Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Spot light relocation  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Davew

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Spot light relocation
« on: December 07, 2014, 11:50:05 pm »
Here's a thought for you: I've seen couple of pictures lately of okes who appear to have relocated their spots to on top of the upper crash bar mounting extension (next to the beak)

Anyone done this or thought about it? Seems to me std location is a bit low and prone to picking up stones...

Was pretty common to remount the spots on the previous gen GSA from below to on top of the mounting bar.

Offline BennNevis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: Spot light relocation
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:39:27 am »
There will always be people who JUST have to change things. I could never understand the need moving the spots to above the chrasbars. Apparently when you fall over alot it helps?

Offline K-9

• Pack Dog
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:25:05 pm »
i raised the spots on my previous two GSA's and it improved the light on the road.  so i have thought about it, i am surprised it is not a standard add on.   seen the photos but not a good close up yet.
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline BennNevis

• Race Dog
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:07:40 pm »
i raised the spots on my previous two GSA's and it improved the light on the road.  so i have thought about it, i am surprised it is not a standard add on.   seen the photos but not a good close up yet.

I am not sure how the same lumens power in a higher position can give improved light

Offline Davew

• Pack Dog
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 04:26:48 pm »
BennNevis
I doubt the change in position will affect distance from road will reduce intensity.
But I do think the pattern of light disperse for normal lighting will improve. Conversely, raising them will reduce effectiveness as a fog light (which should be low and flat beams)
However, I use mine for improved visibility of me (day or night) and some improved dispersion of light on the road for night riding.

K-9
The mod is quite straight forward from what I can see - a set of clamps to mount to the bar and reroute the wires

Cheers

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 04:49:21 pm »
LED spotlights will vastly improve seeing and being seen. I have had quite a few riders replacing stock BMW spots with 1000 or 3600 Lumen spots.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Davew

• Pack Dog
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 07:57:18 pm »
LED spotlights will vastly improve seeing and being seen. I have had quite a few riders replacing stock BMW spots with 1000 or 3600 Lumen spots.

I thought the stock spots on the newer bikes are LED? As for brightness etc, I'm plenty happy with mine. Sure, if I were to replace them for any reason, I'd be hard pressed to justify the OEM prices.

My question was whether many okes had done a relocation of them on the WC bikes, seeing as it was popular to do so on the previous generation

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 09:43:34 am »
Not sure about the spots on the LC GSA's (are they LED?, maybe someone can clarify), but OEM spots are really dims, not brights. LED spots have to be switched off for oncoming traffic at night, but really lights up the road when needed.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline BennNevis

• Race Dog
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 01:21:07 pm »
Not sure about the spots on the LC GSA's (are they LED?, maybe someone can clarify), but OEM spots are really dims, not brights. LED spots have to be switched off for oncoming traffic at night, but really lights up the road when needed.

OEM=LED

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Race Dog
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 11:26:39 am »
LC OEM = LED bright very leke to ride with
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle