Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why so many KTM 690's for Sale?  (Read 10372 times)

Offline ROOI

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
Re: Why so many KTM 690's for Sale?
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2015, 02:48:14 pm »
Ok, after all the faffing and blowing about on this issue of why 690's all get sold at low kilometres, let's get to the truth.

I see daily how incredibly soft most "adventure" riders really are, and a 690 is just too sharp for most. Their little bums bleed after 100kays, their little arty-farty fingers tingle
because of vibrations, and their mouths are all dry because there is no wind protection.

A lot of people will hate this post, those are the guys I'referring to.

We true adventure riders only sleep in guest houses these days :3some: :3some:

:peepwall: I Heard camping is for refugees  :laughing4:
FTS

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2015, 05:05:35 pm »
How do you guys get around packing luggage and being able to fill up with fuel (without having to unpack your luggage)? Must be a pain the arse.

You buy yourself Giant Loop Coyote bags or similar  :thumleft:
this off a G450X, but you get the idea of the Giant loop Coyote giving access to the fuel filler...

Cheers
Chris & Team
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:09:09 pm by zebra - Flying Brick »
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2015, 05:20:47 pm »
Conversely, just because the rider doesn't have the skill to ride the bike in certain conditions doesn't automatically make it the wrong tool for the job. If a complete newby gets on a 990 and falls in the sand on his first trip through Namibia, does that make it the wrong tool for touring Namibia? No.  I'll hazard a guess and say that anyone who has trouble on the 690 doesn't have the skill to do the same terrain at pace with a small plastic anyway
I have to disagree with your statement.

I managed to ride my Tenere up Penge without much fuss and can promise you that it was the wrong tool for the job. My friend could not get his D/S bike up the same pass but on his 610 and 525, he barely broke a sweat  :deal:

Big bikes and short legs results in lots of despair when you run out of traction and the simple truth is that more often than not, riders unintentionally find themselves breaking their expensive bikes while riding the wrong terrain, which leads to downsizing to smaller bikes for technical rides or bigger bikes for long distance adventures.

Where is the 690's niche?
Is it better at enduro/rocky climbs than a 450?
Is it better at doing 300km/s of dirt highways than a 990?
Is it better at 2 spoor than a KTM530?

The way I see it, in a race like Baja 1000, where you can pitch up with any displacement, the 450's are being used, simply because they are faster at doing 2 spoor, open dirt sections and rocky climbs.

So the 690 is not the "best" at anything but good at doing everything and sadly, it seems that most people are not content with "good" anymore.
The 690s niche is that it can do everything and when the going gets tuff, you can still have fun. If you are only going to rate in absolutes, no bike will fit the bill
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline SchalkL

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2015, 05:38:41 pm »
Must say I have a new respect for the 690 after watching the 5 video series of these guys. London to Sydney!
Only big problem they really had was the fuel pumps on both bikes but that was due to dirty petrol.

https://youtu.be/x3fDg7f2xPY
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline Acajou

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2015, 05:39:20 pm »
I find it sad that the "one bike" mentality seems to be going out the window. Fair enough, a 690 (and most 650cc thumpers) are never going to be as good at anything as a bike more suited to the task, but we can't all own multiple bikes, and many people don't want to.

These bikes offer versatility to the off-road minded rider. Sure, you can do tweespoor better on a 450, or gravel highways better on a 990, or highway sections better on a 1290, and then gnarly bundu-bashing better on a 2t 300, but what if your trip includes all of that?

Somewhere you have to compromise, either in the routes you take or in the bike you ride. I'm still young and stubborn and I want to ride wherever I like without worrying whether or not my bike will make it, so the 690 is suited to me. But it seems it's truly a dying breed of motorcycle  :(
2010 Suzuki DR650
2009 Yamaha WR450F
2000 Suzuki GN250

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2015, 06:14:31 pm »
Very good post.  :thumleft:

My only issue with the 690 is its price. I was not prepared to pay top dollar for an all-round compromise bike. Might as well just go the Ganjora route and buy an XRR for half the price.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:15:38 pm by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2015, 06:31:21 pm »
The real issue here is not the bike IMO.

I didnt buy the 690 when I had the chance, I went for the 610 instead, for various reasons.  But that was when we had two bikes of that type available - now there is only one, unless you buy second hand.

The real issue to me is actually social dynamics - strange as that may sound.

The simple fact is that the type of riding that a 690 is good for is very different to what most people do.  So if your mates all ride 990's or even worse, 1200's etc, then its going to be difficult to ride a 690 with them.

