The 2 wheels and wings ride. Very embarrassing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whethefakawe

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
My last annual holiday before leaving the corporation and the USSA was looking to be a good one. I managed to convince my engineer brother to lend me his BMW GS 650 to ride around SA.

If you know any engineers, you'll know that they are.....shall we say, THOROUGH. and DETAIL-MINDED  ;D  My boet's bike is 6 years old  in concourse condition with low mileage so it shocked the shite out of me when he said yes. Just proves that you never REALLY know someone, even after 41 years.

I packed my wheeled OGIO gear bag and happily bought a handful of employee-discount tickets on QANTAS, British Airways and SAA.. I planned to go to Oz to see my old army  buddy John, then on to SA, up to Uganda, then to Greece to see my sister before returining to the Land of the Fat via London.

I thought I had adhered to the 7 P's Principle very well but the wheels came off my trip right at the start. The QANTAS midnight flight from Los Angeles to Brisbane was FULL. So was the one to Melbourne. I couldn't get to Oz, so had to sit up in the airport all night, fly home, sleep all day and think up plan B.

I decided to head east this time, through London, and go see a few sights while I'm there. I've wanted to go to the Ace Cafe, THE biker hangout in London, for a while so that was top of the list. The Imperial War Museum and the Royal Air Force Museum were next, the last time I went to the RAF museum I was pressed for time and didn't see everything I wanted. My riding buddy and colleague Larry was also on vacation so he decided to tag along.

We're kinda simple-minded, Larry and me, we don't have too many interests besides bikes, planes, boats and punda. (In no particular order, I might add.)

I changed my tickets to go from London to Joburg on BA, then complete the trip as planned via Uganda and Greece.  :walk:

Larry and I got to London around 8 am on a Saturday, found a cheap (50 pound/night) B+B close by Victoria Station, left our bags at reception and headed out to the ACE. We were lucky, the weather was very nice considering it's the middle of winter in the UK. Sunny, between 3 and 12 degrees as the day progressed and blustery. The Ace Cafe is a short walk from the ROYSTON station, past an interesting bike-themed fence:

The A_E _AFE, seems the C-thieves had struck.