Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kykdaar's 610 SM thread  (Read 6005 times)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Re: Kykdaar's 610 SM thread
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 10:05:04 am »
So a few quick posts to document pre-weekend progress thus far.

First off, I will have to make a plan with the front sprocket cover. I suspect that a bigger than 15 is fitted up front and knocked it clean off the casing. The below two foto's seems to confirm that fact. Will attend to it this week-end.   

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 10:17:23 am »
So after stripping, cleaning and re-assembling the carb, I turned my attention to the tank, the petcocks and the tank vent.

Started by washing out the tank and this round sponge like thing fell out. No idea what it is.

Cleaned the pre-filters on the petcocks on both sides. Apparently the tank is divided into left and right side compartments and this design is necessary to ensure both sides drain. Personally I think it is to feed that big carb with enough fuel and I suspect you will run into fuel starvation if you shut the left hand side off - even with a full tank.

Also gave me the chance to have a look at the low level indicator mounted in the stack - clearly something going on in the top part there. Don't know if it contains some kind of sender, but remnants of the wiring to communicate its message was still in place. I soldered new wires on and fitted it into a decent connector plug that I would later marry up with the wiring harness.

Fuel sorted.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:19:07 am by Kykdaar »

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 10:37:59 am »
Now the wiring -

First off, I removed the previously mounted LED spot lamps. I do not like the ide that it was spliced into the bike's main beam and prefer spot lamps that are individually controlled by means of a separate switch mounted on the handlebars.

The previous owner bought a brand new instrument panel (apparently over R4K). That is the good news. The bad news is that the male connector block, as well as the wires that it must match up to has been butchered.

I dug around a bit and found the wiring sequence for the connector block. The plugs are made by Mouser, and I would normally have had to import. Either that or a new wiring harness as the plug is at the end of the harness and most of its wires are integrated into the main loom. Luckily I have well-informed friends and two days after hitting this seemingly dead wall I was busy wiring up the connector.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:10:19 am by Kykdaar »

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 10:55:57 am »
Right, so I first fit a spare second hand instrument cluster and power the bike up. It flickers but does not seem to want to complete its start-up sequence. Eish.......my heart sinks.

Decide to try the new unit and plug it in. Immediately powers up and complete its start up sequence. Every light on it works - indicator, light, high-beam, whatever. I am ecstatic - mission completed.

Then, as I touched the wiring lower down where it connects the main loom to re-arrange things, the unit flickers and re-starts. So, there is either a short somewhere or an issue with the power cable further down the loom.

Just one thing for it - I cut the plastic sheath from the loom as far back as I dared, including each separate branching thereof. The next hour is spent examining every single wire, looking for a crack or exposed insulation. Nothing. I sit around for a while, a bit uncertain how to proceed.

Then I get up, take a large roll of insulation tape and decide to "re-build", isolate and properly fasten this loom. I build a logical path for it, making sure it is tightly wrapped and properly secured whilst still leaving enough space for the headlight to be re-fitted. Job done I reassemble everything and switch on the ignition. The unit powers up like normal. I press on the loom in a few places, as well as move the bars from left and right a number of times - no issues, everything stays working the way it should.

Now it is just the rear light that must be sorted out. The brake lights work, but not the main light - and no I am not so lucky that it is only the bulb ;D There is probably some wiring there too that needs some care.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 11:05:08 am »
As you work through the bike you examine, observe and can draw some conclusions.

I would describe the bike is being in very good condition for a 2006. The issues I picked up thus far is fair wear that can be expected.

When I bought the bike I was given a bag full of previous parts that was replaced by new ones - these included an impeller, piston rings, timing chain and timing chain adjuster. Looking at the gaskets and gasket material it is obvious that this took place, and not too long ago.

Certain rubber parts have become cracked or perished - but again that is to be expected and will be attended too.   

Fact is these are great bikes and once I get it up to my standards, I hope to have many miles on it.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 11:20:11 am »
Replicating a previous post on my carb here, so that it is all together -

Found the bottom fuel cap to be full of crap ;D

Must fit some inline fuel filters to prevent a repeat.

The inside of the bowl is reasonably clean and I spend some time checking the float hight spec and looking fir wear in the needle - everything cool.

Then I take out the jets to clean. This thing has some monster jets - a 172 main, a 50 pilot and a 85 starting jet. Holy smokes - no wonder it pulls like it does

Online blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 03:04:45 pm »
Cool A -- :thumleft: Looks like you having a lot of fun and enjoying it

As for that sponge coming out of the fuel tank  ??? ??? ???
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 03:24:44 pm »
Cool A -- :thumleft: Looks like you having a lot of fun and enjoying it

As for that sponge coming out of the fuel tank  ??? ??? ???

Having fun for sure :thumleft:

Will wrap up the electrics and fuel stuff, then spend a day cleaning and reassembling. The need to ride is strong with this bike :ricky:

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 09:09:41 am »
Kykdaar

Between the DR and the SM's challenges you're fast becoming a master mechanic!