You wont be able to cruise at high speeds with them on tar - especially if they push it. 

Depending on how much skill they have, they might not be able to keep up with you in technical terrain.  And even if they have the skill, they just may tend to avoid the technical stuff because its a bit harder on a big bike.  So you are going to be constantly wanting to do different types of riding.

So unless you ride alone often, or are lucky enough to find mates that also share your taste in terrain and type of riding, its going to be difficult to own a 690, and the pressure is always going to be there to get a bigger bike simply because more people go that route.

Personally I think the 690 class of bike is exactly right - for my preferred type of riding.  There are a few things I would want to be different on a 690 specifically, but that's just details.

To me, all the other bikes (including the other 650 adventure bikes) are just too road orientated.  I want something that's derived from a racing enduro bike so that it handles well like a proper off road bike, but I do need to ride on roads - so it must be able to cruise at highway speeds for longish distances.

The 690 is the only bike sold currently that fits that description.  As I said, I just wish there were more choices in this class.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Acajou

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2015, 06:55:53 pm »
Very good post.  :thumleft:

My only issue with the 690 is its price. I was not prepared to pay top dollar for an all-round compromise bike. Might as well just go the Ganjora route and buy an XRR for half the price.

That's the only reason I'm not riding one either. Unfortunately all the top-tier bikes in that class are hen's teeth now (XRR, 610) and are close to 690's in price, unless you get really lucky like Ganjora and that guy who bought a '05 610 for R30k on the forum a while back. I settled for a DR, which I consider to be overweight, underpowered and very lacking in the suspension department, but it's cheap as chips and reliable as stone and, for the moment at least, my abilities don't exceed those of the bike. Unfortunately I'll want more eventually, and then what?

The real issue here is not the bike IMO.

I didnt buy the 690 when I had the chance, I went for the 610 instead, for various reasons.  But that was when we had two bikes of that type available - now there is only one, unless you buy second hand.

The real issue to me is actually social dynamics - strange as that may sound.

The simple fact is that the type of riding that a 690 is good for is very different to what most people do.  So if your mates all ride 990's or even worse, 1200's etc, then its going to be difficult to ride a 690 with them.

You wont be able to cruise at high speeds with them on tar - especially if they push it. 

Depending on how much skill they have, they might not be able to keep up with you in technical terrain.  And even if they have the skill, they just may tend to avoid the technical stuff because its a bit harder on a big bike.  So you are going to be constantly wanting to do different types of riding.

So unless you ride alone often, or are lucky enough to find mates that also share your taste in terrain and type of riding, its going to be difficult to own a 690, and the pressure is always going to be there to get a bigger bike simply because more people go that route.

Personally I think the 690 class of bike is exactly right - for my preferred type of riding.  There are a few things I would want to be different on a 690 specifically, but that's just details.

To me, all the other bikes (including the other 650 adventure bikes) are just too road orientated.  I want something that's derived from a racing enduro bike so that it handles well like a proper off road bike, but I do need to ride on roads - so it must be able to cruise at highway speeds for longish distances.

The 690 is the only bike sold currently that fits that description.  As I said, I just wish there were more choices in this class.

Very good point. I wish all the manufacturers would produce more bikes like these, or maybe even toned-down 450's or 500's with longer service intervals, but the market just isn't there anymore for more technical dualsporting. It's all about the gravel highways on flying couches these days...
2010 Suzuki DR650
2009 Yamaha WR450F
2000 Suzuki GN250

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2015, 07:01:52 pm »
I get your point made about social dynamics but it addresses the symptoms and not its cause, which is what I've been trying to identify.

What would it be like doing a Namibian trip on a stock 690? For starters, the stock tank doesn't allow enough range.
The straight seat and lack of wind protection means that cruising at anything over 110km/h for extended periods will be very uncomfortable.
Converting it into a more suitable bike ventures into the price range of purpose built dirt cruisers and will result in less than ideal handling with full tanks anyway.

And before you know it, all your buddies are either on 990's or 500's
Let the good times roll!

Offline boland

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2015, 07:03:02 pm »
I find it sad that the "one bike" mentality seems to be going out the window. Fair enough, a 690 (and most 650cc thumpers) are never going to be as good at anything as a bike more suited to the task, but we can't all own multiple bikes, and many people don't want to.

These bikes offer versatility to the off-road minded rider. Sure, you can do tweespoor better on a 450, or gravel highways better on a 990, or highway sections better on a 1290, and then gnarly bundu-bashing better on a 2t 300, but what if your trip includes all of that?

