Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I need to borrow a 2014-onward LC GS Adventure windscreen!  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Nick V

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Oops, sorry... Was that your heart?
Re: I need to borrow a 2014-onward LC GS Adventure windscreen!
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 07:16:19 pm »
So... all done. See the piccy for details.

WER eventually made two prototypes from the sample I supplied. The first was made in 3mm acrylic, with a light tint. The second was in 5mm acrylic with no tint. I was given a choice of either one, so I tried out the light-tinted screen. The tint was okay, but 3mm acrylic doesn't seem to suit the forming process very well - the screen's curves were uneven from left to right.
I exchanged the tinted screen for the clear one the next day, and it was much better - far more even.

The pattern WER used to make the screens gives a lot more coverage than the original GSA screen - it's about 30mm higher and 40mm wider overall. I wasn't entirely happy with this, so I spent half an hour with some masking tape, my jigsaw and bench grinder, trimming it so it more closely resembled the original GSA pattern (though it's still about 10mm higher and 20mm wider overall).

Strangely, WER say they aren't happy with the way the colour renders on the 5mm light-tint acrylic. They'll probably still make you one if you stamp hard, but they have no problem making the same 5mm-thick screen as here in either clear or dark tint.
'13 R1200GS LC

Iron Butt Association #59898
Flectere si nequeo superos, acheronta movebo
Audentes fortuna adiuvat

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
Re: I need to borrow a 2014-onward LC GS Adventure windscreen!
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 07:35:45 pm »
Hey Nick. Please post a pic of the tinted one?