Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What to do for Amageza 2015  (Read 7452 times)

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

Re: What to do for Amageza 2015
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2014, 10:15:31 am »
Hi

You are 100% correct w.r.t 'the better' RALLY choice.  

At this stage we got the Dakkie, and it was in an accident (front wheel blowout) with lots of cosmetic and subframe damage.  A rebuild/repair/respray would cost about R 10 000 to R 15 000 all doable in-house.  It got about 80 000km on the clock. We already got the WP front suspension modified for the Dakkie during a previous project.

** snip **
Just wondering - unless you are just out to show case your modification skills?
** snap **
100% correct again (almost)

We already built a frame for a Buel cafe racer/bober based on the Bottpower project and previously a Formula Vee race car. Since Rockfox Projects now focus 100% on the motorcycle industry it is the ideal project to showcase our skills.  The bike will also be used on 'sedated' weekend off road trips.  ;)

It is not only about 'just out to show case'.  The final product must be 'usable' as well.  ;D

Mike originally bought the 450 KTM to be adapted for rallying.  This project is still on track and will result in commercial products for Rally conversions.

Also in the pipeline.
We are developing a roadbook holder, CAP repeater, odometer, tower, etc. etc. for the Rally market.  These units will go through vibration testing early Feb 2015.

The pricing will be EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE.

Adie
rockfox.co.za
Laat ons Stof maak
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2014, 11:27:43 am »

[/quote]

Must admit having had one before, the absolutely LAST bike I would think of as a good platform to start with when purpose building a bike for the Amageza is a BMW Dakar  ???

[/quote]

Strange you say this - lets not forget that the Rotax engine is pretty bullet proof and Richard Sainct won a Dakar on a F650RR and Borman also did his Dakar attempt on one. Yes the RR was much modified but then so too will this Dak I think if Adie and Co. do some RR homework, as I am sure they ail,l they will be on the right track with a good power plant and starting point.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:10:04 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2014, 11:47:27 am »
Cracker,

we will build a complete frame,  At this stage we must decide whether to use ChroMoly or aluminum.  (We need to shed 30kg before the 'Rally goodies' are attached.  :o )  The problem with CrMo is the neck tube and gusset material.  Not easy to get hold of, actually, impossible as it is not used in aircraft building !!

Some interesting figures emerged during the research stage.
On the KTM690 the suspension travel is around 250mm and the ground clearance is 280mm.  Mathematically it means that the ground clearance will be 30mm on full compression.  If we want to be REALLY technical and the tyres are only 1 to 1.3 bar for traction there would be another 15 to 20 mm compression.  This will actually make the bashplate bottom out.  ???   Initially I thought that would not be possible but then saw a video of an enduro bike race where the clearance was around 40mm.  MOERSE scary if you think of the stresses through the frame and suspension.  The CAD (Solidworks) will work overtime to do stress analysis.

Ross, we totally hijacked your thread now,  maybe I must start a new build thread for this project.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline alanB

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2014, 01:41:06 pm »
Hi

You are 100% correct w.r.t 'the better' RALLY choice.  

At this stage we got the Dakkie, and it was in an accident (front wheel blowout) with lots of cosmetic and subframe damage.  A rebuild/repair/respray would cost about R 10 000 to R 15 000 all doable in-house.  It got about 80 000km on the clock. We already got the WP front suspension modified for the Dakkie during a previous project.

** snip **
Just wondering - unless you are just out to show case your modification skills?
** snap **
100% correct again (almost)

We already built a frame for a Buel cafe racer/bober based on the Bottpower project and previously a Formula Vee race car. Since Rockfox Projects now focus 100% on the motorcycle industry it is the ideal project to showcase our skills.  The bike will also be used on 'sedated' weekend off road trips.  ;)

It is not only about 'just out to show case'.  The final product must be 'usable' as well.  ;D

Mike originally bought the 450 KTM to be adapted for rallying.  This project is still on track and will result in commercial products for Rally conversions.

