Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: differences between a grey import D650se and a Dr650se for the local market  (Read 1609 times)

Offline shanti

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
I am busy trying to buy a DR650se and have found one , it was pointed out to me it might be a U.S spec or OZ spec DR650se.
The bike is a grey import though I have only seen some pictures of the bike from the side , no details .
What are the differences with these bikes ?
Is the jetting the same ?
What are thee pitfalls for buying a grey import DRr650se ?
Does anyone here on the forum own or have owned a grey import DR650se and could helpfully give your honest opinion ?

There are warning lights going off in my head but maybe they are for nothing , buying this bike represents years of saving as I dont buy things on credit .

Much thanks for all your opinions and maybe it can also help some-one else in the future with this decision .
For this reference I have found a 2013 with 3200miles I can only assume on the clock for R48 500

cheers Derek

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
There are forkal differences. You find us spec and aus spec xr's here. It means it wasnt imported via suzuki thats all. Honda Cayenne do it all thr time
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
I was also always paranoid about grey imports.

Yet I bought a US spec bike without any hesitation. Only small differences: rear light, some carburettor changes, speedo differnces -  nothing major.

It is a DR, it is solid. Suzuki sells spares, I service and fix myself so it works for me.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
US spec explodes if you ride it on the left side of the road ....

:biggrin:

Seriously though the biggest difference will be the speedo in MPH vs KM/H, might be a bit annoying. The ugly rear light on the US models can be changed easily. I won't be put off if I can find a clean non SA bike.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:28:15 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
I commented on your other thread, and the above replies confirm what has been mentioned.

Ask Kykdaar or Sidetrack to go and have look at the bike. Confirm at Suzuki Motor Cycle Mecca? And put your worries at ease!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
I commented on your other thread, and the above replies confirm what has been mentioned.

Ask Kykdaar or Sidetrack to go and have look at the bike. Confirm at Suzuki Motor Cycle Mecca? And put your worries at ease!

:thumleft: I buy all my spares for my grey DR at Suzuki Motor Cycle Mecca from Neels.

Point is, in your case, that if they are selling it off their floor, then they should support it? Confirm with them.

I generally ride around on the bike on Saturdays, so let me know if you want me to go take a look.

Offline Bensien

Seriously though the biggest difference will be the speedo in MPH vs KM/H, might be a bit annoying. The ugly rear light on the US models can be changed easily. I won't be put off if I can find a clean non SA bike.

The speedo has km markings as well, but they are to feint to read while riding. I painted little white dots on my speedo rim to designate 40, 60, 80,100 & 120 and got used to it very quickly. I have a template for a km/h speedo face, but the odo still works in miles, so its not worth the bother
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul

:thumleft: I buy all my spares for my grey DR at Suzuki Motor Cycle Mecca from Neels.

Point is, in your case, that if they are selling it off their floor, then they should support it? Confirm with them.

I generally ride around on the bike on Saturdays, so let me know if you want me to go take a look.

Thank you , that is very kind - I am dealing with Symm Grobler - there seems to be 2 Motor cycle meccas ? This one is at 210 Flowers street cnr Paul Kruger - http://www.assist247.co.za/Search/service-provider.aspx?sp_id=2434607
I need to confirm today as there is a lot of interest in the bike ( maybe just dealer speak ) , I think for my own sanity I must also go forward today , this thinking continually about replacing my KLR is affecting my work , I start to weld some jobs up and suddenly I find my self by the PC looking up U.S spec bikes , or maybe its just my KLR punishing me for being unfaithful .
again that is a very kind offer and much appreciated   

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
No problem and yes, it is the one in Flower Street that I am referring to.

Offline spankme

US spec bikes not specific ,headlight throws light to the wrong side for ZA also some models are leaned out to pass emission tests.
AUS bikes are the same as ZA

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
Thanks for all the input , Kykdaar did you have to do something with your headlight ?

