Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Akrapovic damage - 690  (Read 3824 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Akrapovic damage - 690
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 07:14:04 am »
Would there be any point in trying to contact the distributors or would that be a waste of time?

It couldn't hurt to contact them. I suspect the damage was caused due to the packing being moeg, but I'm definitely not an expert.

You might have a point.
It seems to have a heat induced discoloration at this point..
A neglected exhaust definitely runs hotter

Doubt agents will warranty - clearly well used. Typical vibration stress fracture and denegration. Carbon end caps are available but get the Vaseline out (even on evilBay they are $$$). The discolouration is normal for titanium. I would suggest either sourcing a trashed can for harvesting the tailpiece - a very tricky weld on TiT thin and on a bend but you may find a wunderkind who can do it. Then trim 10-15mm off can (may need to also shorten the perforated through pipe the same) and re-drill and re-rivitt with SS rivitts after a repack. I am sure Scortch or one of the other local zorst guys would do it for you.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:28:32 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Noneking

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 01:36:20 pm »
Would there be any point in trying to contact the distributors or would that be a waste of time?

It couldn't hurt to contact them. I suspect the damage was caused due to the packing being moeg, but I'm definitely not an expert.

You might have a point.
It seems to have a heat induced discoloration at this point..
A neglected exhaust definitely runs hotter

Doubt agents will warranty - clearly well used. Typical vibration stress fracture and denegration. Carbon end caps are available but get the Vaseline out (even on evilBay they are $$$). The discolouration is normal for titanium. I would suggest either sourcing a trashed can for harvesting the tailpiece - a very tricky weld on TiT thin and on a bend but you may find a wunderkind who can do it. Then trim 10-15mm off each can (may need to also shorten the perforated through pipe the same) and re-drill and re-rivitt with SS rivitts after a repack. I am sure Scortch or one of the other local zorst guys would do it for you.

Not what you would expect from "premium brand " slip-on after 13000km.
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Online boland

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2015, 10:20:48 am »
From the distributor:

With the next system you purchase ensure you re-pack the silencer often this is one of the biggest contributing factors to the rivets and end caps coming loose. What happens is once the exhaust wool is burnt away the damping it offers is no longer there and this then starts adding more vibration which will loosen anything.

Spoke to the OEM DEPT Akrapovic KTM at the Factory and they recommend the packing is changed at a minimum of every 6000km for average use. The Dakar bikes get changed for every stage to ensure no failures may occur which can cost them overall positions. Many things on bikes today require periodical checking to ensure they last...

Does that apply to all their products? Should I be doing the packing on my 2 1200's??

The big singles are very heavy on packing. 2 cyl + much less so. Or thats how I understand it

Offline Dux

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 08:04:40 am »
The end cap can be repaired , a mate of mine does laser welding , awesome work , pm me if you are interested
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Xpat

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 10:53:05 pm »
Dwerg, have you got the Wings yet? I have ordered one and if everything goes well I want to install it on Saturday.

If you've got it, did you do the 15 minutes idle procedure after the install? Ta

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2015, 06:29:34 am »
Dwerg, have you got the Wings yet? I have ordered one and if everything goes well I want to install it on Saturday.

If you've got it, did you do the 15 minutes idle procedure after the install? Ta

Haven't had time to get to the bike yet. A bit busy at work at the moment. I am going to install the stock pipe for the time being
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2015, 09:32:08 am »

Haven't had time to get to the bike yet. A bit busy at work at the moment. I am going to install the stock pipe for the time being

Ended up installing the stock pipe. Just started the bike and rode to work without any idle procedure and it ran fine. Intake noise is now louder than the pipe but it sounds quite nice actually
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2015, 09:34:10 am »
Oh and I now have the Acra and baffle lying around if anyone has use for it. End cap is totally stuffed by now
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:36:38 am by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2015, 09:39:34 am »
Oh and I now have the Acra and baffle lying around if anyone has use for it. End cap is totally stuffed by now
why don't you have a new stainless steel cap made just shorten the slipon a bit before fitting it
Something to think about...
When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation, change the situation, or accept your it. All else is madness.

KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm, 2012 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2015, 11:55:06 am »
why don't you have a new stainless steel cap made just shorten the slipon a bit before fitting it

I once traded in a car because the window winder broke. This pipe is dead to me
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2015, 11:18:25 pm »
Dips asb sal jou pm stuur
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline bud500

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2015, 09:15:39 am »

The big singles are very heavy on packing. 2 cyl + much less so. Or thats how I understand it
There must be some truth in this. Have done 60 000km on my Wings with zero issues. I am not aware that I should do packing at any stage.
May the bridges I burn light the way...