Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Can you use a tube on the LC with tire pressure monitor?  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Slaaiblaar

Re: Can you use a tube on the LC with tire pressure monitor?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 03:16:19 pm »
My first reaction is 'no'.  I think the TPM forms part of the valve.  On a tube the valve come with the tube.  Best would be to change to tubes and remove everything before departure.  that way you don't need to worry about conversions along the way.

But tubeless is better and easier to fix than tubes.  Why do you want to make things difficult for yourself?
Being tubeless does not make one impervious ('scuse the pun) to problems....start off with Tyre Shield & if you hit problems later on then fit a tube or patch the tyre  :thumleft:

Wont the liquid mess with the TPM??
Liquid??

Yes Tyre Shield is a liquid  :-\

Though Tyre shield is the same as  a gator, yes the liquid will affect the monitor

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 07:53:28 pm »
Tyre Shield will not affect the TPMS and in fact is one of the selling points. We have dosed dozens of bikes with TPMS and have never had a problem. Just saying..... :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline knightrat

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 08:39:20 pm »
Guy at work had a flat with his LC.. he was about to fill it with that tire sealant when I pointed out it might hurt his TPM.. he phoned bavaria and was told it doesn't block the pressure sensing but it apparently corrodes the sensor and they don't recommend using it.. I guess it will get you home though?  :peepwall:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 09:29:17 pm »
There might be some tyre sealants that could corrode parts but not Tyre Shield. They are specific about this..... :thumleft:
Back to tubes...   ;D
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 07:41:38 am »
I am more and more considering this stuff now
But if I swap tyres often I guess its a bad idea
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline TheBear

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 10:12:49 am »
Jy sal die TPM sensor met valve (dis een eenheid)  moet uithaal.  Maklik.  Niks meer werk as om 'n normale valve uit te haal nie.  Dan sit jy die tube in.  Maak net seker jy het die tube se valve se skroefies en goete.

Guy at work had a flat with his LC.. he was about to fill it with that tire sealant when I pointed out it might hurt his TPM.. he phoned bavaria and was told it doesn't block the pressure sensing but it apparently corrodes the sensor and they don't recommend using it.. I guess it will get you home though?  :peepwall:

I can see how a tire sealant could easily block the tiny hole in the pressure sensor, so I would not take the work of Bavaria's phone advisor at all.  It should be easy to fix though.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:14:47 am by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 09:48:28 pm »
An 18" tube works for the 17" rear and 19" front wheels.  I have fitted many tubes in tubeless wheels - mainly on 1200 GS bikes.  Never had an issue.  Always got home, sometimes more than 1000 km later.  Yes, if you analyse things, there is a risk.  A 990 rim has quite a large bead, you have to pump the wheel quite hard to seat it.  And it is tubed. 

On a 17/19" bike, I carry one 18" tube.  Much quicker to fit and move on than to wait for assistance.  I am not saying it is a fool proof solution, just sharing what has worked for me in practical situations.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline 1190

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 04:52:03 pm »
Just did an 800km trip in the Transkei and had a situation with the front tyre conti attack 2. Tried to plug it but it had about 20 holes in it? ?? After the 4 th plug i put tyre  sealant in and after 160kms of stopping and pumping i got home. There were 10 bikes on the trip and we had about 12 punctures and one buckled rim (1190). Tubeless is the easiest by far but its the second time ive seen a conti just have holes all over the tyre.

The tyre pressure sensor kept working and i ended up at home on 1 bar. Oh and in enduro mode the alarm comes on at 0.8 bar, in rain mode 2.1 bar is there a way to set this as in enduro or pro mode thats way to low.?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:37:48 pm by 1190 »
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 06:03:16 pm »
Just did an 800km trip in the Transkei and had a situation with the front tyre conti attack 2. Tried to plug it but it had about 20 holes in it? ?? After the 4 th plug i put tyre  sealant in and after 160kms of stopping and pumping i got home. There were 10 bikes on the trip and we had about 12 punctures and one buckled rim (1190). Tubeless is the easiest by far but its the second time ive seen a conti just have holes all over the tyre.

The tyre pressure sensor kept working and i ended up at home on 1 bar. Oh and in enduro mode the alarm comes on at 0.8 bar, in rain mode 2.1 bar is there a way to set this as in enduro or pro mode thats way to low.?

With a tube you would not have stopped once.  I have rarely had success with tyre sealant.  It fails more times than not and causes a big mess.  Cleaning the TPS will be a job - do it before the stuff cures. 
I dislike the alarm - just want to see the pressure and I will decide what is too low.  Don't need the flashing lights.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Online Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 07:06:04 pm »
As far as I van remember you can only disable low TPM in Enduro and enduro pro modes. Not rain or road

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 10:43:24 pm »
I never use rain or road.  Sometimes dynamic for short periods when I want to use the cruise control.  Enduro Pro most of the time.  I like the engine response and suspension in EP mode.  I like the display of tyre pressure.  I do not like the bike deciding what is good or not good.  That is my decision, not the bike's.....
www.countrytrax.co.za