Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 690R Tyre Selection?  (Read 4267 times)

Offline Bensien

Re: 690R Tyre Selection?
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 10:18:57 am »
Regarding the width of the tyres. I have measured quite a few lately and it usually corresponds with the stated width when you measure the tread width between the knobs, using a calliper. The more aggressive the knobs, the more the ones on the edge of the tread will protrude past the sidewall and the bigger the effective width will be.

Something else I found interesting is that there can be a substantial difference in width between an unmounted tyre and a mounted, inflated one. Some tyres seem to shrink while others grow.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline yogidabear

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 10:36:21 am »
Just an update if anybody is interested. Changed the Karoo 3 rear out for the 140 Mitas E09 which fits no problem even though it is chunky.

Tar - I expected the E09 to be noisy and handle worse, however there is almost no difference between them. Just for reference though there was a massive difference between the Sahara OEM fit and the Karoo 3

Dirt, sand, thick sand, mud - hands down the E09 but by a loong shot. Am going to post the Karoo 3 on the forum now for sale as it is never going on my bike again.

Offline Rooi Wolf

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Op die Hantam hoogtes..
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 06:58:31 am »
I put a Perelli MT21 Rallycross on the back just before my last trip. Changed from an E07 that I got my bike with.

An amazing tyre. Very good grip and performance in all sorts of terrain. It throws rocks up the size of half bricks at the slightest twist of the throttle. It bites into sand, gravel, rocks whatever I put it through.

It is not going to see much more riding though, the knoblies aren't badly worn, but most of them show cracks at the base. I did ride hard, and this is probably just getting to grips with the bike's appetite for rubber.. It did about 2 000 km.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:08:29 am by Rooi Wolf »

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 07:03:04 am »
I put a Prellii MT21 Rallycross on the back just before my last trip. Changed from an E07 that I got my bike with.

An amazing tyre. Very good grip and performance in all sorts of terrain. It throws rocks up the size of half bricks at the slightest twist of the throttle. It bites into sand, gravel, rocks whatever I put it through.

It is not going to see much more riding though, the knoblies aren't badly worn, but most of them show cracks at the base. I did ride hard, and this is probably just getting to grips with the bike's appetite for rubber.. It did about 2 000 km.

Yeah had one on my 640. Lekker tyre but it lasted 1500kms
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Richard Smit

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2015, 08:15:54 am »
Yep. The MT21 is my tyre of choice on the 690. Great performance.

Hard acceleration on tar, and or rocks will do this when the tyres are still new. Give them about 200 km, and/or 5 heat cycles under gentle riding conditions, and the knobs won't crack like that.

Offline Rooi Wolf

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2015, 04:40:22 pm »
Yep. The MT21 is my tyre of choice on the 690. Great performance.

Hard acceleration on tar, and or rocks will do this when the tyres are still new. Give them about 200 km, and/or 5 heat cycles under gentle riding conditions, and the knobs won't crack like that.

Shot Richard.

How would you describe a good heat cycle?

Offline Richard Smit

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2015, 08:18:22 am »
To me, a heat cycle is about warming the tyre up to "normal operating temperature" on a +/- 5 km ride, while avoiding hard acceleration, fast cornering, or hard braking.

Offline Rooi Wolf

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 12:14:43 pm »
I put a Mitas Sava MT23 Rockrider  on the back and a Perelli MT21 Rallycross on the front about a 1000 km back.

The Rockrider holds on to dirt surface soos kak in 'n wolkombers.

The Perelli front looks very good still after some rough surfaces.

I would like to see how this combo will perform in terms of durability, but performance wise very good so far.