Break Away

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
So I recently turned 50 and decided that I wanted to celebrate it my way. On a short visit to the roads I enjoy. So planning commenced, I wanted to ride some roads that I like, most of them in the Lowveld. When I mentioned it my Boss he said he had never been this way on a bike and would like to join. No worries and leave approved. Dates set, money more or less sorted, accommodation booked.
Freedom Day.
We left Sodom (Pretoria) via the N1, to avoid the “complicated parts“ of the R101 and would use the N1 to get us to BelaBela and then use the R101 once we were clear of the main grind. Cleared Pumulani Plaza and set sail for Carousel Plaza and it became apparent the half of Gauteng also wanted to break free. Busy busy busy. But liveable. Arrive in a que at Carosel Plaza and wait a minute or two. But as I look in my mirror I see my boss and his wife on the deck. Some chop in a Polo had just clipped them on the pannier causing the bike to fall over. No injuries luckily, but the pannier brackets on the Explorer 1200 had broken on the box. Bracket bent - corrected with an angry kick. We sorted the broken bracket issue with zip ties and bungee cords. Set sail after swoping details with the clueless driver.
We jumped off the N1 and went to Pienaar’s River Police Station and made the required accident report. A quick prayer for thanksgiving for keeping people free of injury and plea for safety, and we try again. Traffic on the R101 is painless and the road conditions good. A quick Wimpy brekkie at BelaBela and we are off again. Road still good, traffic getting heavier but not as heavy as in Mokopnane. Really busy there. Get some petrol and a water and off we go again. Exit the mass of humanity to the east via the R519 and route to Zebedelia. Road again ok and traffic light. Turn further East to the R519. Traffic gets heavier with many more taxis, polos and corollas. No hairy moments but eyes are peeled and people wanna get into open country.
Chuniespoort and then a right on to an unmarked road to take bring us out on to the R71 just past Moria/Boyne.
Join the R71 and things are looking and feeling better. Roads still good and things getting better as we approach the twisties. Initial twisties are good, but soon get complicated with slow coaches up ahead. But not an issue, sit back and enjoy the scenery. Another coffee in Haernetsbeg and then off to Magoebaskloof. Once again a little too much traffic for my liking but sit back, wait for a gap and get ahead. The remainder of the R 71 was lekker, road not bad and some nice sweeping turns. One needs to look out for slow moving farming vehicles and trucks, but otherwise an enjoyable road. At the R36 turn right and head for Tzaneen. Arrive at the guest house Tarentilos (Facility good and prices are not too bad). And spend an afternoon unwinding and talking stuff. Have supper at the old train station and once again cam recommend them.
Friday 28. Watch the sun rise and get ready. Resume our travels on the R71 to the east. Farming makes way to bushveld and game country. Look out for ShallowPigs (Vlakvarke or Warthogs) and other road hogs. Road isn’t too bad but always be on the look out for holes and other trip ending obstacles.
Flash through Gravelotte and on to the R326. Once again road not bad, some bums and potholes, caution and sensibility will pay off. Arrive at the R40, turn right and begin to enjoy the Lowveld sounds and sights again. Suns up and so is the temperature but to a cool 32. Brekkie in Hoedspruit and continue with the R40 and turn right on the R531 to ride past Kampersrus and the along the escarpment. Road is getting worse and is bumpy and poorly patched. Join the R527 and head for the hills. Once again the road isn’t great but driveable. Not too much traffic.
Regular stops for the pillion passengers and to hydrate. The road up Abel Erasmus to the tunnel is bumpy and patched. Not in great shape but again caution must be exercised.
The road thereafter begins to improve and the second part of the pass is lekker. Not perfect, but better than the first. The last part before we turn off on to the R532 is much better, much better and even better with no significant traffic. Lots of smiles there.
I am always careful on the first part of the escarpment drive, animals, farm equipment etc but the road is great. Still hot, but with the lighter traffic it was fun.
We do the obligatory Three Rondavels for the boss and his wife. Then off to the Bourkes Luck Potholes. Road OKish, but look out for slow moving TCP (Taxis, Corollas and Polos) and domestic animals wanting to be come road kill.
Then the fun starts after the Treur River. The road has been resurfaced recently and has plenty of small stones and caution should be exercised. But that soon clears up to be an absolutely bloody awesome road. All the way in to Graskop. That road is awesome, a must do. The scenery moves from canyon views to forestry and back to canyon vies. Do drive this road soon. If you have more than one millilitre of testosterone in your system, you can not ride this road at the legal posted limit. It is truly wonderful.
Graskop greets us with a small shower of rain. Just to cool us down. Supper at an unnamed place where the service is crap but food is good, sees us discussing the host of possibilities that we have for tomorrow….