The 1200GS - from a 990S KTM owners perspective - (UPDATE)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Firstly, this is based on my experience over the last 5 days and a total distance of about 2 100km
Secondly, this is seen from a riders perspective with what I'd say of Average capabilites
Thirdly, start a brand war and I'll lock the thread  ;D
Fourth and lastly, This how I experienced it - no-one else - just me

In no particular order:

Tyres:
The tyres on the 1200 were much more expensive, but I suspect will last far longer. I saw a set of TKC's on Camojo's 1100 that will EASILY reach 10 000km - but then he does not ride like a hooligan

I found that hard tyres on the GS on dirt are a SERIOUS no-no. Front worked for me at 1.6 and rear at 2.0 (we were heavily loaded). Anything harder and the GS became a PIG.
Whereas on the 990 I am comfortable with a front at 2.2 and rear at 2.4 to 2.6

Suspension:
This was a no brainer to me - taking the load into consideration - rider and pillion and kit, the GS sucked: BIG time
I can see why the bashplates do not last as we often bottomed out, even on minor bumps.
Here the KTM is far superior IMO.

Having read all the comments - Just did an overnighter with Journeyman & kie. I purposely loaded the KTM roughly the same. My wife and 1 sleeping bag less. I stand by my comments here

Brakes:
The dual braking of the front brake took some getting used to, but I found this to be quite lekker and hardly ever used the rear brake. The rear brake was very soft and spongy - either this is normal or this particular bike had something wrong with it (It had 4 540km on it when I collected it)
The brakes were good and never faded.
I did miss the sharp rear brake of the KTM, but then this is just a hooligan thing as the type of braking I do on the KTM is not conducive to tyre longevity.

The GS front brake / dual combination is superior and nose diving is less likely. The KTM rear brake is better though

Heated grips:
What can I say !!!!
KTM - catch a wake-up. I know that you can aftermarket, but dammit BMW has a winner here. It was FARKING cold on the way home last night

Instrument Panel & feul consumption:
BMW, seems to stick to more-or-less the same setup on all the bikes. The trip computer is handy and even more important is that it's on the handlebars. Again KTM sells an accessory for this, but this should be standard.
I found the temp guage usefull and liked the fuel consumption monitor.
This is a nice to have, but IMO not a deal clincher.
A word of warning - the feul computer can bugger you around. We spent almost 50% of the day pottering down dirt roads at 100km per hour and based on that, the computa told me I could get 450km on a tank. However, into the afternoon and we were moving at 150km/h and I nearly did not make the next town. That tank eventually only gave me 270km

The trip averaged out at about 6.8l / 100km. My KTM would have been around 7.5

The GS has a winner with the current gear indicator on the dash. You get used to riding without it but it is a damn nice feature

Rideability / Comfort:
The GS is a good all-rounder. It's tar abilities are excellent and fully loaded as we were, 160km/hour sustained was NO problem. It's relatively good on dirt. It SUCKS in sand. My wife NEVER complained at all about the comfort. We did close on 800km yesterday, about 30% on dirt and she was happy. This is definately a 2-up type adventure tourer of note. I can see why they sell in such large quantities. The footpegs are USELESS though - much to narrow. Standing should be BANNED on these bikes  ;D

The KTM on the other hand EXCELS on dirt. It's seat is hard and narrow and not nearly as comfortable as the GS, and according to my wife not pillion friendly at all. Had I been on the KTM, I would have travelled alone !!  >:D  I found it very difficult to convert back to the KTM and it took about 100km to do so. The seating position is higher and more forward on the bike. The handlebars are definately narrower which makes the steering more sensitive. I almost wanted to go back home and fetch the GS handlebars. Riding that GS in retrospect felt like riding a Harley  ;D  It was on a really lekker dirt stretch yesterday that I got used to the bike again. I was bouncing across the road like a pogo stick - and I was in control - lekker lekker
Personally though, I felt similar discomfort on the GS seat after much the similar distance, so for me this is a 50/50 on both bikes.
I did miss the RAW power of the KTM and often wished I had it on the trip when on a lekker dirt section and not the GS. Again though - horses for courses
The GS motor is strong - very strong. It easily accelerated in 6th and very low speeds could be achieved in this gear.
The KTM is more snatchy and without changing the front sprocket (Which I have done), the KTM is much more liable to stall or shudder at slow speeds in the higher gears Again confirmed

IMO, the Clutch is crap on the GS, even a minor bit of slip in the sand whilst getting off a very sandy verge caused a terrible burnt smell. Here the KTM has a better set-up (and much cheaper to replace)

I thought I was wrong here, but confirmed again yesterday. The KTM has better mirrors - not sure how to describe it but rear vision is just better

Accessory plug & Toolkit
Catch a wake-up BMW. The plug should be close to the dash, or at least a second one. Tools - whats that ???
Come now - BMW on call is not the only answer - maybe for roadbikes - but not adventure tourers
Full marks to KTM in this department

Speed

Both bikes can do over 200km/h easily. The GS just gets there easier (NOT QUICKER - just easier) Sustained high speed is easier on the GS

Summary:
I'll add to this as more thoughts come to mind See comments in RED

So:
I had a GREAT ride on the GS. It is a fantastic Adventure tourer and VERY pillion friendly.
Would I buy one if I could - YES, then my wife as a non rider could join in the fun
It's a solid machine.
People complain about KTM service costs, repair costs etc....   mmmmmmm, I'll take my chances on that. Drop that GS and you will cry even bigger buckets than you KTM maatjie - there's expensive bling on that bike

Would I sell the KTM - NEVER  ;D ;D ;D
I'm too young still (at 40  >:D) There's still to much fun to be had.
So I need to calm down  ??? - Not just yet

I've just looked at my Wakkerstroom pics again - some of the shenanigans we got upto would not have happened on the GS

So for now the KTM has podium in my garage, there's a GS in my future, just when - I cannot say  :)

I've done a semi comparison here but should actually not have. You cannot compare the bikes. The are totally different. What I CAN say is that the 1200GS and 990KTM are BOTH very capable bikes. I was reading the latest TOP BIKE where a senior exec from the one company was again comparing sales against the other - They should stop doing that !!!! - Maybe they should also take the other make on a 2500km trip

Bike for money or Money for bike

;D With the GS, I say you get more bike for your money, but it cannot stop there. You have to look at the application. When you leave the tar (afterall - is this not what this forum is mostly about  ???), then you have to pay less and get more BIKE - That's why I ride what I ride