Destination Unknown via Wherever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
It has been a while since my last road trip and I needed to get away. With my riding buddy (daughter) now also out of the house it was time for a solo trip; I had roughly five days available and a quick glance at the map suggested that I would be able to tick off a bucket list item – Camping on Verneukpan.

I’m not one for planning a trip in too much detail as it puts unnecessary pressure on you to stick to a route or timeline, so without booking anything I had a rough idee where I wanted to go and with this being a camping trip, I was prepared to wild camp next to a dirt road if needed. Kit was packed and the bike prepared, ready to depart Oudtshoorn on Wednesday morning. I would stay off tar roads as much as possible.

IMG_5899.jpg

Fuelled and ready to go

Day 1. Oudtshoorn – Laingsburg – Sutherland

Having done most of the main Karoo routes, the idea was to get to Sutherland via some routes I have not done yet, however I had to get to Laingsburg first and took the R62 up to Seweweekspoort and onto Rooinek pass.

IMG_5901.jpg

Rooinek Pass

After a quick coffee in Laingsburg I took the Moordenaarskaroo Road past Koringplaas and the Roggeveld Windfarm back onto the R354 and Sutherland where I camped at Sterland Campsite for the night.

IMG_5902.jpg

IMG_5905.jpg

IMG_5917.jpg

Coffee Break and hiding from the wind

IMG_5928.jpg

Roggeveld Wind Farm - I suspect this is where the wind gets generated

IMG_5929.jpg

Sterland Campsite