Somewhere you have to compromise, either in the routes you take or in the bike you ride. I'm still young and stubborn and I want to ride wherever I like without worrying whether or not my bike will make it, so the 690 is suited to me. But it seems it's truly a dying breed of motorcycle  :(

Agree completely.

I hope there is still a lot of 690s for sale in a year or so, then I can pick up a '12/'13 with 2k kms on it and keep it forever.

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2015, 07:13:15 pm »
Can always buy a well used xrr and redo its top end.
Their bottom ends are indestructible
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:34:40 pm by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2015, 07:19:24 pm »

And redo the suspension, and the brakes.

Offline XRRX

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2015, 07:32:32 pm »

+1  And then it will still outlast 5 new 690's !!!  :peepwall:

Offline boland

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2015, 07:36:29 pm »

And redo the suspension, and the brakes.

That's the problem. After sinking R10k into my DR650 I realized it will never be a 690. Even after upgrading suspension etc. I know the XRR is awesome and a lot better than a DR, but cant see it coming close to 690 for much less money.

Offline Rooi Wolf

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Op die Hantam hoogtes..
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2015, 08:02:11 pm »
As a new 690 owner I find this a very good read. Many good opinions and points floating around.

The 690 is a beast of a machine, and as a choice animal, it is awesome in many respects. Like most bike owners would vouch for their own bikes, regardless of make, engine size or model, I'm sure most 690 riders would for theirs'. Despite any shortcomings it does a lot of things very good.

On paper, specs and figures only tell so much. Get on one and you'll know what the smile is all about..   

Offline Blender

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2015, 08:15:18 pm »
As a new 690 owner I find this a very good read. Many good opinions and points floating around.

The 690 is a beast of a machine, and as a choice animal, it is awesome in many respects. Like most bike owners would vouch for their own bikes, regardless of make, engine size or model, I'm sure most 690 riders would for theirs'. Despite any shortcomings it does a lot of things very good.

On paper, specs and figures only tell so much. Get on one and you'll know what the smile is all about..   

+1 000 000 000  :thumleft:

I've owned a couple of bikes, some I'm proud to say, I've owned, others not so much...

The 690 is one of those bikes that you ride, and forget anything else exists.
Get off it, and you start thinking "I'd like another bike to do this and that... whatever!" You test ride... get back on the 690 and realize it's in another class!

True, there are negatives and maintenance is not the best, but smiles per miles cannot be beaten on this bike!

Mine has got 63000 on the clock, I've spent quite a bit in maintenance in the last 5000km, but well worth it compared to trading it and getting something newer.
Especially considering it's a thumper and things are not as smooth as on twins, etc.
I'll gladly spend the same amount again in the next 60000 just to continue riding this awesome bike!  :thumleft:
Honda Varadero
KTM 690 Enduro R
'90 KDX200
'83 XT500 (never should've sold) :(
MBX50 (the first one!)

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2015, 08:37:56 pm »
I think that the gray zone in which the 690 enduro operates is more pronounced than with your SMC, don't you think?
Let the good times roll!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2015, 08:48:11 pm »
I think that the gray zone in which the 690 enduro operates is more pronounced than with your SMC, don't you think?

If the 690 operates in a gray zone, then 990/1200's and MX bikes operate in black zones? :imaposer:

What I like about the 690, and my XT600E, is that I can travel a 100kms, and then do the Road to hell. No grey zone here, fun zone yes.
The 990/1200's will handle that 1000kms better, but CANNOT do the Hellroad. The MX bikes can do the Hellroad, but it would be hell to get there.

This is the big thing about the 600cc class bikes for me, it sets you free to really do what you want on a trip. This is also why the 2-bike policy does not work, 990/1200's great
on long trip, but very tech and you have to by-pass, while your lighter 2nd bike is far away in your garage at home.

Offline WildWood

• Race Dog
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2015, 09:17:16 pm »
We at WildWood do regular tours up to the Orange River on 690's , and the distance is never a problem. Carrying an extra fuel cell 5 liters sorts the fuel problem and when we get to the sandy river tracks and Richtersveld 4x4 goat tracks we can go where the big bikes will never dare. I kept my 990S for a while after buying the 690 but landed up never riding it and sold it.

The 690is the best bike I've owned in my fifty odd years , without doubt, but I also understand why it's to sharp a tool for most riders. It is a riders bike and not for the lifestyle rider group. You have to make up your mind if you want comfort or handling, because you can't have both. If you want gizmo's or lightweight. If you travel with the kitchen sink or a leatherman.

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2015, 10:49:47 pm »
Hmmm food for thought
Thanks
Let the good times roll!