KTM 1190 R Sand Riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Thought I would share a little more sand riding experience on the 1190....

Attended the Bray July with a few friends last weekend.  It was really an excuse for a proper ride - just wanted to ride the bike in terrain that is not just a hard gravel road.  The sandy tracks North of Vryburg seemed attractive and the Bray July was on so there was a reason to ride.  About 1200 km for the weekend, with very little tar.

The bike runs better than expected in the thick sand.  It tracks straight through the sand tracks, with a bit of weaving in the thick sand at speed.  But stable enough to keep under control without too much stress.  Not very different to the 990R.  A Scott steering damper would assist, but the built-in one also "softens" the weave (at higher speeds - not sure how high, let us say 120 + VAT, as there might be police reading this) to the extent that head shaking is not tank slapping.  One can stay in top gear with the engine spinning comfortably above the torque peak and there is enough horsepower to push through the sand when the need arises to twist the throttle.  And the suspension after the Hilton Hayward treatment works well - no tooth shattering bottoming and it soaks up the corrugations well.

Slow riding in thick sand is as difficult as with anything this heavy.  Here I would say the GS is a little easier.  The 1190's height, especially with my jacked up suspension does bring a bit of a dimension.  But once beyond second gear - things improve quickly. 

I installed a new DNA filter in the 2014 air box prior to departure.  Will open and see what it looks like some time.  I have not had too much hassle with dust in the airbox, the DNA filters are way better than the paper element that comes std.  I don't like the maintenance, seeing it is quite a job to get to the filter.  I have used the DNA since the start on this bike, and it still runs well.  Must be doing something right....

My tubed 990 wheels sound primitive to some.  But they work.  No smileys, no punctures and all is good.  Given the speed and terrain, I doubt if the stock rims would have kept their cool....  And the Mitas E09 rear / E10 front combo remains my choice.  The half worn rear when we started was finished at the end, and provided decent traction throughout its life.

Taking care when riding the 1190 (or anything with this kind of performance) is important.  Riding it in the first place is probably not "taking care".  It builds speed much quicker that it slows down.  Do not give your best with the throttle if you still think that ABS braking is a good idea.....

Just some thoughts, for what it is worth......  8)