Grins went even wider.

I was using the whole road, and at some stage I wondered if I wasn't swiping Kevin but when I asked him about it he assured me all was fine. What a Gent!!
This time you'll see from the pics how Kevin was giving the throttle what it wanted. That 1190 is woes!

We did enjoy this section and the curves had a lot to do with it. :thumleft:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:52:12 am by Airguitar »

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:41 am »
Miss my XR when I read this.  Lekker idea that animated GIF.  Makes a change from the static pix  :thumleft:
" 'n Man wat nie vyande het nie deug nie vir 'n vriend nie. "

CJ Langenhoven

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:47:26 am »
Daai XL lyk kwaai Woody  :thumleft:
" 'n Man wat nie vyande het nie deug nie vir 'n vriend nie. "

CJ Langenhoven

Offline Airguitar

• My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 09:05:12 am »
Now I want to remind you that we are doing 100km/h here. The camera makes it look like we're maybe doing 50. Kevin is a great rider and has madesome noises about a ride up to Loskop, so it seems sure another XR-Fest or something similar is already brewing!  :thumleft:

Giving it horns!!  GIF alert!

Up ahead is the turnoff for the tweespoor to the dam, and one of the highlights of the ride...

Waiting for the group to catch up.

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:11:28 am »
I bailed before Red Star, but enjoyed it thoroughly! Cool to ride with some classic bikes!  :thumleft:  Thanks Airguitar!
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline Dogboxelectric

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • SANI- So not done with Lesotho
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 09:26:16 am »
Sub, looks like you okes had a rip roaring time.
Mesmerising stuff?!?
Honda XR650L 2011
Kawasaki Versys 650 2014

Offline Airguitar

• My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 09:31:33 am »
My lens cover had been dusting up, so please forgive the "Dusty" photos.

This section was great, with sandy tweespoor and a ride through a tunnel of trees. Everybody really enjoyed this.

Entering the trees..

Hamish, please make sure you add your pics. I remember the one you took here.. Amazing!

Here you can see how the road has been scraped. All the lekker powder sand is off to the left in a pile that is of absolutely zero use to a wild dog with a throttle in his hand and a gleam in his eye. What a waste..

Then we got to a closed gate but most guys fitted through the pedestrian access easily.
Only one guy, 2wdrift had to find alternate access (A hole in the fence) because his panniers were fitted.

A few shots of the scene:-
Kevin

Amateur move on my part.. I stalled just on the other side of the gate. Kicking frantically to get out of the way of the okes coming through the gap..

People mostly through..

Offline ROOI

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 09:38:07 am »
+10 and that RE  :drif:
FTS

Offline Airguitar

• My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 09:42:07 am »
+10 and that RE  :drif:
Woody's XL is a legend.. The Tenere wasn't shabby either!!

I bailed before Red Star, but enjoyed it thoroughly! Cool to ride with some classic bikes!  :thumleft:  Thanks Airguitar!

I'm glad you made it. By the time we got back to Baps only 7 bikes remained..  

Sub, looks like you okes had a rip roaring time.

We did.. next time tree aan boet.. Leave your duvet alone..  :bueller:

Miss my XR when I read this.  Lekker idea that animated GIF.  Makes a change from the static pix  :thumleft:

Thanks! It was very easy. Google plus does it for you.
I used my Sony HDR-AS30V action cam for the ride, with a few more shots taken with my Canon G-15.
The Sony was set to video for the first section and then I put it on time interval shooting, 1 shot every 5 seconds. I like this and will definitely make more use of it. I also must remember to give the lens a wipe more regularly to keep the pics nice and sharp and free of dust.

Offline Airguitar

• My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 09:43:33 am »
We'll be back after a short coffee break..

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 10:11:31 am »
Thank's for getting everybody together.  Must say some sections were just a bit loose/sandy for my liking... I am an old toppie with a slow WHITE bike  :imaposer:

But we made it in one piece to the Total garage on the Witbank freeway and because of time decided to get back home as I had an appointment with my pension eater to teach him riding his new old XTZ - 125 that we bought on Saturday.

Some report on that later... must say the laaitie is a natural and within a few minutes he was riding, changing gears etc... and he never rode a bike before.

Al in all a GOOD SUNDAY !  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 10:12:04 am »
What are all this blue and orange nonsense I see.  :pot:

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 10:32:44 am »
my contribution...

"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline bittervrug

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • vergeet wat jy weet
    • Fopspeen Moving Pictures
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 12:20:14 pm »
Dankie aan almal dit was ERG lekker!!
wherever you go there you are

Offline brianw

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 12:44:51 pm »
well done Derek for organizing. and my pillion charrise says thanks very much from her.

the sand was daunting with my road tyres  :o
the route was awesome,( note to self... must do more of this)

Offline brianw

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 12:45:41 pm »
nice photos