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
The DR650SE does not have an asymmetric head light. This is the one and only snag you may hit with a grey import but then I had six KL650C's all from KMSA and each and every one was sold with the wrong asymmetric head light and needs a bit of sticky tape to pass RWC.
(Please note: The sticky tape trick ONLY works with old school Fresnel lens H4 head lights not with projector type)

With regards to the DR650SE: The biggest point against an US spec bike IMHO is the miles speedo and there it's specifically the trip counter and odo which annoys as all road signs in SA are in km. Replacement of the speedo sets you back in the region of R2,500 but at least is straight forward. I would consider this and work it into the price you pay for the bike from the start. Less of an issue if you only commute.

The US spec tail light is butt ugly and the size of a soup bowl. The small and stream lined Euro tail light isn't exactly cheap, close to a Grand for a new one. It is also a straight swop.

Besides those two parts the bikes are as good as identical. There are small differences between carb needles and jetting depending on which country model and which year model the bike is but nothing worth worrying about.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Bensien

The US spec tail light is butt ugly and the size of a soup bowl. The small and stream lined Euro tail light isn't exactly cheap, close to a Grand for a new one. It is also a straight swop.

Besides the looks, the American spec lamp is rubbish. The metal bracket will snap clean off if you ride the bike hard off road. Last time I checked the small lamp was R800 at Suzuki
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Alphat

The speedo has km markings as well, but they are to feint to read while riding. I painted little white dots on my speedo rim to designate 40, 60, 80,100 & 120 and got used to it very quickly. I have a template for a km/h speedo face, but the odo still works in miles, so its not worth the bother

Hahaha, I did exactly the same on my US spec grey import. A little tippex and you can make your speedo metric, or close enough.

I replaced the giant, fugly, US spec rear light with an XR copy bought from Startline for R100 odd and then built an LED cluster to fit it. This light is too small for the rear fender recess so I cut a piece of white ABS plastic to fit the recess and put the light on top of that. You can sort of see it in the pic below but it is obscured by the rack.

Other than those, any other differences don't make a difference to me  ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:38:32 am by Alphat »
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
The DR650SE does not have an asymmetric head light. This is the one and only snag you may hit with a grey import but then I had six KL650C's all from KMSA and each and every one was sold with the wrong asymmetric head light and needs a bit of sticky tape to pass RWC.
(Please note: The sticky tape trick ONLY works with old school Fresnel lens H4 head lights not with projector type)

With regards to the DR650SE: The biggest point against an US spec bike IMHO is the miles speedo and there it's specifically the trip counter and odo which annoys as all road signs in SA are in km. Replacement of the speedo sets you back in the region of R2,500 but at least is straight forward. I would consider this and work it into the price you pay for the bike from the start. Less of an issue if you only commute.

Besides those two parts the bikes are as good as identical. There are small differences between carb needles and jetting depending on which country model and which year model the bike is but nothing worth worrying about

Thank you for your time to write this Jurgen  , Suzuki ownership here I come !!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:37:14 am by shanti »

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
Alphat , Bensien , Spankme , Chopperpilot , Kykdaar and leCap  - thanks guys , my mind is put at rest Suzuki here I come !!!

Offline LouisXander

• Forum Whore
Alphat , Bensien , Spankme , Chopperpilot , Kykdaar and leCap  - thanks guys , my mind is put at rest Suzuki here I come !!!

OK, nou wta het ek gese dat ek nie hier genoem word nie? Ek het mos gese daas forkal verskil nie!!!!!!!!   :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul

OK, nou wta het ek gese dat ek nie hier genoem word nie? Ek het mos gese daas forkal verskil nie!!!!!!!!   :imaposer: :imaposer:

Nee fok , I was trying to be so polite and I forken forgot you , sorry buddy
and to LouisXander for the ' there is forkal differences  ' comment - shot

Offline LouisXander

• Forum Whore

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
here is some close ups of the bike