Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Globescout Top Box  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Jaco Naude

Globescout Top Box
« on: May 17, 2015, 05:07:37 pm »
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem with their Globescout Topbox. For the life of me I just cannot get the bolts to remain in place when doing offroad thecnical riding (not that serious riding).

Are these boxes only meant for the tarred roads, or does anyone have some ideas how I can fasten this without the bolts coming loose / shearing off.

Tried loctite and the double nut locking method, and in both instances the box came loose.

Any advise would be appreciated....

I attached a few pictures of my desparate bush fix this weekend in Lesotho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline DaveT

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • This is my personal text
Re: Globescout Top Box
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 08:00:55 pm »
Sal more fotos neem van myne en post. Ek het een mounting plate gekraak en die tweede een mooi gebout. Het jy nylock nuts gebruik?

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
Globescout Top Box
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 03:14:47 pm »
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem with their Globescout Topbox. For the life of me I just cannot get the bolts to remain in place when doing offroad thecnical riding (not that serious riding).

<Snip snip>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hildr goes through these bolts like crazy. Poor Pauli has spent more time replacing these than selling me stuff. Good service that.

But, I've stopped using the supplier bolts. Just this morning I almost lost my box again, after only two months.

This is the sheared bolt.

So I previously turned my own spacers on the lathe, and I also removed the thread from the threaded rod where it goes through the luggage rack threaded inserts. I found that my homemade setup lasted for almost a year. My reasoning is that the threaded rod should not be fastening at three threaded locations, a bolt like this should only be threaded in one spot, or in my case where I use threaded rod, two, the top and bottom. Any flex can then be absorbed by the bolt, otherwise you have no play.

This morning I removed the inserts completely. So maak mens:

(I accept no responsibility for damage to yourself or your bike, and I am sure this will screw with your warrantee)

Step 1. Disassemble what is left and removed top box and mounting plate.
Step 2. Tap on top of sheared bolt with a light hammer to remove insert.

Tapping on the bolt from the top removes the insert.

Insert removed

If your insert does not come out easily, you are doing it wrong.

Viola!
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline Jaco Naude

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 03:29:46 pm »
I have in the interim switched over to high tensile bolts (12.9 or something along that line), so far it seems as if I have sorted out the problem, but I guess time will tell. They are not stainless steel though, so they might rust over a period of time, though I treat them with some silicone spray. I still think there is too much overhang and weight at the back. If it fails again, then I am going to do the same, but I am going to use considerably bigger bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jangys

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 03:37:52 pm »
You should have bought a Touratech box.

Offline Jaco Naude

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 03:46:38 pm »
What do they cost these day? I am afraid to look after the rand took a slide...

Offline jangys

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 03:49:19 pm »
I am not sure, but never had any issues with mine..

Offline Jaco Naude

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 04:19:11 pm »
So the Zega bracket alone almost cost as much as what I paid for my top box...R5300 for the sturdy adventure bracket. I see those Zega panniers now start at R25000, going up too R40000. No price on top box alone, but I suspect it will be more than R10000....

Offline jangys

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 04:27:13 pm »
You asking me or telling me? Just saying that I have never had any issues with mine.

Offline Jaco Naude

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 04:37:22 pm »
Was interested to see what they price now, so went to have a look. Might be useful information for someone who is interested in purchasing these, seeing that their design is better than that of Globescout.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 06:12:04 am »
This might not be a popular opinion, but I dont think topboxes are ideal for using on dirt/offroad. I see topboxes and  brackets of all makes etc braking on weekend trips and we have an unspoken rule in our riding group that no topboxes are to be used on longer trips.
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 08:28:03 am »
This might not be a popular opinion, but I dont think topboxes are ideal for using on dirt/offroad. I see topboxes and  brackets of all makes etc braking on weekend trips and we have an unspoken rule in our riding group that no topboxes are to be used on longer trips.

I would have disagreed with you three years ago, but opinions change as experience grows. My old '05 GS never broke a bolt on the topbox, but the overhang was miserable which cluttered the passenger space. This '13 model has the space, but the issues that come with it does not give me confidence that the topbox would survive a long trip. If I went on a long trip with it, I would have to be ready to jettison the top box. For that effort, I would rather use soft luggage.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline Noneking

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 08:31:27 am »

I would have disagreed with you three years ago, but opinions change as experience grows. My old '05 GS never broke a bolt on the topbox, but the overhang was miserable which cluttered the passenger space. This '13 model has the space, but the issues that come with it does not give me confidence that the topbox would survive a long trip. If I went on a long trip with it, I would have to be ready to jettison the top box. For that effort, I would rather use soft luggage.

Agreed,

Only reason I have a topbox is to act as backrest when my wife or daughters pillion. ...........and of course to carry all their handbags, make-up, hats etc ;D
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 12:16:15 pm »

This is true.  A topbox is only good on tar.  It is an item easily overloaded and it sits on an extremity which amplifies movement.  On a bad, corrugated road it is only a matter of time before metal fatigue sets in and posts appear in the lost and found section.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Noneking

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 01:10:40 pm »

This is true.  A topbox is only good on tar.  It is an item easily overloaded and it sits on an extremity which amplifies movement.  On a bad, corrugated road it is only a matter of time before metal fatigue sets in and posts appear in the lost and found section.

:thumleft:

Gryshond het laasjaar oppad Dullstroom toe sy GSA se rear frame morsaf gebreek op grond vanaf Tonteldoos agv die topbox.

(Moet bysÍ hy moes by Dwerg op sy 690 bly op daai pad...... :pot:)
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 01:27:02 pm »
my frame op n 2008 GS het ook agter gegroet agv swaar topbox. nou is ek ook maar redelik anti-topbox. sterkte met die oplossings, maak net seker hulle sit solid...geringste rattle en dit is tickets
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 02:57:17 pm »
my frame op n 2008 GS het ook agter gegroet agv swaar topbox. nou is ek ook maar redelik anti-topbox. sterkte met die oplossings, maak net seker hulle sit solid...geringste rattle en dit is tickets

Oplossing is hou die topbox vir inkopies in die dorp en kry 'n Ortlieb sak, of iets dergliks (daar is baie opsies), as jy steeds panniers wil gebruik.  Hy le lekker dwars, met 'n laer COG en is pap so daar is nie so 'n groot stress op die raam nie.  Maak ook lekker aan die panniers vas.

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 02:58:50 pm »
Apologies to the OP, I see we have now totally hijacked this thread.  But I hope the suggestions are valuable nonetheless.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 07:30:03 pm »
Apologies to the OP, I see we have now totally hijacked this thread.  But I hope the suggestions are valuable nonetheless.

:deal:
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 07:51:19 pm »
Ek stem- topbox werk nie op grond nie