Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ400 shock settings,how to ?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Skipskop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
DRZ400 shock settings,how to ?
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:11:53 pm »
Please explain the shock settings to me, somebody. I see the screws that click when you turn them in and out. Mine was set 5 click out, front and back. The bike seamed to give a hard ride, aspecially on big bumps and the back shock is hurting my back  ???  I would like a more plush ride seeing that I dont race but ride more rough rocky terrain at a slower pace. Can I get that wif the setting of the little screws ?
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DRZ400 shock settings,how to ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 09:16:24 am »
Five clicks out sounds ridiculously hard to me but it depends a bit on your shock. Shim stacks are not all the same in all year models. Start adjusting from the soft side. Then go halfway in. If it feels too rough go to 1/4 in. If it feels too pap go to 3/4. Pay attention to traction over badly rippled tar on acceleration, this will reveal an overly hard damper in the rear. Once yu get the adjustments right in the rear you will notice what you have to look for in the front.

In general wallowing is too soft, poor traction and lack of steering precision when cornering hard on bad tar is too much.
All this will only work if your bike is correctly sprung and the preload set correctly from the start.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Skipskop

• Race Dog
  • ;-)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 09:42:41 am »
If you say a 1/4 in, where do I start off from, do I turn the screw out till it stops ? And then a 1/4 turn in . I did turn them in till they stop, that was 5 klicks in from where they where set when I got the bike, then turned them out, I stopped at 10 clicks, scared the screw will come out of the shock.
Which way is softer, out or in.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:46:13 am by Skipskop »
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline Skipskop

• Race Dog
  • ;-)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 02:51:32 pm »
I got it thanks. All the way out is soft and turned it in for harder. Now I see on the back shock is a little screw at the bottom of the shock. What is that setting for, must it be set the same amount of turn as the top screw ?
Yamaha CV80 Beluga