BMW GS LC vs Ducati Adventure bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaky

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi All, I am looking for some advice re a decision I need to make. Please don't do brand bashing as it does not help me with my decision, I am asking for advice on what would you do in my place and any valuable information I may need to make my call between the two.
I currently have a late 2014 GS LC. I was looking at getting a new bike this year and spoke to my BMW connection. He put a deal on the table a few months ago for a new GS that they would give me R135k as a trade in on my bike and I would need to pay in R80k for the new one. This is great deal. I then asked when is the GS 1250 coming out as I wanted the new TFT screen and the current GS's don't have this as BMW is sitting with a huge amount of 2017 models. I was told next year some time and hopefully by mid year which is not a problem for me as I was willing to wait and I put my name down for one. My problem is that BMW is now really getting expensive and not sure at what price they will bring the GS 1250 out at.
I always wanted to own a Ducati and the old Multistrada's did not look great and reliability was an issue and not really for off-road. The new one is awesome and have seen some good write up's. The deal with this Ducati 1198 Adventure is as follows: Price is R219k for a 2017 Dec registered one as they needed to do this to offer the price of R219k vs new 2018 at R255k and it is the same bike and it is a brand new. They got a price for me now of R120k for my GS vs R135 at BMW, but I can always sell it privately if I go the Multistrada route.The 1000km and 15000km service is included in the price. The service is around R3k for 30 000km one at R8k for the 40 000km as this is for valve clearances and many other technical stuff that needs to be done. BMW same 40 000km service is around R4/R5k now. Chain and sprockets need to be replaced as and when and they say it can be changed at 15 000km or even 30 000km depending on how you ride. The set costs R5k and you cant go aftermarket as the back sprocket is a special design but you can buy a kit for this which will add to the price once off. You get a 2 year warranty which is the same a BMW and they also have a 2 year roadside assistance with AA as their is BMW on call.
My issues are as follows: I commute every day on my bike and do around 80% tar and 20% dirt.
1. How reliable is the Multistrada now? Has anyone got one and how do they like it? Any issues I should know about?
2. Both bikes are 2017 models if I buy a current GS without TFT.
3. Pricing is similar in fact the Ducati is R5k cheaper vs the current GS.
4. Trade in value of the Ducati, how good is this now and going forward? Has anyone traded one in yet?
Let me know your guys thoughts as I am really torn and also don't want to pay R260k for a GS R1250 if that is what they are going to go for. I am hoping the price will be very similar to what they are at present. Thanx in anticipation.