Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 lowering links/dogbones  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Morokai

DR650 lowering links/dogbones
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:30:40 pm »
I am looking for a set of lowering dogbones for a friends Dr. I can order from the U-s-of-A but it would set the wallet back quite a bit.

Anyone know of somewhere/someone locally that might be willing to sell me a set?

Thanx in advance
Fear is temporary, Regret is forever.

DR650SE, DRZ400E, KTM300 XCW

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33░54.712 E018░28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: DR650 lowering links/dogbones
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:25:44 am »
I am looking for a set of lowering dogbones for a friends Dr. I can order from the U-s-of-A but it would set the wallet back quite a bit.

Anyone know of somewhere/someone locally that might be willing to sell me a set?

Thanx in advance
Whist we have none in stock at present, we DO have footpeg lowering brackets for the DR...

But will listen out for lowering links...
Cheers
Chris & Team
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33░54.712 E018░28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33░54.712 E018░28.208

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 08:43:40 am »
How tall is your friend?
How heavy?
Is the bike on the low setting already and was it set to low according to the workshop manual?

If your friend is about 1.63 or taller and does not have very short legs he should be able to handle the DR650SE on the low setting.
If he's short and NOT very light (very light as in 50kg or so) the lowering links will NOT work. The transmission ratio and progression of the suspension changes to the softer side if you fit longer (lowering) links.
Lowering links also cause rear wheel clearance issues as well as kark (and potentially dangerous) handling due to the changed steering geometry.

The proper way to lower a DR650SE is:
(To the factory provided low setting)
Move spacers from above the spring to above the rebound spring inside the forks.
Remove rear shock, turn lower spring seat around, adjust spring preload, fit shock with lower mounting bolt in the upper hole.

Do NOT only move the bolt into the upper hole in the shock mount. You will end up with too much suspension travel = rear wheel clearance problems.
Do NOT drop the forks in the triple clamps. You will end up with front wheel clearance issues.

If the bike is lowered properly and if it's still too tall:
First of all see how much you can gain by cutting the seat down. This is BY FAR the cheapest modification.

I can modify the fork springs and preload bushes to lower it further.
I can also modify the rear shock to lower it further.
This will not be cheap but it will be professional and reversible leaving you with a ride able bike.

The lowering links will be cheap and nasty leaving you with an ill handling bike which comes down the road dragging its arse like a dog with worms.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Morokai

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:58:59 am »
Thanx LeCap
PM sent
Fear is temporary, Regret is forever.

DR650SE, DRZ400E, KTM300 XCW

Offline Prototype

• Bike: Honda XR400
  • Drink something stronger and think again
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 02:32:56 pm »
Where can one get a lower seat?
In a previous life I rode a KLR.

Not much dust in NZ...

Offline Cave Girl

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 04:23:01 pm »
Mmmm I am 1.54 and managed fine on my DR on the lowered settings - the bike is light enough to get your foot down before you reach that point of no return ...
Even on days when you don't have the time or the energy, you are still the centre of your pet's world!
Avatar pic courtesy of Gerhard du Preez!!

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 11:01:51 am »
I agree with Cave Girl. You can hardly be too short for a DR650SE on the low setting.

As mentioned make sure it's lowered properly (as per manufacturers instructions).

Then stop trying to get both feet onto the ground at the same time. That's unnecessary and rather dangerous if you are short.

A good upholsterer ideally one who knows what he's doing with regards to motorcycle seats will be able to modify the seat. Else look for aftermarket seats (Corbin et al.) but they are rather pricey compared to modifying your seat and you will have to import.

If you're in Cape Town I can make your DR seat lower and / or more comfortable.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Prototype

• Bike: Honda XR400
  • Drink something stronger and think again
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 03:45:17 pm »
Cool. Will try the factory low setting and see how it goes. It's for my fiancÚ with the bike currently residing with Morokai as we are in Nam and coming to pick up the bike in Dec. She is 1.63 so if you can do it Cave girl, I am sure she can too  :thumleft:

BTW, you should include a he/she option in your replies Lecap :pot:
In a previous life I rode a KLR.

Not much dust in NZ...