Well done for sorting the issues out yourself! So rewarding, and half the fun of owning the bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 08:52:29 am »
So the weekend arrives nice and miserable - great for spending in the garage though :)

First order of business was to finally wrap up the wiring. First I put the finishing touches to the front - now it is neat and logical.

Last remaining issue was the bike's backlight - it refuses to light up, even though the rear brake lights work. The globe is fine, both filaments intact, so I had to start digging deeper. Identify the correct wiring and start tracing back - I get 12V power all the time, yet the thing remains dead. Take the rear light fitting itself out and have a closer look. I test each terminal for continuity and quickly discover that the terminal feeding the normal backlight shows no continuity.

Fortunately I am able to source a replacement from Blazes - and there was light  ;D. Next I cut off all the connections made for the aftermarket indicators previously fitted and moved then backwards so that the rear light loom and integrated dust grommet could fit inside the rear light housing the way it is supposed to.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 09:06:52 am »
Next up was getting the remaining issues for COR out of the way - bought a new legal plate and fitted that as well as the license disk.

The remaining big challenge was to re-engineer the fitting off the sprocket cover. It was basically hanging on by one bolt after the front pillar mount snapped off against the casing.

I remover the metal remnant of the pillar, cut the plastic part that it rested on off to act as a small spacer for the top bolt. I then fabricated a frame clamp with a side flange, fitted a aluminium flat bar to that which went in behind the front cover bolt hole and which could act as a support for that bolt - whilst keeping everything away from the sprocket. The last touch was to strengthen the rear of the cover to keep it still and the whole thing nice and fixed.

From a flimsy to a solid mounted cover - not too bad. That, together with a good clean of the chain also took care of the last possible COR issue and I will put the bike through the test this week.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 09:18:10 am »
Next I refitted the carb, air box and filter.

As picked up by Sidetrack earlier air box has nice fine cracks running through it and need replacement - when viewed next to a TE 610 air box it is evident how wide the throat of the SM is and why it eats petrol like it does ;D

A more serious concern was the inner part of the air filter box assembly. This looks to be the part which fared the worst in the bike's 10 year history. It is seriously old and fragile and needs replacement as soon as possible. Its plastic has deteriorated very badly and if you push too hard at some places it feels as if you will break right through without any issues.

Nevertheless, back for now whilst I order and await the parts.

Start the bike up - which by the way is never exactly the same like, for example the DR. Sometimes she like some throttle, at other times you need only press the button. As temperamental as the come, but when you get on and twist her ear you are grinning like an idiot within a few minutes and all issues are forgotten. At least I do not forget to notice that the rev counter, speedo and odometer is working perfectly. 

There is something special about Italian bikes.

Online blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 01:40:35 pm »
Hi Boet ---

You need to Tig Weld another nut on there --

You are missing the upper chain roller in this picture --I have one for you  ::)

Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 02:00:52 pm »
Hi Boet ---

You need to Tig Weld another nut on there --

You are missing the upper chain roller in this picture --I have one for you  ::)

Hi Mike,

I was looking at the parts fische this morning when I first figured out what that missing piece is ;D

Will try and get the welding and tapping sorted.

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 08:34:00 am »
On mine the impeller stripped on the shaft completely yet I had no overheating issues luckily ! The stock part is cheap pewter (like many impellers). Sure there is a nice bling upgrade available.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 11:42:49 am »
Last night I put in a loaner air filter box inner and air filter filament - thanks Blazes! - whilst I await my parts order and in order to ensure that here are no ingress of anything into the engine via a possible broken air filter box.

From the word go, the filter that came with the bike looked wrong to me - surely the holes should sit on the inside towards the carburettor feed and not to the outside.

When I compared the proper Twin Air filter to what I have it is as if it is an inverse of the original - i.e. made for an air box that is fitted to the left side of the bike.

I re-fitted everything including the plastics and the bike is now ready for COR.

It is cold in the garage - even the dogs think that I am nuts spending so much time there  ;D

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 03:17:04 pm »
Passed COR this morning with flying colours, so all the hard work of the last few weekends paid off :thumleft:

Now into the next phase of sorting a few key things out and then the bling will begin ;D 

Offline Matie spero

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 03:18:42 pm »
ek het die voorreg gehaad om haar oor te draai vandag!!!!!

goeie bliksem daai is n monster!!!!!

eks is jaloers!!!!
I could agree with you! But then we both would be wrong.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline Matie spero

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 03:23:08 pm »

eks is jaloers!!!!

hier by 149km/h toe chicken ek uit!!!!! maar daar was nog!!!!
I could agree with you! But then we both would be wrong.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Online blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 03:33:16 pm »

eks is jaloers!!!!

hier by 149km/h toe chicken ek uit!!!!! maar daar was nog!!!!

Just starting to get going J at 149 kmph hehe
Current Scooters --