Also in the pipeline.
We are developing a roadbook holder, CAP repeater, odometer, tower, etc. etc. for the Rally market.  These units will go through vibration testing early Feb 2015.

The pricing will be EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE.

Adie
rockfox.co.za
Laat ons Stof maak

Ok understand your motivation now. Essentially you just be using the engine and building a whole new bike around that?

Look forward to seeing the results.  :thumleft:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline alanB

• Grey hound
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2014, 01:44:05 pm »

Must admit having had one before, the absolutely LAST bike I would think of as a good platform to start with when purpose building a bike for the Amageza is a BMW Dakar  ???

[/quote]

Strange you say this - lets not forget that the Rotax engine is pretty bullet proof and Richard Sainct won a Dakar on a F650RR and Borman also did his Dakar attempt on one. Yes the RR was much modified but then so too will this Dak I think if Adie and Co. do some RR homework, as I am sure they ail,l they will be on the right track with a good power plant and starting point.
[/quote]

I suppose it's the same as saying that a Toyota Hilux is good choice given that Genial does well in the Dakar?
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2014, 02:52:06 pm »
Guess so ... or Mini?  :biggrin:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2014, 12:10:02 pm »
I'm sitting here dream about something i cannot do but i can dream.

Being too unskilled to do the Amageza and too poor I will build a bike from old stuff if i could afford to do it.

What say you gents about a RD 350 LC motor in a Yamaha IT 495 frame? (49 kw @ 8500 rpm enough?)
Should be a wicked bike methinks.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2014, 04:52:30 pm »
Calculate how much fuel you'll require for a 275km range in sand and then decide if it is possible to carry it.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2014, 09:00:33 pm »
for a 2T it's a bit more complicated  - you'll need a tow vehicle  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Lots of calcs there, ChrisL, enough to keep you busy for the Xmas period ..............................  :bueller:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2014, 09:36:58 pm »
think I am going to build one from a DR650
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2014, 09:28:07 am »
Hell guys

I'm relatively new to the forum but you got me exited reading through all the threads.  I'm even considering doing the Amageza now!

I am fortunate to own a KTM 640 Adventure (2007) and still have my off roads (KDX 200 and WR250F).

Will the off roads be capable to convert as the Katoom is a bit heavy?  :peepwall:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline SteveD

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2014, 01:26:38 pm »
Hell guys
I'm relatively new to the forum but you got me exited reading through all the threads.  I'm even considering doing the Amageza now!
I am fortunate to own a KTM 640 Adventure (2007) and still have my off roads (KDX 200 and WR250F).
Will the off roads be capable to convert as the Katoom is a bit heavy?  :peepwall:

A 640Adv rode Amageza this year, but I agree it is a bit heavy. A huge advantage is that you won't have to add much to it.
I would not really consider the KDX200.
I noticed a WR250 competed at the Australasian Safari, I think last year. The advantage is that most of the kit (tanks, fairing etc) for the WR450 should fit the 250.
A TTR250 finished Amageza this year, pretty well too!
Not sure if the WR250 engine is suitable, I would check first with people that actually ride them.......
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:52:41 pm by SteveD »

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2014, 09:44:05 am »
Hell guys

I'm relatively new to the forum but you got me exited reading through all the threads.  I'm even considering doing the Amageza now!

Will the off roads be capable to convert as the Katoom is a bit heavy?  :peepwall:

In the sand, the heavier bikes are no problem as they track nicely in the tracks.  Most of the sandy bits are 2 spoor.  Rocky step-ups, that's a different story. Any of the plastics registered and on the road?

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2014, 10:06:35 am »
yep, the 640 is already a rally bike - as is  :thumleft:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline mtbbiker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2014, 10:27:25 am »
sub
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2015, 08:36:59 am »
Morning All,
No a problem with the hijack it has been a very interesting read.
I think that I am going to wait for Alex to arrive back before committing to any bike. I did however ride some sand these holidays and I think that I may battle with the heavier 690 :-\.
Plans are to atart the build early feb.
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion