Going Back - 8 Years Later

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydiver

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250L
During 2015, I was part of an active adventure biking group in my home town. We went on rides at least once a month. My bike at the time was a Yamaha XT660R. One of our group was an active mountain biker and he knew all the nice forest trails around Haenertsburg and Magoebaskloof. He guided most of the adventure rides and the rest of us just followed him wherever he took us on his KTM 990.
On one such a ride we all met in Haenertsburg and Mr 990 led us into the forests and around Ebenezer Dam on various routes. We were eight riders and the bikes were: 2 x KTM 950, 2 x KTM 990, 1 x BMW GSA, 1 x XT660Z, 1 x XT660R and 1 x BMW 650
1686330665305.jpeg

I was new to the area and loved the scenery and the views. During our ride that day we exited a forest, hopped onto a tar road for a few kilometers and just before we got back onto gravel, I saw the name Houtbosdorp on a road sign.
What a great road. It was actually a winding mountain pass going all the way down into a valley with farms on both sides and great views as far as the eye could see.
We all stopped at the top of the pass to take a group photo of the bikes and then...... (as always, when KTMs (just joking :devilish:) are part of a group ride, it became a race down the pass and along the valley all the way to Mooketsi where we stopped to re-group and to fill up with fuel. The stunning scenery was forgotten and any good intentions of taking some photos disappeared in a cloud of dust as soon as the first Akrapovic roared to life at the top of the pass. :LOL:
I always wanted to go back and ride the pass at a slower more sedate pace in order to appreciate the views, breathe in some fresh air (instead of dust and Akrapovic fumes) and stop to take some photos along the way.
Here is the group photo taken during 2015.
1686331001990.jpeg